"It's complicated."

Steve was still very suspicious of Loki. He couldn't get it out of his head that he was up to no good. The idea that he was being nice to everyone without ulterior motives. Seemed unreal. And he wasn't alone in this thought. Natasha thought it was weird too.
He picked up his tablet from his desk. 'Tony only turned off the camera in their hallway.'  Steve quickly opened the cameras and pulled up the footage from the kitchen. He watched as Tony left the common area. 'Great timing.' He thought to himself with a grin. He watched for a few seconds before an idea came to him. 'Natasha should be here. She would catch things better than me.'
In a small rush he jogged to find the Russian spy. She was in her bedroom sitting lotus on the floor. "Ever wondered what a criminal and an Avenger would talk about?"
Natasha arched her eyebrow. "Pardon?"
He didn't even reply, simply showed her the screen. Loki and Clint were conversing about cafes. Nothing compromising in the slightest. "Oh wow." She reached out to grab the tablet. "I'm surprised you thought of this."
"I'm offended."
"Sorry, I'm just shocked it wasn't my idea."
"Mhm. Well he isn't trying anything right now."
They watched as the unlikely pair talked. Like new friends. It was a bit... unnerving. But also not. At least it was like that to Natasha. Like the two of them were actually trying to know the other.
"The better see the light leave their eyes."
Natasha's eyebrows shot up in surprise while Steve let out a gasp that sent him into a coughing fit. "Did.. did he really just say that?"
"Shhhh." Natasha put her hand over his mouth.
"Was that a joke?"
Their eyes locked. "No."
"Dangerous little dude."
Scoff. "I'm actually taller than you, Archer."
"By a few inches." Loki rolled his eyes.
"So we're just going to act like he didn't say that?" Steve asked.
The spy rolled her eyes. "He works with Deadpool. They're killers in their hearts."
"You think so?"
"I know so."
'Because I used to be just like that' She thought sadly.
They watched as Loki explained his current condition and what he thought about the government on their asses. And watched as he and Clint got along even more. It was going well.
Having seen enough Natasha reached over and turned off the tablet. "Why'd you do that?"
"Because Steve," She sighed. "there's nothing to see. They were just getting to know each other."
"But.."
"No buts Steve, there's nothing to catch. Lokis not up to something. We have to face the truth."
"And that would be?"
"That we were wrong. That we're just looking for a fight. That Loki really has changed. Or that he was never even like that to begin with."
"Natasha we can't affo-"
"And we wont take any chances. And that doesn't excuse how we've been acting. We can't afford another Civil War."
Steve had the audacity to look shameful. A frown pulling at his beautiful face. "You know I wouldn't let that happen again."
She sighed heavily. "Of course. None of us want that. But its always a possibility if we stay the way we are. We have to adjust." Even though it was her room, she left. And no she didn't slam the door behind her. That would be dramatic.
________
April 12
Just like any other time a memory showed itself to him it blurred and sped around him. Anthony rolled his eyes. It was too early for this. He had just woken for gods sake. Not even five minutes to himself before he's being scarred by Loki's life.
It stopped abruptly and he felt himself jerk with it. Now it he felt that the memory was just being mean.
"Hurry up and start already."
And so the memory did. He scanned the area for the god. This was an unknown place. He had never seen a place like this before. It was at best the projects.
"Is that him?" Anthony thought aloud and walked over to an apartment. It was. He was talking to someone. Someone he had never seen before.
"Hello, I'm Lucas. I'm here to give you the monthly relief package."
Anthony raised his eyebrow. 'Relief package?'
The person at the door echoed his question. "Relief package? I'm not sure what you mean?"
"About 1 year ago, you lost your son and his daughter to the battle with Loki. I'm here to give you a 'reparation' per se. I am aware it will not bring them back or take away your pain. But if it can help even a little..."
"Thank you, ah, Lucas, was it?"
"Yes. Like I said it is monthly so expect either myself or a colleague of mine."  Anthony watched as Loki walked up and down the streets of New York without a break stopping by numerous houses. Each one it was harder to watch. Loki looked worse after each house. So sad. So drained. So remorseful.
And even after visiting tons of homes Loki wasn't finished. He opened a portal. No Anthony didn't know where. Yet. The memory blurred again to no doubt drop him off to wherever Loki went.
"A cemetery? Please Loki don't do something weird." Yes he was fully aware that Loki did magic. But he wasn't sure if he really wasn't a witch.
