19

Josie

I looked at myself in the restroom mirror, barely even recognizing myself.

I looked dead.

Like the news of Eros cheating on me had completely drained the life out of me.

I leaned into the mirror, rubbing my fingers across my cheeks. This was the first time, probably in the history of Josephine King, that I hadn't cared to put on makeup.

I didn't care to do much of anything.

The door swung open, making me look at the girl who walked in through the mirror.

"Hey, Jo," she greeted, "you look pretty. Did you do something different?"

I reached for my purse, throwing it over my shoulder. "Stop lying."

"I-I was being serious," she said, "are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I muttered, walking out of the restroom and into the hallway. Hero, Henry, Fran, and the rest of our crew was hanging around where we normally did — only one person was missing.

And if he had the balls to show up, I'd lose it.

"Hey, babe," Amelia greeted, leaned against her locker, "you good?"

"Look at my under eyes and tell me what you think."

She lifted an eyebrow, looking over at Hero when he began to talk.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Eros and I broke up," I calmly said, earning the eyes of everyone.

"It's about fucking time," Hero and Henry said in perfect unison, making me look between the two.

"Ah, yes, find pleasure in my misery," I muttered, grabbing my sweatshirt out of my locker.

"You okay?" Fran softly asked, looking over at me, "i-it's okay if you're not. It's okay to miss something, even if it was toxic-"

"I don't miss him," I firmly said as I slipped my sweatshirt on over my head, "I'm perfectly fine."

I blinked back tears, shooting myself a glance in my small mirror before closing my locker.

I didn't miss him — in fact, I hated the thought of him. But I was not okay. Ever since he'd told me about him cheating, I sat in my own company and wondered why I hadn't been enough. What the other girl looked like. What she had done to make him want to do that to me.

Hero's eyes were like lasers into me, making me sigh. "What, Hero?"

"Who broke up with who?" He asked.

"I broke up with him," I said, keeping my answers short.

"Was there a reason?" He asked.

"Why the interrogation?" I asked, making Amelia nod and look at him.

"Yeah, what's up with you?" She asked.

"I was just asking," he said, "I-I wanted to-"

I cut him off with a simple glare, my eyes wide. "Hero."

I'd known Hero since we were born — I knew him.

"Hero," I said, my heart sinking to my stomach, yet again. Frankly, I was tired of that feeling. I'd felt it more in a few days than I'd ever cared to.

He looked guilty. It was the only expression he could even muster up, guilt.

"Did he tell you the truth?" He softly asked, chewing on his lip.