Part 15

Alec

I couldn't believe after everything, Daniel still doubted my friendship. Maybe I should stop trying to be friends with him. What's the use if he doesn't trust me? I think we spend most of our time angry at each other instead of friends anyway. I can't believe Reggie would make up a lie like that.

"Alec!" My mom yelled

I just arrived home from school and I'm in my room. She wants me to come eat but I just don't have an appetite. Not with thinking about how lousy I am at choosing friends. Clearly Reggie and Sizwe weren't good friends because of their bad characters and now Daniel with his insecurities. I think I'm better of alone. Maybe I don't need friends.

"I'm not hungry!" I yelled from upstairs.

"Fine but someone's here to see you!" She yelled back

I sighed praying that it wasn't Reggie or Sizwe. The last thing I want is more drama. I just want to be alone. I walked slowly down the stairs and heard chattering coming from the kitchen. When I got there I saw Daniel with my mom. I wasn't particularly pleased to see him either. What was he doing here? They stopped talking and stared at me.

"Daniel's here honey." My mom sounded cheery "I was wondering when he was coming over again."

"Can we talk?" Daniel asked before I nodded my head and turned around and he followed. I opened the front door of the house and sat on the stairs on the porch. Daniel sat next to me.

"I'm sorry." He said after a few seconds of silence "You're my friend and I know that. It's just my stupid insecurities..." He sniffed. He was on the verge of crying and I just had to stop him.

"Stop. You look ridiculous." He didn't look offended and I was glad he already understood my humour. "I know how hard it is for you to trust people so you don't have to explain. I was pissed though, so I'm glad you apologised. But don't start crying on me."

"So you forgive me?" He asked wiping his eyes.

"Yah." I nodded "Now enough of this." I stood up from the porch wanting to make the energy to dramatically change. "So what do you want to do?"

I was not planning on doing anything today but since he's here and we're civil now, I just wanted to do something fun.

"Just like that huh?" He sounded surprised, obviously on how easy it was to get me to forgive him. But I'm not the time of person that holds grunges and I am a pretty understanding person. I always choose to see the positive things in life instead of the bad. It's hard being Daniel's friend because of his insecurities but he's a good kid with some likes similar to mine which is why I am his friend.

"Yah just like that. So do you want to ride bikes again? Or maybe we could go to the candy store or we could dance and post it on YouTube. Yah lets so that."

"Wow, slow down." Daniel said "We could swim. There's a pool outback at my house."

"Swimming it is." It was a hot day anyway so the temperature was perfect for swimming.

Daniel

It was easier than I thought to get Alec's apology. I thought he'd be angry with me attacking Reginald and most of all not trusting his friendship, but he seemed to understand. It took a little thinking to realise that there was no way Alec was pretending to be my friend. Not after he gave up all his friends just to be mine and not after helping me fight back against the bullies. 

The truth was, no one could ever befriend a nerdy kid because they'd get bullied too. And no one would risk getting bullied for anything, so Alec being my friend was proof enough that he was a good kid and a true friend.