He found the god looking down upon several tombstones. All of them having died the same day. Same year.
"I'm here. Again. You all probably hate me. And that's alright. I understand. I welcome you haunting my steps. I deserve it."  A droplet of water fell.
"I swear to fuck if I get wet in here Loki, I'll slap you silly." Even though he sounded irritated he wasn't. He was sad. Watching Loki in the empty, grey cemetery.
"I went to see your families. Again. They're doing fine. I'm looking after them for you. Even though you should have been able to do it. I'm sorry."
Anthony flinched at Loki's violent voice crack.  "I'm so so sorry. I know," His legs finally gave out on him. He fell to the earth. Anthony lurched forward to catch him but remembered again that this was just a memory.  "I know, anything I do will never make up for what I've done. But I will try. For all of you who lost their lives. I am truly sorry." The tears blended well with the pouring rain. And all Anthony wanted to do was hug the crying man. Pull him close and let him know it was okay.
The memory started to run around him again. PIcking up speed then decelerating. It was making him dizzy. Anthony closed his eyes to help with the spinning. If he couldn't see it, the problem would be solved. But when he opened his eyes it wasn't his bedroom ceiling he was seeing. 
The sky was ashen. Bodies littered the ground. Anthony looked everywhere at once. Or at least tried to. He noticed a palace in the distance. Asgard. This was a memory of Asgard. He scanned the area for the 'rainbow bridge' that was too beautiful for mortal eyes. But all he could see was the pieces of it that landed atop others. 
"Loki!" He knew the memory wouldn't respond but damnit he was starting to worry. "Loki!"
"SHIELD ME." Anthony snapped his head in the direction of the British voice and took off running. He found Loki tussling with someone on the ground. It looked bad for both parties.
Until Loki threw the other across the battle field and into the fucking castle.
"Damn. I knew you had a good throwing arm but....damn." So entrapped in the display of strength by Loki, Anthony almost missed what else was happening around him.
Yards away Thor was battling a wolf of sorts. It's maw hung low and hungry for Asgardian blood. Its foul breath was visible in the smog that surrounded them.
They fought ruthlessly until one of them fell. It was not Thor.  He looked over for Loki's reaction. A single tear ran down his face before getting wiped away.
'Must have been your pet.' He thought. He turned way then and closed his eyes. Waiting for the room to spin and drop him off in his bedroom. It didn't happen. The memory wasn't over yet.
"Do your worst world serpent."
Anthony turned back to the battle. A snake as long as the world wound itself around Thor. Presumably doing its worst.
It hissed at him. It's jaw slack and lunged at him.  Swallowing him whole. Anthony and Loki watched with bated breath. They could see movement in the belly of the beast.
All of sudden the snake exploded. Guts sprayed everywhere. In the middle of the corpse stood the Thunderer. Beside him, Loki groaned In annoyance. "Both sons have failed me." He hung his head low. His disappointment evident.
"You mean those were your kids?! I've got some serious questions for you."
It seemed Loki had spoken too soon. Thor stumbled a few steps before collapsing to the ground. Not moving an inch. He was dead.
"Shame, neither of you lived long enough to see it." At that quick change of mood Anthony felt like he had gotten whiplash.
'I have so many questions.' Neither could revel in what had just happened because the man from before came lunging at Loki. He was out for blood. Wanting all the smoke. Even though he knew he wouldn't be hurt, Anthony still moved aside.
He watched as the fought. Malice rolling off them in waves. He looked across the battlefield again. 'What the hell happened here?' When he looked back over Loki and the other man were gone.
It all happened in slow motion. He turned his head up to the ashen sky. Looking at the remains of the rainbow bridge. On the edge was Loki and his oppenent. They were getting dangerously close to falling. Anthony found himself running toward them. Screaming for Loki. It happened so quickly. Loki fell over. And with all his breath Anthony screamed.
"Loki!"
The memory was over. He was back in his bed. In his room. In New York. His throat hurt.
"Sir, are you alright?" He didn't even answer that question. He got up and threw on random clothes. He opened the door and walked straight out. "Sir, where are you going?" Ignored again. Around the corner, around another, down the hall. He knocked on the door and waited for it to open.
And when the door swung open to show the rooms grumpy owner, all Anthony could do was stare.
"Can I help you, Anthony?" No reply. "Anthony?"
