Chapter Seven: Human

Echo was laying on a rock, sunning herself in the early morning light before she would go back to sleep for the day. Toothless way lazily sitting at the edge of the cove, watching some of the fish flit back a forth. Suddenly something snapped in the distance. Echo shot upright, her piercing eyes staring at where the noise had come from. There with a rather guilty looking expression was Toothless's human. The human was taking a step back but it's foot caught on a smooth stone and it tripped, falling on it's back and tumbling down into the sheltered cove. Echo reared up, opening her mouth to shoot a dart at the human. 

"Wait! Echo—" Toothless roared, jumping in the way of her shot. She faltered but the small dart was already shooting out. "Toothless!" She screeched as the dart whizzed in the air. Before he could move it hit him in the neck, his pupils dilated and he fell to the earth, almost instantly unconscious. Echo jumped down from the stone she had been on, growling at the human who had also shouted Toothless's name she stepped outside her boundary, her wings half open as she side stepped over to Toothless's body. Keeping the human in her sight the whole way. She spread her wings out and closed her eyes to concentrate. She had never used her darts on another night fury, but maybe it would work like it did with the other dragons. 

Opening her eyes she let out a sigh of relief. She was in her mind space, nothing but gray all around. Nothing, except the shape of Toothless who was looking around with a rather confused expression. She bounded in front of him and smacked him with one of her wings. "Owww." Toothless complained "That was for scaring me!" She huffed, touching noses with him. "Why did you get in the way!?" She exclaimed, looking him up and down. "Because I still don't know what your darts do and I didn't want you hurting Hiccup!" Toothless replied, in a voice that was a mix of sheepish and offended. "Fish brain!" Echo said, shoving her head under his for a moment. "I wouldn't have hurt him because you were around. You would've stopped me." She said pulling back to look him in the eyes again. 

"I have no idea what my darts do to other furies! You could have gotten seriously hurt or... something!" "Ok ok sorry," Toothless licked the top of Echo's forehead. "Can you wake me up?" He asked "like.. reverse the effects of your dart thing?" Echo blinked. She had done something like that before, but she wasn't sure that it would work one hundred percent with another fury... still... she could try. "I.. I think so.." she said uncertainty, "Give me a second..." she closed her eyes again, pushing even more concentration to the dart. And the next thing she knew her eyes were open and Toothless was blearily getting up in front of her. He smiled at her, pressing his nose on her's. "I knew you could do it." He said warmly, taking a step back. The human, Hiccup, or whatever his name was, was standing back, watching the two night furies with amazement. Toothless looked at him and walked up to the human, he turned and looked at Echo, gesturing with a tilt of his head that he wanted her to come with him. She took a pawstep back but then took a deep breath. This is what Shadow would want her to do... right? Echo sidled a few paces forward, and then a few more, until she was just within reach of Hiccup. The human breathed out the breath it had seemed to be holding and slowly reached out one of his hands. Echo curled her lip at it and he drew it back. 

"Woah..." Hiccup whispered in a shocked sounding voice. Echo lowered her lip and blinked at the human's round, flat face. Her human speak was a little rusty but she could make out most of Toothless's partner's words. "So this is where you go every night bud." Hiccup said, swinging his arms at his sides awkwardly. Echo shot Toothless a look as if to ask if he was going to do anything more. Toothless shrugged and Echo turned, flipping her tail in the sandy ground and making it spray up both Hiccup's, and Toothless's noses. "Hey!" Toothless called after sneezing out the sand, over her shoulder Echo stuck out her tongue teasingly as she started walking innocently away Toothless pounced on top of her making them both tumble on the ground Echo squirmed out from under the larger dragon and jumped forward, grabbing a stick in her mouth she swung it around in mock defense, her eyes sparkling happily like they hadn't in years.

 Toothless lunged and grabbed one end of the stick, tugging it half way out of her mouth. Echo tightened her hold on it and pulled too, soon enveloped in the game of tug. Both furies growled playfully as the game continued until Toothless managed to tug it hard enough to make Echo drop her end. He gurgled triumphantly and booped her nose with the stick. "Show off." Echo chirped affectionately, batting his head with her paw. Purring Toothless dropped the stick and nudged Echo back towards Hiccup. Echo gave him a quizzical look and he sighed. "Just let him look at your wing?" Toothless tried.

 Echo shook her head. "It was a clean break. It'll be fine in another couple weeks." She said, sniffing the edge of her broken wing. "Ok, but if it gets worse.." "I'll let you take me to the humans blah blah." Echo interrupted, rolling her eyes. Toothless seemed pleased with that answer and trotted down back to Hiccup. Echo wandered back to her boundary and leaped to her branch that she dropped her tail over the edge of and hung upside down, closing her wings around herself she started drifting off into sleep.