Chapter two: fighting with fire

The night fury roared as a shadow flickered over the sun. Toothless growled, and Hiccup looked up to see a massive red typhoomerang circling overhead, it stopped to snarl at the black dragon, roaring out a pillar of flame at the night fury. As soon as the fire cleared the fury retaliated, shooting plasma at the stoker dragon's head. It dived, swooping down to grab it's prey. Little too late did Hiccup realize he was still in the saddle with his leg still attached. Toothless leaped into the sky, and dived, knocking the typhoomerang off coarse and spiraling to the side. 

But the typhoomerang was right back in the air, now angrier than ever. It beat it's wings making a powerful force of wind right at Toothless and Hiccup. Toothless flapped his wings furiously to stay in the air. He roared and spat a fireball at the red dragon, hitting it right in the underbelly. It screeched with fury, hissing more fire out at Hiccup and Toothless. Typhoomerang fire was like no other, hollow right down the middle like a tornado. All Hiccup had to do was duck down to avoid getting his hair singed off. Behind him he heard the sound of something catching on fire, followed by a loud splintering crack and a pained roar. Toothless twisted to look behind him, the other night fury had a wing trapped under a fallen branch from a still burning tree. The fury was screeching and twisting, slamming it's tail into the ground and hissing. This gave the typhoomerang a chance. And it took it without hesitation. 

The colossal dragon flipped in the air, slamming Toothless and Hiccup out of the sky and crashing into the ground with it's tail. The typhoomerang trumpeted its success with a loud roar, sending a flock of terrible terrors scattering into the clouds. Toothless blearily lifted his head, his eyes half open. He grumbled, his head dropping down again. "Toothless, uh, now might be a good time to get up..!" Hiccup said frantically, looking at the sky. The typhoomerang was flying up, gaining altitude to dive down on them. Readying the final blow. It was only when the other night fury roared something at him, its face still in a half angry half painful snarl. Toothless looked up and saw the typhoomerang's silhouette. He pulled himself up, and even Hiccup could see the determination in his eyes. He looked straight up and reared up onto his back legs. The typhoomerang had already started to dive down, gaining speed every second it was in the air. 

Toothless opened his mouth, roaring up to it. His mouth lit up and he fired a multi-shot of his plasma blast. Three shots right up to the typhoomerang's face. One missed entirely, another blasted into the very edge tip of the dragons folded wings. But the last on hit it's mark. It struck the massive dragon right in the eyes. The typhoomerang opened its wings, screaming while it was launched back into the air out of the dive. 

It's eyes still closed it wheeled away soon become nothing but a spec in the distance getting smaller and smaller. Toothless dropped back down onto all four limbs and turned to face the new dragon. He purred curiously, tilting his head. "Hey there" Hiccup said gently, slowly getting off the saddle, holding out his hand. The fury snarled and Toothless had just enough time to spread his wing and cover Hiccup as the black dragon shot a plasma blast at Hiccup. Toothless growled a warning to the sleek dragon before looking back to check if Hiccup was ok. "We need to get that branch off her wing..." Hiccup muttered guess I'm getting my hopes up he thought after saying 'her', Toothless purred in agreement and folded his wing back so Hiccup could see. But the night fury was ready. It's mouth was open, but not lighting up with the sure signs of a plasma blast, instead a small dart about the size of Hiccup's finger nail whistled out toward Hiccup, going fast, too fast. Toothless didn't have enough time to spread his wing to shield him and the little ivory dart hit Hiccup right in the neck.