12

Hero

"So, is that, like, the fun part of being old?"

Abuelo's eyes snapped over to me, his head tilted over. "The hell did you just say to me?"

"I mean, you're getting to come back to Chicago with us. Since you're old and retired."

"I might be old and retired," he said, putting his cigar down, "but I could still beat your ass."

"Yeah, okay," I said.

"Age is but a number," Abuela said, pressing a sweet kiss to Abuelo's cheek.

"Yeah, considering you weren't even born when Abuelo was a senior in high school."

"Alright, cool it," Abuelo chuckled out, making me laugh.

"So, you and Amelie, are you guys together?" Abuela asked, sitting next to Abuelo.

"Amelia. And, no, we're not a couple," I said, "we've just kinda agreed to co-parent."

Abuela nodded, a smile tugging at her lips.

"Listen, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea," I said, "but it works for us. And it's gonna work for us."

"No, I get it," she said, nodding, "I'm just shocked that by this point, you two haven't created this emotional bond that's forced you into a relationship."

"We're, like, best friends," I said, "since you guys are coming home with us, you'll get to meet her. She's amazing."

"Yeah?" Abuelo asked, urging me on.

"Yeah," I said, smiling, "she's, like, super big into the debate team, which she said she's giving up because of the baby, but I won't let her. She wants to be a lawyer. She could argue about anything, really. And she's smart, definitely one of the smartest people I know. A-and she's kind, and thoughtful-"

I cut myself off at both of their expressions, making me knit my eyebrows together. "What?"

Abuelo's radiant smile crossed his face, making him shake his head. "Continue."

"Anyways," I said, "yeah, she's thoughtful. She's gonna make for a great mom."

"She sounds great," Abuela said, smiling a soft smile.

"She sounds like she's the girl you're in love with," Abuelo chimed in.

"Ew," I scoffed, "no."

"Yeah, you didn't hear the way you talked about her."

"Of course I did, I was the one saying that shit-"

"It's different, Hero," he said, "and the more you deny it, the more it's gonna eat at you."

"I'm not denying shit," I chuckled out, "I mean, yeah, I have love for her in my heart. She's the mother of my kid, so I feel like I kinda have to."

"No, I get that," he said, "I don't know. Just... don't fight it so hard."

"I'm seriously not fighting anything-"

My phone cut me off, making me pull it out of my pocket. I immediately answered when I saw Amelia was calling.

"Hey," I greeted, "is everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah, everything's fine," she said, "she's just being, like, super active. I tried to FaceTime, but apparently it's not available."

"You feel okay?" I asked, smiling as I walked around aimlessly.

"Yeah," she said, "just tired. And very convinced that we're gonna have a baby very soon."