Chapter 10

February 14, 2020

February 14, 2020

Taron Haze

First month wasted for the year 2020 as I sighed and walked down the streets, making my way back to work as a barista once again. Not really gettin over yet with the fact I used to be so energetic when going. However, after all those suspensions in just a month, I feel lost to continue my job since then.

But of course as a matter of fact, I need a Friday salary to begin with. Special thanks to my colleagues; Leon and Rhian for giving me that motivation to keep going.

One of the papers I needed to fill out for my attendance before entering the kitchen was missing. I suppose my irresponsibility is still active. Dashing up the stairs to retrieve it, I witnessed Rhian comforting our new workmate who appears to be in emotional distress as I looked just next to the office of our supervisor like a sneak peek.

"Don't keep overthinking about it, it won't make you feel any better," Rhian said, trying to sound as comforting as possible.

"I know, it's just... I can't believe they would do that to me," Leon replied, clearly upset.

"Hey, listen to me. You did nothing wrong. Just take a few deep breaths and try to relax," she said, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. "And here, I have some tissues with me if you need them."

While she was speaking, I walked in and asked, "What happened here?"

"This morning, his girlfriend broke up with him," she explained to me since I just walked in. "He had planned to bring her here for a date around the mall."

"Wow, that's tough," I replied, with genuine concern in my voice. "That must have been painful for him to bear. I'm really sorry to hear that."

I felt a wave of sympathy wash over me as I saw the pain and sadness in Leon's eyes. I had known him since the day I started working at the cafe, and this is the first time I have seen him like this. Leon does not show much emotion or reaction towards anyone. Sometimes he talks about his problems whenever he feels comfortable sharing them with us. He was always the strong and confident one, the parent of our colleagues, but now he was reduced to a broken man.

I sat down with them near the water dispenser and talked. We continued to listen as he poured out his heart, telling us about how difficult it was to be in a relationship with someone for more than two years. He also mentioned his dreams and goals for their future, and how he had been planning to go out with her for weeks to show her how much he cared. But now all those plans disappeared in a blind of an eye.

The only thing we can do to help him is to give him some space for now. I volunteered to take his place for the kitchen and serving of orders, It was decided that the best course of action to help him was to give him space.

In an effort to support the current situation of our colleague, I offered to take over his responsibilities in the kitchen and serving of orders, while Rhian would entertain the customers at the cashier.

Winter Markle

My eyes were fixed on the Balai 2020 planner on the table in front of me, a wide smile stretching across my face. I had finally done it! I had obtained the planner I had been dreaming about since November. It had taken a considerable amount of 3,000 pesos (72 SGD) for 18 drinks, but it was worth it.

Glancing at the clock, I realized it was time to leave. I had plans to meet my partner at the other branch of Balai Dahon Cafe in a few minutes, and I was eager to show off my new acquisition. Slipping the planner into my tote bag, I headed out into the brisk cold air, feeling the cold breeze brush against my cheeks because summer is only a few weeks away.

As I approached the cafe, I noticed Taron sipping a cup of hot white chocolate mocha coffee at a table near the window, where we usually sit when he's off duty and doing his research. A grin spread across my face as I walked up to the table and pulled out the Balai 2020 planner.

"Look what I got," I exclaimed, holding it up for him to see. "I collected from a different branch since the ones here have limited stocks.

My partner's eyes widened in surprise, and a smile lit up his face. "Wow, that's amazing," he said.

"I know, right? I cannot believe I finally got it. It took me so long, but it was worth it."

Taron nodded, taking the planner from his hands and flipping through the pages. "It's really beautiful," he said, admiring the elegant design and the promise of a new year. "Speaking of that green planner, I have mine too but I chose brown." 

A light bulb lit inside my head, "Since we both have our own planners, we should plan out our year with these."

As we sipped our coffee and chatted, Taron surprisingly handed me over a fresh bouquet of pink roses. I covered my mouth with my right hand as my way of reaction to that moment. "Happy Valentine's Day, Winter.

"I thought you forgot that it was valentines day. I appreciate it, thank you!" I gave him a hug that I never gave anyone before."

He accompanied me to the parking lot after our date ended. Suddenly, his phone vibrated, and he accidentally answered it using the phone's speaker, "Babe, where are y-?" He immediately ended the phone call.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Just a batchmate from college. She frequently refers to her best friends as babes, including myself. "Don't worry too much about it," he said nervously. "Anyway, is that your ninong behind the wheel?"

"Yeah. I'll go ahead."

"Are you sure you don't want me to accompany you there?"

"No no no... I'm okay on my own. See you I guess! Bye!" I told him in a fragile voice.

"Alright. Bye!" He waved at me after I walked to the other side of the road.

I walked through the front door of my house, feeling the weight of the evening settling in my bones. Imagine being so excited for a Valentine's Day date with someone you love, but it ended in heartbreak and betrayal. All those coffee dates, nostalgic nights, surprising gifts such as fresh bouquets had all been a facade, a cover-up for the ugly truth lay beneath our relationship.

As I kicked off my shoes and hung up my green sweater, I couldn't help but wonder how I had missed the signs.

Had I been blind to the red flags?

Had I been stupid to pretend it was just nothing?

Had I been so desperate for love that I had ignored the warning signs?

Questions started to swirl around my mind as I walked into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. My hand shook as I lifted the glass to my lips, my heart pounding in my chest.

But then, as I sank into the bed, tears began to flow down my face. Similar to two clouds merging and expressing themselves through changing weather patterns, my mind felt intertwined and complex. I wept for the loss of love I had thought I had found, for the trust I had given so freely, and for the pain that now consumed me.

Good thing my aunt and grandpa weren't home yet this Friday. I would not want them to see me at my lowest. Because if they are worried, I am placed under even greater pressure to remain strong. And the pain I am in should be nothing for them to be concerned about.

It was a long and lonely night, with me drowning in my own thoughts and emotions. That was just the beginning of how our coffee love story began to crumble piece by piece.