"Sir has been unresponsive since he woke up." Loki arched an eyebrow at the ceiling.
"Alright, lets sit down." He grabbed the man by his arm and pulled him in. Loki sat him on the bed and stooped down so they were face to face.
"Whats wrong Anthony?" They locked eyes before his eyes moved to the mirror behind him. Loki sighed. Stood up and waved his hand. Magically a tea set and cupcakes appeared. He poured each of them a cup. It was herbal chamomile tea. His mother would do this for him sometimes when he was upset.
"Drink this. Then eat one of these." He passed the cupcake and tea. "You can tell me what happened when you're ready."
Loki had refilled their glasses four times before Anthony spoke. "I saw you die."
"Pardon?"
"I saw you fucking die." A tear slid down his face. "Why wouldn't you warn me of a memory like that?"
"W- what exactly did you see?"
"I saw you fucking die asshole! I saw you and Thor and some random fucking dude. Then there was this big ass wolf and a bigger fuckin snake. Thor was then fucking swallowed and KILLED by said snake." It took too much of his strength to hold back from saying 'Shame he didn't stay that way.'
"And you fucking DIDED!" Tears streamed down his face. Loki hated the way he looked when he cried. But knowing it was Anthony letting them fall made his heart clench.
Loki sat in awe as Anthony retold the downfall of Asgard. "Well, tell me what the fuck I saw." He furiously wiped away the tears.
Loki stammered, completely stunned by this news. "That was The Battle of Asgard. It was the Asgardians against Lord Surt. And as you can see it fell."
"But that's not all, is it? You and Thor are still alive, explain."
Loki sighed. "It's complicated."
"Well you better summarise."
"We did die. All of us. But then we all found a way out. After that we started from the bottom."
"You found a way out of death?"  Anthony clearly didn't believe him. But he was also in his body. Which he just saw fall into the abyss. So that means he's telling the truth?
"Yes. We escaped through the dream realm. Like I said, it's complicated."
"So it is."
"I never expected you to see that." He laughed nervously. "It may have looked bad but it wasn't for me. That was the day I took my revenge. The worst thing was that the others didn't stay dead."
    They sat in silence as Anthony pondered over everything he had learned.  'That's what he meant back then. Hah, I can't believe this shit. It's all fucking crazy.' He leaned forward to put the tea cup with the rest of the set. Then fell back onto the bed. "It's too fucking early for this."
    Loki chuckled. "Yes, it is." And fell back onto the bed next to him. "I am sorry you had to witness that.
"Sir, are you feeling better? How's your throat?"
Loki looked over. "Did something else happen?" He had asked Anthony but the AI answered instead.
"He had screamed harshly before waking."
The genius rolled his eyes. "I'm fine. It wasn't that bad. Plus the tea helped."
"Why did you scream? Was it scary?"
"Honestly, yes. For a second. Then it got worse. I was not prepared for that. I didn't want you to fucking die. Much less witness it." He sighed before continuing.
"When I noticed you had somehow gotten to the bridge I started to run towards you. Even though I knew it had already happened, it didn't stop the dread I was feeling.  And then you fell over. I yelled your name out of reflex. I didn't expect to wake up screaming, I didn't know that was possible."
"Neither did I."
"If I ever have to watch you die again, I'll personally kill you. That wasn't easy to watch." A tear slid down the side of his face.
"I promise. I'm not that easy to get rid of."
A sigh left Anthony. "I saw something else too."
"Jesus, okay. Hit me with it."
"You were crying over graves and visiting homes."
"Ah, that was a little bit after the battle of New York."
"You don't do it anymore?"
"Every few months I'll go and see the graves. Say what I have to say and then leave."
"And the families?"
"A majority of the families told me to stop because they had come to peace with what had happened. The others couldn't deal with the grief."
"How do you feel now?"
"Better than I should."
______
"Wake up. Your packages have arrived." Loki and Anthony had fallen asleep. "Wake up!" And F.R.I.D.A.Y had been trying for minutes to wake the pair up.  To no avail.
"Deadpool has started a fire. Thor has hulked out  and Winter Soldier is having a meltdown."
The pair shot up and out of bed. "Call the fire department." Commanded Loki.
"Get Bruce to handle Thor.  We'll deal with Bucky." They ran/stumbled out the door.
"Why aren't the alarms going off?" Loki questioned as they got to the lab.
"Better question, where's the fucking fire?"
