15

Hero

A baby's cry.

I couldn't tell if I was sad because my daughter was crying, or if I was happy, because I could finally hear my daughter crying.

My eyes fluttered open, making me look down at her. "Hey, baby."

I reached towards the coffee table for her bottle that Amelia had gotten ready for her, glancing over at the couch. I hoped Amelia hadn't woken up.

"Her bottle's to the left," I heard Amelia's groggy voice say.

"I got it," I said, softly parting Isla's lips with the bottle. Her blue eyes looked up at me, and I couldn't help but to smile the widest smile down at her.

"Pretty girl," I whispered, watching as her eyes slowly closed as she sipped on her bottle.

"You want me to take her?" Amelia asked, sitting upright on the couch.

"No, you go back to sleep," I said.

She rubbed her hands down her face, raking a hand through her hair. "You're spilling her bottle."

I looked down at her, noticing I was soaking her onesie with the milk. I sighed a heavy sigh and pulled the bottle away from her, gently sitting her upright.

She began to cry again, making me look towards Amelia for some sort of guidance. She stood up and gently grabbed Isla from me, holding her in her arms as she soothingly bounced her up and down.

"Hey, will you go to her bag and get that extra onesie?" She asked, making me nod and stand up.

Mine and Amelia's bodies were officially running on fumes. I knew being a parent at my age would be difficult, but it was a big adjustment.

Absolutely worth it, though.

"Hey, which one?" I asked, digging through the bag.

"Whichever one, Hero," Amelia said, and I could tell by her tone that she was getting impatient.

I grabbed one and took it to the couch, holding it out to Amelia. She grabbed it, sighing a heavy sigh.

"She, uh, she won't take her bottle," she said, looking up at me.

"'Cause she knows you've got the fresh stuff right there," I joked, making her look up at me as she peeled Isla's onesie off of her.

"Too early?" I asked, gripping my hips.

"I don't even know what time it is, the hours are running together," she said, "and we have school in the morning."

I heard footsteps coming downstairs, making me look towards the staircase.

"Everything okay?" Mom softly asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, did we wake you?" I asked.

"No, my bladder did," she said, "guys, why don't you go upstairs and get some sleep? I'll stay with her. You know she loves spending time with me."

"You really don't have to," Amelia said, "she-she won't take her bottle, her pacifier, anything."

"Here," Mom said, situating herself in the recliner, "give her to me. We'll see what she'll do with me."

Amelia gently handed her to Mom, making Mom smile down at her and caress her cheek. Amelia held her bottle out to her and Isla took the bottle, no issue.

Mom winked up at us. "Go. Seriously. You guys have school in a few hours."

"Thank you," I said, but I could tell Amelia was hesitant.