05. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 ℭ𝔥𝔢𝔢𝔯

I had no idea to know that the mere mention of a low point could instantly transport me somewhere darker, enough to impair my reflex to immediately correct the misunderstanding Dominic had walked away with.

I was probably making things out to be worse than they actually are, but not having heard from him for a full day and my calls going straight to voicemail wasn't a reassuring sign. I had two morning lectures that left me frustrated since I didn't manage to focus on much besides the thoughts in my head. My evening shift at the café was also beginning in a couple of hours, and since I can't sit still and study until then, I wandered aimlessly in the department corridors before I gave up and walked to the basketball field.

The team were having their afternoon training session with the sun overhead and the coach yelling left and right. I found a shaded spot a little away from the benches where the cheer team seemed to be practicing as well. While I was familiar with Dom's friends on the team, I didn't exactly like to be in the cheer's field of vision. That might be why I sat quietly and observed their drills, and maybe it was in order to delay the conversation as much as I can, considering that I haven't given it much thought.

It's not like I'm going to make much sense if I don't go into detail with Dominic about what actually happened, and I simply had no interest or intention to go there. I can't believe she put me in this situation. I brushed through my bangs and watched the guys practice. It was impossible not to notice Dominic with his towering six foot four and dirty blonde hair perfectly messy along with a face that half of SHU fell in love with. He's probably objectively the most handsome guy in town and he knows his own charm fairly well. It's always hard to match a good face with a good attitude -at least in my experience- which makes Dom a breath of fresh air when one gets to know him.

My view was suddenly obstructed, and I lifted my head just to be met with a face I was all too familiar with yet hoped to never see. I sighed and acknowledged her presence. "Alette."

She smiled her cheshire cat smile and cocked her head to the side. "Hi, Layla-

It took great effort not to roll my eyes. "It's Lilianne."

"Yes, whatever." She bruhsed it off and continued. "I see you've been watching the basketball practice."

"And?" I did away with all atempts of being cordial and waited for her to cut to the chase. I had a pretty strong knack as to what she wants. After all, it's not like it is the first time Alette approaches me since I started visiting the field. She can be impossibly persistent when she has something in mind, and unfortunately I entered her radar the moment Dominic and I became friends. Needless to say, it didn't take a genius to figure out her intentions. People like her didn't mix with the likes of little old me. Alette with the promising modelling career ahead of her with her pretty honey blonde hair and honey eyes to match it. She was cheer captain for a reason... Well, maybe she had enough talent for it actually, what do I know to comment on that? I felt like an impostor on every level imaginable.

"Oh nothing." She dismissed my less than friendly attitude and gave a sweet giggle. "I was just wondering if you're waiting up for Dominic."

"I am." I said shortly wishing she'd just leave me alone. She was drawing the cheer team's attention to us, and I could see some of them murmur and giggle within themselves. I looked around her to see the basketball practice coming to an end.

"So, are you two dating?" She asked suspiciously.

See, Alette was one of those people who thought they had a right to every person they'd laid eyes on. For two years now, I've watched her pursue many guys on the team, which, to each their own. That's not my issue. It began to become an issue for me when she decided Dominic was her next target and that nobody, including myself, had a right to rival her for his attention. Alette didn't understand the simple concept of friendship. "I don't see how that's any of your business frankly."