"Your packages have arrived."
"For Loki's room?" Anthony questioned as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.
"Yes sir."
They let out sighs of relief. Knowing that the compound wasn't in danger of being destroyed.  "Okay. Thanks Fri." He turned to Loki. "Ready to decorate your room?"
"As long as I can pick the music."
He chuckled.  "Of course."
________
They stood in the middle of the room looking at it with a calculating gaze. "First we need to get everything out of here, then we can start painting. During that time you'll need to sleep somewhere else."
"I'll ask Deadpool. He'll no doubt use this as an excuse to sleep with Spider-Man."
"Or Strange. He hardly ever uses his room."
"But SpideyPool needs to happen, don't ruin this for me."
"Fair point. Think you can move all of this to the basement?"
"We have a basement?"
"Yep."  Anthony grabbed a tablet and pulled it up on screen. "Can you move it? Or do we need Strange?"
"Hah. Of course I can. But first we gotta put tarps over everything. My stuff isn't going down to your disgusting basement without protection."
"Okay." They opened the bags and pulled out the tarps to secure the furniture already in the room. After that Loki had Anthony back up so he had enough room to move everything.
He lifted his arms and drew random signs in the air. Anthony watched from the doorway in confusion and awe. Beneath the furniture, the ground disappeared and it fell through to the other side.
"You are incredible."
"That was nothing. Good thing too, otherwise we'd be in trouble since I'm supposed to be conserving power."
"Right. Now that that's done we can cover the floor and start painting. Should we ask the others to help?"
Loki panicked for a split second. "No. All they would do is wreck it. We can do it ourselves." But the real reason was, 'I wanted to spend time with you.'
When they were done laying down the tarp on the carpet they stood in the middle of the room again. Looking at the blank walls. Paint rollers in hand.
"We should just need the one coat because of the paint we got. But if the directions were lying we can do another. It also says it only takes a day to dry."
"Good."
"Have you ever done this before, Loki?"
"No, have you?"
"Nope." They smirked at each other. This was going to be fun.
________
Three hours later the duo walked out of the room looking starved at 15:00. They had said they would eat when they finished painting the wall. And they stuck to it.
Their feet dragged along the floor in exhaustion. Their arms didn't even swing as they walked. Thats how much they hurt.
"It looks like you two lost a match of paintball. What were you doing?"  Falcon asked from the couch.
"Oh you know, painting the walls."
He turned around to face the pair in the kitchen. "Repeat that."
"We just finished painting my room. Wanna door dash something?"
"Yeah my arms hurt too much to make anything."
"Subway?"
"Goodcents has better bread. Plus Subway doesn't have the bread you like." Loki nodded. "Fri, can you place an order for us."
"That is beneath me." Came the reply. Which caused Sam to laugh. Tony rolled his eyes.
"I'm too tired to argue with you right now. J, you place the order."
"Of course sir. Your usual and for you Loki?"
"Three 16 inch turkey on garlic pepper bread with pepper jack cheese, toasted. Lettuce, tomatoes, salt & pepper, oil and vinegar with mayonnaise."
"Is that all sirs?"
Loki turned to Stark. "Can I get a cookie?"
"I'll place another order at Insomnia Cookies for you."
"You're the best Anthony."
On the couch Sam smiled at the duo. It was nice to see them being friends. It kinda reminded him of how he and Bucky used to act. 'Let's just hope they don't go to tier 15 yet.' A/N Tier 15 is from Adventure time for all you uncultured swines.
"Would you like me to place the order for that as well?"
"Yes, thank you JARVIS. Loki, is there a specific kind you want?"
"Whatever has the most chocolate."
At this Tony and Sam laughed. "I see your sweet tooth is still goin' strong."
"Fortunately it'll never go away."
Tony shook his head fondly and asked the AI to order one box of double chocolate chunk and another box of snickerdoodles. No they wouldn't be sharing..... with Natasha, Steve, Thor, or Bruce. But the others could have some.
"Everything should arrive within 40 minutes."
"Thanks J."
"You're very welcome sir." Loki could almost see the look Jarvis was giving Friday. It made him chuckle.
While they waited they decided to sit on the couch and talk with Sam. "So what else are yall doin' to his room?"
"We're just gonna decorate it. We bought all types of stuff."
"Then we're gonna ask the others if they want to revamp their rooms."
