Chapter four: the dream

Toothless thought fast. Grabbing Hiccup's unconscious body he twisted and dropped him onto the saddled, one shake and shift of his wings and Toothless heard the reassuring click of the human's leg falling into the mechanism. He launched up into the sky before nose diving down to the other fury. He spread his wings at the last second and grabbed her shoulders with his front paws. He pulled her out of the water with strong wing beats. She didn't struggle like he thought she would. She just hung there, seeming to accept that he's do what he wanted now, because with a broken wing, she had no power in the air. Toothless slowly spiraled down to the other side of the cove, he dropped her gently and landed a few steps away. She got up, looking a little bewildered as she shook herself to get the water droplets off her scales. She tilted her head at him, "I uh..." she blinked gently at him "thought you'd bring me to the humans," she ducked her head "thanks" she purred quietly. So she dose have a soft side Toothless thought as he offered her a smile. For a moment it looked like she might smile back, but she turned quickly, ducking her head under her wing whispering something to herself. "HICCUP!" The she-fury snapped around, back to her defensive snarl as Astrid came down into the cove pushing ferns out of her way, she stopped gasping as she saw the other night fury. The sunlight caught on her battle axe and the she-fury didn't even try to growl a warning. She flared open her wings blasting a warning shot just missing Astrid by a claw length. But both Astrid and Toothless were frozen in Aw. The undersides of her wings were... beautiful... they were dark blues and purples with hints of pink and they were scattered with small sliver 'stars'. 

(Female night fury's pov) "y- your wings.." the male night fury stammered as the new human took a step back. "They're.." she closed her wings tight to her sides and turned. "Weird? Unnatural?" She tried, her voice hard and cold. "I was thinking more... beautiful, unique." He said kindly. She froze, her paw half way in the air. Don't think about it. Don't go there. Don't you dare. She thought at herself angrily, and perhaps with just a hint of regret as she tried to shut down the memories that had started to bubble up. She said nothing as she used some fire to mark a line in the ground, turning it into a wide semi circle around a tree and part of the cove. She jumped up and dropped her tail over a branch. "Get your humans out of here." The she-fury told him, growling as he tried to step over her line. Without waiting for him to respond she wrapped her wings around herself and closed her eyes to sleep until sunset.

She opened her eyes and saw herself before her. Nothing else just infinite grey space. This was frankly a usual occurrence, for whatever reason when she started to argue with herself she would dream up herself to argue with more literally. "He's probably the last one." The her in front of her said "you wouldn't be alone any more" she offered. "But I promised! I promised to myself! My heart has already been broken four times and I promised to never love again because my love is a curse. Do you hear me? Everyone I have ever loved is dead" the she-fury took a deep breath and turned from her mind's reflection of her and closed her eyes, silently crying. The ground underneath her seemed to shift and when she opened her eyes again she was in a warm cave. Moss blanketed the floor and warm sunlight came in through the entrance along with the smell of rain and plants. A dark wing was over her back and she looked up into soft dark green eyes. "What's wrong Twi?" Asked the other night fury. She felt tears start to burn her eyes again she turned and buried her head into his shoulder and let him wrap his wings around her. "Your gone Shadow, gone, and I can't keep your promise anymore, I loved after you, but my human is gone now too, and I said never again.." her words were muffled but he still seemed to understand. "Oh Twilight, I'm never gone, and I'm proud of you for staying alive after everything you've been through; your mother, your best friend, me, and your human, but try again Twilight, you deserve more than anyone to be happy, so try." Twilight didn't look at him, she whispered so quietly that someone would barely hear her, unless that someone was another night fury. "I have survived, but each time I rise the more I break when I fall back down, if I fall one more time..." she hid a sob "I fear it will be the last time" "then I'll catch you" a new voice said, Twilight looked up and turned her head to look who had said it. It was the other night fury from the cove. Shadow lifted his wings from her back and looked deep into her eyes, he gave her a reassuring nod of encouragement, nudging her softly towards the other fury. She took a step back, then another, and another. She looked to the new night fury, he spread his wings, welcoming her with gentle warmth. She looked back at Shadow, his dark green eyes were soft and loving as he watched her. He nodded again and Twilight turned to take the last few steps to leave her in front of the other fury. He closed his wings around her, but not all the way, his wings hovered just above hers, waiting to see if she would welcome them. She looked back to Shadow one, last, time, before lifting her wings to the other night fury and letting them connect.

(Hiccup pov) Hiccup opened his eyes, slowly sitting up he saw Toothless laying on his stone platform. His dragon's head lifted as he heard Hiccup pushing himself into an upright position. The night fury bounded to Hiccup, a silly one of his gummy grins' on his face. It took a slow minute for Hiccup to realize that he was in his house. What. Hadn't he been at the cove... his memories came rushing back. "You sure I didn't just dream all that up?" Hiccup asked Toothless, in response Toothless licked Hiccup right on the face. "Gah-! Why do you do this to me?" Hiccup exclaimed standing up and trying (and failing) to wipe it off. The dragon laughed at Hiccup before leaping down the stairs to sit at the door. He looked to Hiccup tilting his head as someone knocked on the door. "Come in?" Hiccup said, half walking half stumbling down the stairs to a plate with a few pieces bread and a cup of water were waiting. The door opened and Astrid came into the house. "Oh good you're awake!" She said happily, "Now you can tell me what in Thor's name happened. We've been assuming that you saw another night fury and feinted." She informed him, grabbing a piece of bread off his plate. "Oh because that makes way more sense." Hiccup said sarcastically, giving her a 'why' face and half heartedly trying to grab the bread back. "Well you were unconscious so we didn't really have much to go off of." She pointed out, "but listen you won't believe what it's reaction was when I was looking for you in the cove..." after a brief explanation of the night fury flashing it's wings out Hiccup finally said, "that's really strange..." he cleared his throat as Astrid took a bite of the stolen bread "not as strange as what happened to me though, because apparently this night fury also has darts." Astrid spat her mouthful of bread out. "Full story. Now." Astrid demanded started to eat the bread again. So Hiccup had to give her a longer and slightly less detailed description on what had happened to him; Toothless's sudden reaction, the fight with the typhoomerang, the night fury's wing trapped under a branch, and how aggressive the fury had been. "We'd better tell the others" Astrid said standing up and headed to the door. "I don't think Fishlegs can take and more waiting." "Wait, how long was I out?" Hiccup asked, knowing Fishlegs was dying of impatience to learn of a new dragon could mean five minutes or longer. Astrid hesitated for a moment before finally saying "Four hours" "What!!!" "Come on Hiccup, we don't need to have you questioning things none of us have answers to, and I'm pretty sure that Fishlegs is going to explode if you don't answer some of his questions first." So Hiccup had to bite his tongue for now, he drank the last of the water and followed Astrid outside, "Toothless!" Hiccup called, waiting for the black dragon to appear so he could make it to the arena with Astrid and Stormfly. But Toothless was nowhere to be found. "Toothless?" Hiccup called again, looking around. But no matter how loud he called his night fury, was missing.