02. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔏𝔲𝔫𝔠𝔥

"Were you ever planning to tell me we aren't having lunch together today?" Madeline popped out of nowhere while I was busy putting books I had borrowed back in their respectful shelves in the department library. I nearly jumped out of my skin with surprise, having been entirely focused on the menial task and the thoughts running through my head. I clasped the books in my hand tighter and sighed. "Really, Maddie. You couldn't announce your presence like a normal person?"

"Where's the fun in that?" She looked at my stack of books distractedly but then snapped out of it and pointed a finger at my face, resuming her less than happy tirade. "No, you traitor. You're having lunch with Dom and I'm the one stood up? How dare you!"

I kneaded my forehead in confusion, thinking back to the last conversation she and I had over the phone. I think it was the middle of the night on a sunday. "Crap... did I promise you we'd have lunch together today?" That was totally something I'd do and instantly forget the minute I fell asleep after the call.

Her long unamused face was answer enough, and I barely held back the apologies waiting to tumble out of my mouth. "Honestly Lily." She was justified in her annoyance with me. I would be too. "It's all the work you've been doing lately. I told you to go easy on yourself. Did you take a look in the mirror lately? I'm worried for you."

"Okay, Dr. Rowanda junior." I scoffed. In some respects, she was exactly like her mom. A health-freak and a worrywart. Also probably why she was incredibly fit while I felt like a zombie dragging my limbs around every day. "I'm really sorry. It totally escaped my mind. I'll raincheck with Dom?"

She waved her hand dismissively, following me around as I put the last book back and turned to leave the library together. "Don't. I think I'll have lunch with Ryan and the guys. But that doesn't mean I forgive you just yet." She turned on me suddenly. "You promised you'd meet Ryan and get to know him. How much longer are you planning to postpone it?"

There comes the reason why I'm not hanging out with my best friend of eleven years now. Madeline Rowanda, the brilliant nutcase of stunning, popular, and academically accomplished girl that was the polar opposite to my gloomy, unapproachable, invisible persona. My best friend who also now has a jock of a boyfriend I've been dreading meeting for the past three weeks. Knowing Madeline's taste in guys, I'll know I'll dislike him. Actually, regardless of her taste, Ryan Cullen was most-definitely a jerk I'm going to hate. Obviously, I can't help but think no one will ever be worthy of my best friend, but things get a bit complicated when taking into account Maddie's track record of dating assholes who mess things up before the relationship even takes off. I have no doubts Madeline knows very well that I won't look too kindly on any guy she dates, yet she's still adamant on always introducing me to them and wanting to get my opinion. I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think any good will come out of the situation.

She's too much of an optimist who believes in the best of people and chooses to give chances until proven otherwise. The same definitely cannot be said for me. As much as I'd like to harness some of that child-like openness my best friend possesses, I've had enough things go wrong than to blindly give chances left and right. I'll have none of that as long as I get a say in it.

"Do I need to meet him though?" I tried my luck. "You're obviously dating. Nothing I think or say will change that fact. Plus, why don't you just be your merry jolly self and see this one through? You seem to be happy as far as I can tell." See, I can do diplomacy.

She gave me those puppy eyes I find hard to refuse. "You're my best friend! I'm pretty sure it's an unspoken law for you to get to know my boyfriend and watch out for me, no? Plus, if you really don't like him, at least I can know and keep it in mind. What you think matters to me."