Chapter three: Cornered Tiger

The dart didn't seem to do anything, and Hiccup picked it out of his skin, only the smallest little hint of blood was on the very tip. It was ivory and rather ordinary-looking, that was until Hiccup spotted the almost black purple faintly glittering liquid leaking out of the tip. That's when Hiccup started to feel strange, he was starting to to get dizzy. Hiccup tried to reach out for Toothless, his voice slurred as he said something like; "Toothless.. whazgoin'on bud.." his vision was getting effected too, warped as everything started to get blurry. 

All the shadows and light dancing around, making the dizziness even worse. He stumbled and fell backward. It felt much better laying down. Feeling anchored onto something solid that didn't spin around. Distantly he heard Toothless roar. Wait. Distantly? Wasn't Toothless right beside him? Also. How did the other  night fury shoot a dart? Toothless had never shown any kind of dart related ability. Perhaps... perhaps this was something he could think about later. He was getting tired, like stones weighed down every one of his limbs. 

Maybe he could sleep. Maybe that would make the dark mist inside his brain go away. Yes. Sleep sounded good. And that was the Last thought that flickered through his head before he gave in to the black fog that slowly crept into every corner of his brain and every thought and emotion and every bone, muscle, and limb. Hiccup closed his eyes that were already drooping, and then he was gone. Into a world beyond dreams...

(Toothless pov) "What did you do to him!" Toothless roared at the she-fury that was grounded before him, watching Hiccups limp body on the ground through slitted eyes. She didn't answer and Toothless took a step towards her. Her head snapped towards him and she growled a warning "Your pet will be fine if that's what your asking." She hissed as Toothless took a step back. He decided that it should probably be in his best interests to stay on this new fury's good side considering she had shot hiccup with who knows what simply for getting off his saddle. 

He knew it wasn't quite her fault, well, ok, yes it was, but he couldn't bring himself to blame her. He would probably have done the same thing before he had met Hiccup. She was trapped and like any other wild dragon, she would react like a cornered tiger. She was glaring at Hiccups body and Toothless could see that she was internally debating something. She seemed to sense him staring and looked back at him, he shook his head and snorted. You don't know her Toothless thought at himself best to take this slowly ...but she's another night fury.. I'm not the last one... a small hopeful voice in the back of his head wheedled. 

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry, but I need to get nearer if you want to get that branch off your wing." Toothless said in a softer voice after she curled her lip when he tried to take a step towards her again. "I don't. need. help!" She hissed, her face scrunched as she covered another pained roar as she tugged at her wing. Toothless gave her a dubious look and she glared at him. She twisted and shot a plasma blast, Toothless reached to cover Hiccup with his wing while using the other to cover his own head. 

He peaked over the edge of his wing, the smoke was clearing and there were sharp little splinters all over the ground. But standing before him, her head high and her wings in regal arches half open above her, her hard icy eyes were open, her pupils were sharp slits and her eyes glittered with danger, and fear. Toothless noticed. She launched into the air, intending to fly far and fast by the looks of it. But something went wrong. As she was over the cove her right wing, the one that had been trapped under the branch, crumpled inward at an unnatural angle. 

She screeched and she plummeted into the water, and Toothless watched with horror as she disappeared below the waves. For what seemed like the longest time there was nothing but the ripples on the water's surface. He stared at the cove when suddenly her head broke the surface. She gasped and sputtered, her wings and tail slapping the surface wildly, it took Toothless a long minute to realize that her right wing was still not quite right. It was automatically flinching and pulling back... something was wrong, and Toothless realized two things at once; her right wing was broken from the tree branch, Meaning that she wouldn't be able to fly. And she was panicking, not quite thinking about what was going on, she wouldn't be able to swim to the shore, and with her using up her energy like she was... she was going to drown.