Part 28

Alec

I was glad that the public got to decide who won. It was a good idea, and everyone seemed to agree with it. The show ended right after Mr Eric's announcement and I rushed to Daniel with a grin.

"We've totally got this in the bag." I said to him. He was standing at the water stand at the back of the hall, pouring some water into a plastic cup. The water spilled a bit out of the cup due to my unexpected presence.

"Gosh, Alec. Way to creep up on me." He said. I grabbed the water from him and gulped half of it down. He gave me an annoyed look. "Seriously, I thought we agreed I'd never give you water again." He said referring to the day he threw a water bottle on me. He tried to reach for the cup, and I gulped the rest of it down. I reached my hand out to give him the empty cup. "You're an idiot." He said.

"Thanks for the complement." I said. He turned around not bothering to take the cup. 'Chill Daniel." I told him right when he was about to walk away. He turned back around as I refilled the water. "You have to lighten up." I handed him the cup. He rolled his eyes before taking the cup and drinking the water.

"Hey guys." Reginald said as him and Sizwe appeared behind Daniel. I hadn't even realised they were approaching us and the fact that he was even greeting us was mind blowing. They hadn't talked to me since the day I approached them at the candy store. Daniel turned around quickly to see who it was. It took him a few seconds to process that Reginald was greeting us.

"Hi." We both said and almost at the exact same time.

"We just wanted to apologise to you guys." Sizwe said. Now I was definitely surprised. "What you guys are doing, it's a good thing."

"And what we were saying about you Daniel." Reggie looked at Daniel "It wasn't cool, and we're sorry for it."

Daniel was surprised and he took a few seconds to come up with something to say "It's okay. As long as you get it's wrong now. And I want to apologise for how I attacked you the other day." He said referring to that day after school when he got mad at Reggie and tackled him to the ground.

"It's fine. What I had said about you wasn't cool. I was just jealous that Alec preferred you over us."

He said the last part so honestly that I started to understand him a whole lot better.

"Alec, do you forgive us?" Sizwe asked. With the surprising exchange of information, I forgot I was part of the conversation.

"Yes. I'm just glad you realized that downgrading other people just because their different from you isn't right." I said to him.

"Well, then I guess we'll see you guys around." Sizwe said as they were about to turn around.

"Wait." I stopped them. "Um...I don't know if you remember but my birthday is tomorrow, and I want to invite you guys to the party if you want to come." I said before getting out two invitations from my pocket. I had given out to all the kids in the talent show, and some of the kids that attended the talent show.

"Yah sure." Reggie smiled as he took them and gave one to Sizwe. "We'll be there."

Daniel

When my mom asked what I wanted as a celebration present after the talent show, I wasn't hesitant to say a bag of candy. She never lets me eat any. She looked at me with disapproval.

"You asked what I wanted." I whined. She agreed saying only for that day. It was a huge bag of candy which Allie and I both picked out, with both our parents looking at us as if we lost our minds.