"Do you want some help?" He was well aware that they were going to decline his offer. He just wanted to see their reactions. Loki glared at him and Tony just shrugged. Can't be too obvious.
"No, we're good. Besides, we did the hard part already."
"Anthony, you're forgetting about the big ass bookshelf."
"Fuck, I forgot about that. Doesn't matter. There's two of us. We'll be fine."
"So Tony, why didn't you ever help us with our rooms?" The teasing continues.
"Did you want me too?"
Loki and Sam locked eyes. 'Well that failed.' They thought.
"It was a joke. Besides I had Bucky. He did most of the work."
"I've been meaning to ask how you three knew each other."
"Oh that. Spider-Man introduced us. He thought we'd be good friends. After that, Winter introduced me to Sam."
Tony raised an eyebrow. "Winter?"
"Yes. I thought it was fitting since he is neither James or Bucky anymore. But he is not the Winter Soldier either. He's like the winter snow. He has layers that you have to shovel away to get to who he really is."
"I wasn't aware you were that close." All three of them turned around. Standing at the island counter was Steve Rogers. He looked a bit sad.
"We just understand each other."
Scoff. "Is that so?"
"Yes." Steve didn't say anything else. He left as silently as he had entered.
"Well that was tense."
"Extremely. Jesus, you two need to talk."
"It's not like I don't want to talk to him. Winter once told me that he liked art and I wanted to talk to him about it. I wanted to ask him how he adjusted to the human world after waking up. I thought that this would be my fucking chance but all he wants to do is cut my head off."
"He'll come around."
"Well, when you do talk to him," Winter came into the room next and plopped down next to Sam. "try to catch him in his room. He likes to paint and I think you'll like some of his art."
"Thanks for the tip. Don't think I'll ever need it though." Beside him Tony laughed. Which made him roll his eyes.
"What've you been up to Winter?"
"Reading mostly.That reminds me, there's this book I read I think you might like." Instantly he moved from his spot and sat next to the former assassin.
"Tell me everything."
Both Tony and Sam rolled their eyes. Nerds. They zoned them out and began their own conversation.
"So is he gonna be sleeping in your room?" He resisted the urge to wiggle his eyebrows.
"Nah. He was going to ask Deadpool because SpideyPool needs to happen. According to him."
"He has a point. Shame though." He smirked. Tony laughed nervously and playfully shoved him.
_______
They were all still conversing by the time the food arrived. "Sirs, the food is here."
Being the most social of the four of them Sam and Loki went and got the food. "Thanks for helping me."
"I'm only doing this because I want a cookie."
"Hah! You'll have to fight me for it."
"Okay. I can tussle with a god. Ain't no worse than the trenches." (A/N No not war trenches the hood/ghetto/projects)
When they got back to the kitchen Deadpool, Spider-Man and Clint were all there. Though Clint was in the vents.
"I was hoping you guys wouldn't show."
"Thats mean Lokes."
"Fuck you mercenary." Which only made him giggle.
"He just didn't want to share his cookies."
"OOOOOO, what kind did you get?"
Loki smirked. "Double chocolate chunk." Spider-Man gagged under the mask.
"You don't have to share Loki. Thats what the other box is for. I got snickerdoodles."
He swooned. "You truly are a blessing, Anthony."
His blue face turned darker. Thankfully Loki didn't see because he was unpackaging the food. But everyone else did. And yes they were going to tease the hell out of him.
"Here's your sandwich and chips." Loki passed him his order and then began to inhale his. Tony genuinely wondered if he breathed.
After finishing their food they all stayed in the living room and chatted.
"DP, can I sleep in your room while the paint dries?"
"Paint?"
"Yeah, we painted my walls." He gestured to his stained clothes.
"I mean sure but it's a fuckin mess in there."
Spider-Man shook his head. "You'd do better sleeping on the couch."
"We're cleaning it tomorrow. No buts. If you complain once I'll slap the boxes outta ya." Loki laughed hard at that. But shut up quickly when he saw DP looking at him. No doubt glaring at him underneath the Spider-Man mask.
"So I guess that means you'll have to sleep with Tony." Both Loki and Tony glared at Sam.
______
When it came to spending the night in Anthonys bed it wasn't an awkward experience. They had already slept together a few hours before so sleeping in the same bed again wasn't too bad. Actually they both enjoyed it. Having someone next to them felt nice.  Though neither would admit it.

Walk a MileOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara