Chapter 11

March 14, 2020

March 14, 2020

Winter Markle

Four weeks had passed since that day and I couldn't move on from it. I haven't talked nor answered his calls for the past few days. I spent most of my time locked in my room, avoiding any kind of interaction with anyone, except my closest friends. We've been having late night voice calls at Gischord together as our only way of communication.

Our school recently announced that there will be no classes starting next week due to the spread of novel coronavirus. Anyways, it's only for two weeks so I don't mind.

"Have you finished packing up?" my aunt asked as she looked over from the door.

"Not yet," I replied.

"You better be done before lunch, okay?" she said, and I nodded while hugging my pillow. I couldn't resist the fluffiness of it. My brain was still divided on whether I should get up to prepare or not. The buzzing sound coming from my phone annoyed me. I knew the notifications might have piled up again, like a bunch of homework left unfinished on my study table.

As soon as I got up, my phone rang. It was my friend, Jeneca.

"Hey, Jeneca, what's up?" I answered.

"Hey, Win! I heard you are going to the hotel in Manila with your mom today," she said.

"Yeah. What about it?"

"Are you sure they are still going to accommodate guests? The lockdown begins tomorrow, have you watched the news?"

"I don't know how it will work, Jeneca," I said, looking at the calendar on my wall. "We'll only stay there for the night and go home by midnight."

"Oh okay, but take care, Win. See you with the besties in two weeks!" she said.

"Alright! See you soon!" I replied, ending the call.

After my call with Jeneca, I quickly took a shower and immediately headed to the car with my grandpa. My aunt decided not to go with us, so we said our goodbyes to her before we left for the hotel. We stopped at the gasoline station right beside the highway.

"Okay, wait here," my grandpa said.

"You sure you don't want me to go, Lolo?" I asked.

"Nope! My legs are still young," he replied and closed the door, walking towards the auto shop. I locked the car doors and checked my phone. My mom suddenly called, "Win anak, is Auntie with you?"

"Uh- no mom. She said she didn't want to go."

"Ah okay. But did you pack any toiletries and a pair of clothes for tomorrow?"

"No? I thought we would only stay until midnight because of the lockdown," I replied, realizing my mistake. I had only brought my body bag with me since I thought we would be going home later.