Forty six

~ Annalise

"We can turn back around if you want," Reed tells me as his hand holds mine in his lap.

We sit parked in the parking lot.

My leg bounces up and down and my hands are clammy as I grip onto Reed's.

I let out a shaky breath and look at the front doors.

Don't be scared. Just get up and walk.

"I...no we- we can go. Inside I mean," I mutter.

I can feel his gaze grazing the side of my face, trying to read my expression. "Annalise I'm serious. If you're not ready we don't have to go inside."

My head turns to face him as he stares at me with concern, those green eyes searching mine.

I suck in a shaky breath. "No- no- I need to go inside."

"You don't need to do anything," he rebuts.

I shake my head. "No Reed, I need to."

He stays quiet for a few moments and we sit there in silence.

He then pops the door open. "Well then, c'mon. Visiting hours only last so long." And with that he steps out the car.

I gnaw on my bottom lip and hesitantly open the door.

Nothing is easy when it feels like each memory weighs on you like a barbell too heavy for you to lift.

~

My hands are clammy and I'm gripping onto Reed's for dear life.

We're currently following one of the nurses through the dim hallways.

I try to focus on the feeling of Reed's thumb running up and down against the back of my hand. Except all I can think about is the number of steps the nurse in front of us is taking. The way we're getting closer and closer. The moment when I'll finally see her.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

"Alrighty," she drawls with her slightly southern accent. "Your sister is in there at one of the tables. I'll be at the front desk if you need me."

I stand there in the doorway, my eyes scanning over the place.

It's a large visitation room with high ceilings and long rectangular tables.

Several people are spread out and talking with each other.

One mother sits across from her son with her head in her hands.

A little girl sits across the table from a large bulky man. He holds a Barbie doll and she holds one, a few of the dolls accessories are strewn on the table in front of them.

My eyes make there way across the tables, over each person until they finally land on the woman sitting on the end of one of the tables in the corner of the large room. Her eyes are trained on her hands in front of her. A blank expression on her face.

I let out a shaky breath.

"Annalise?"

I swallow and turn my head towards Reed. His eyes search my face.

"Hi," I respond lowly.

He grins a tiny bit. "Hello to you too."

I tightly smile and then look back to Vera who is picking at the sleeves of her shirt.

"I'll be back when I'm done," I tell him, reluctantly letting go of his hand.

His gaze flips to me and he tilts his head. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"