Chapter five: what should I call you?

Toothless made his was down into the cove, carful not to drop the basket of fish he had nabbed from the doc on his way there. It had taken longer than earlier and the sun was just hovering over the edge of the horizon, the last sunlight until morning. Toothless saw the other fury, she was awake now, and was watching the edge of the water with a hungry expression. While Hiccup had been asleep, Toothless had had a strange dream, he had been on the rocky ledge of a mountain, spread before him had been a beautiful jungle, the trees were lush and the sent of rain still hung in the air. 

Distantly he could hear strange birds calling, mixed with the sound of the wind and the clicking of the bugs it had made it seem magical. Further down the skinny ledge had been a cave, moss crawled out of it and covered most of the ledge. Toothless had made his way over and peeked inside. Inside was the night fury from the cove, another night fury was with her, his wings wrapped around her with her face buried in his shoulder. She was whispering something that Toothless just caught with his sharp fury hearing.

"—if I fall one more time..." she seemed to choke back a sob "I fear it will be the last time"

 Toothless had made a decision then, this dragon had clearly been through something bad. And she was just holding on, but Toothless could help, he felt it in his soul, this dragon needed him, and if he had to admit it, he needed her too, she was probably the only other night fury left. "Then I'll catch you." He had said, opening his wings to her. She'd looked up from the other night fury to Toothless and he had seen recognition flash on her face. 

The other male lifted his wings from her and nudged her softly towards him. Like a mother encouraging their dragonet. The she fury took a hesitant step back, then two more, before turning all the way to look at Toothless. She looked back again, before closing the distance. Toothless half closed his wings around her, she looked back one last time, then lifted her wings to his, closing the space between them. The other male night fury stared into Toothless's eyes. "Take care of her." He'd purred, and the dream had ended. 

After he had woken up part of him had been itching to go back to the other fury. But his main thoughts had told him to at least wait for Hiccup to wake up before sauntering back to find some other random dragon. She lifted her head as he approached and purred a curious greeting. Toothless dropped the basket and nudged so it rolled across her line, remembering her warning growl from the day before. She watched it cautiously, and Toothless knew that she was able to smell the fresh fish, but she made no move to go see what was inside it. 

Toothless leaned carefully over the line, the she fury growling low in her throat the whole time. He nipped the leather strap that was keeping the basket's lid on and it snapped easily, spilling the delicious fish out and into view. Toothless pulled back to the right side of the line as the other night fury looked at the fish and licked her lips. She didn't take her eyes off Toothless as she sidled up to the fish, back arched. She looked from Toothless to the fish, to Toothless again. "Go ahead, I already ate. It's all yours" He purred kindly. "Really?" She asked sniffing the fish carefully and looking back up again, her crystal blue eyes glittering "your not going to hurt me or bring humans with their long-claws?" (Swords) 

Toothless was taken aback by the question "No! Why would I ever do that?" The she fury shifted and half-lifted her broken wing, revealing a long scar that started curving over where her wing met her shoulder and ran down to her back leg. Toothless slowly brought his head to the scar, sniffing it. She didn't flinch, she stayed as still as possible until Toothless drew his head back growling softly. "I promise I will attack anyone who try's to harm you" he said softly.

(Female night fury's pov) she felt oddly toutched by the other night fury's words, she could tell that he wasn't planning on breaking that promise any time soon. She lowered her head and started to pick through the fish, finding and saving her favorites for last. Once she had her fill she back away licking her lips. "Thank you," she said quietly, he gave her a weird gummy smile that looked a bit like something the humans did. 

Then he lowered his head and sniffed her line. He looked up, tilting his head. He looked like he might say something but just wandered off. Weird was all she thought. She walked of to the other edge of her semi circle and closed her eyes, knowing if she wanted her wing to heal it would need rest. But soon she could hear the sounds of shuffling wings and something dragging in the soft sandy earth. After trying to ignore it didn't work she got up and padded over to the other side of her small area. 

She watched curiously as the male night fury spun with a branch, occasionally looking up at her. After one last line was added he looked down onto his new 'art' with a nod and snort of approval. He smiled at her again, she looked down and gasped. What he had made... was her face! Her face in the dirt! "Do.. do you like it?" He asked hesitantly "it- its uh" she ducked her head and offered him a shy smile. She had almost forgotten how to do it for more that approving of a good catch. She found herself lost for words. Which was odd, normally she'd have a formal reply to another dragon. But then again, this wasn't just another dragon was it? He was probably the last night fury (besides her of course).

"...You don't like it" he finally said, turning and started using his tail to swipe the dirt back into place, he face a mix of embarrassment and disappointment. "No! Don't!" She exclaimed her wing flaring open half and taking a step outside her line. He stopped, looking at her confused "I love it." She said warmly, backing back over the line. He froze, his teeth retracted and his mouth wide open like a rather adorable but very confused Venus fly trap. 

"You... do?" He asked cautiously. She purred in response, feeling a little embarrassed. "Thank you... uh" the male gave her a sheepish look "what is your name again?" He asked quietly. Her face fell as she turned and looked away "sorry! I'm sorry! If it was something I said- I didn't mean to do anything wrong- m-my names' Toothless if that-" "no. No, it's not you, it uh," She interrupted, rubbing her wings together. "I guess you could call me... huh I don't really know, everyone I meet just really calls me whatever so... I guess you could do that." "Ok Whatever"

Toothless ducked laughing as she swung her wing at him. "Hm" Toothless thought for a moment "how about... Echo. For your wings, they're like an echo of the stars." He offered. The she fury tilted her head thinking before agreeing "yes, I like that name, you could call me that I supposed." Her birth name had been Eclipse, her best friend had given her the name Blackie, Shadow called her Twilight and her human called her Midnight. But she liked the name Echo, it sounded nice. Like a normal name. And it was given to her by someone who wasn't close. Yet chimed the voice in the back of her head. 

"You said your name is Toothless," Echo said looking at him "that doesn't sound like a very 'dragon' name... is it? Sorry if that's a rude question" she amended before he could talk "it's just..." "No, no, not at all." Toothless fluffed out his wings "it's not a dragon given name, my human gave it to me. Echo tried to hide her astonishment "a human named you?" she asked "were you raised by those things?" "No! It's complicated! I was shot down and lost my tail fin and a human helped me and-"  he tried to explain frantically "I'm not his pet," he said a little defensively after catching her look. "I'm his partner!" "Whatever." Echo said with a shrug "As long as the humans stay away from me."