7. тнe neѕт

As Freya started to approach the outlook over the ocean, the last person she expected to see was Hiccup

As Freya started to approach the outlook over the ocean, the last person she expected to see was Hiccup. The boy stood there watching as all the ships departed from the docks, taking his best friend with them.

"Didn't expect you to be up here," The red head spoke.

"I could say the same thing about you," Hiccup looked back at her with his brows furrowed and a frown displayed on his face before turning back to the water.

"I'm assuming your dad didn't take things well,"

He let out a sigh, "You could say that,"

"Yeah...mine didn't either," She was now standing next to the boy, fiddling with her fingers.

"Why, what happened?"

"Well, my dad practically disowned me and hates me for associating myself with you," She said bluntly. "The whole thing is just—a mess. You must feel horrible. You've lost everything: your father, your tribe, your best friend,"

"Thank you for summing that up," Hiccup said sarcastically. "Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I found him in the woods? Would have been better for everyone,"

"Yep. The rest of us would've done it. So why didn't you?" Freya asked, turning her head towards him. "Why didn't you?"

"I don't know," He sighed, turning away, "I couldn't,"

"That's not an answer,"

"Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?"

"Because I want to remember what you say right now,"

Hiccup finally turned back towards her, "Oh, for the love of...I was a coward," He stammered. "I was weak. I wouldn't kill a dragon,"

"You said wouldn't that time,"

"Whatever! I wouldn't! Three hundred years, and I'm the first Viking who wouldn't kill a dragon,"

The wind blew through their hair as silence started to overcome them. The scrawny boy turning away again, ready to walk away from the conversation. "First to ride one, though," Freya spoke up. "So...?"

"I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him and I saw myself," His green eyes connected with her blue ones.

"I bet he's really frightened now, what are you going to do about it?"

"Eh, probably something stupid," He wiggled his shoulders.

She cracked a smile at his statement, "Good, but you've already done that,"

"Then something crazy," The brunette pointed his finger towards the freckled girl before turning around and running away. Freya wasting now time in following after him.

~~~

Hiccup and Freya rounded up all of the other teens and led them to the arena. Hiccup only telling the group that he needed all of their help for his plan to work and that they needed dragons. The Haddock boy stood in front of one of the huge cages in the arena as the rest of the group approached him.