xxxiv. 𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒊𝒓 𝒊𝒔 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅..?

THREE DAYS LATER

THREE DAYS LATER

Cassidy lay in a hospital bed, connected to machines, with a poignant painting by Theodore adorning the nearby wall. Theodore and Lucas, hand in hand, observed as Lucas read to his twin sister. Beside Cassidy, Max remained unconscious, once again ensnared by Vecna's grasp.

Despite Theodore and Eleven's efforts to thwart Vecna, both were captured and trapped in Vecna's mindscape. Will and Mike, however, managed to establish communication with Theodore and El.

Will expressed gratitude for Theodore's support during his time in the Upside Down, and it became evident that they were better suited as friends. In their attempt to rescue Max, Theodore employed his mind control powers to reveal Vecna's deepest fears.

Amidst the chaos, they discovered Mildred, betrayed by Vecna. A day later, Mildred awoke in a hospital bed, restrained by dampening cuffs crafted by El and Theodore to prevent her from wielding her powers after the Christmas tumult.

Mildred experienced a profound nervous breakdown, grappling with guilt and repeatedly questioning Theodore, Dustin, Max, and Lucas about Cassidy's well-being. Choosing not to disclose Cassidy's fate, they decided to admit Mildred to Pennhurst for her deteriorating mental state and her involvement in harmful actions. Regarding Eddie, despite his heroic sacrifice, they aimed to clear his name. Unable to directly implicate Vecna, One, Peter, or Henry Creel, they strategically used Mildred as a scapegoat in their pursuit of justice.

In a heart-wrenching conversation, Dustin confronted Mildred, expressing his disbelief, "My sister would never do this. You're a monster," reflecting the pain of losing his best friend. Since Mildred's release to Pennhurst the day before, no one had visited her. The hurt caused by her actions had left a rift, and the others distanced themselves, unwilling to have anything to do with her.

Lucas' face all beated up and Theodore's head was in pain from the fight between him and Vecna.

Lucas read aloud, "He opened his eyes, and further words died in his throat. He forgot about the need to sick up that horrible parody of wine. He forgot about his mother, and Uncle Morgan, and his father, and almost everything else. Speedy was gone. The graceful arcs of the Rollercoaster against the sky were gone. He could feel the hair stirring on the nape of his neck, could feel a goofed-up grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. Speedy! I'm here, my God! I'm here in the territories!" He glanced at the peacefully sleeping Cassidy and Max, grateful that they managed to persuade the doctors to provide them with a shared room.

Cassidy lay in a coma, adorned with a neck brace, casts on both broken arms, and casts on both broken legs. Max mirrored Cassidy's injuries. Theodore, despite his efforts, couldn't get any response from Cassidy. They held onto hope that El, upon her arrival, might have the ability to reach Cassidy in ways others couldn't.