09. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔩

I always thought the ability to put a smile on another person's face was not an act to be disregarded. I like to believe that it makes me equally happy to be able to do that. I'm not the warmest or most openly loving person out there. Perhaps, I am very much the opposite: cold and awkward, I hardly know how to navigate certain relationships. The only way I know how to show affection, weirdly enough, is with food. Baking, cooking, purchasing delectable things for others is my way of expressing my emotions. The fact I applied for a job in this clinic is surprising even to me. Something that requirs such emotional tact and finesse to deal with all sorts of behavioural and psychological problems; it shocks me I could survive this long on this job. I still have a long way to go. 

I should have figured out a way to ask Primrose what happened to land her here, but I couldn't. I had no right to. I have to often keep in mind that she is a patient and I am an employee. I cannot let my personal feelings get the best of me no matter how important little Primrose has become to me in reality.

She wasn't in this clinic for no reason, but it did feel somewhat odd and unfair that she's been staying here full-time for years now. It was even more odd that all of a sudden a brother she never once mentioned popped up and was hell-bent on approaching her and making amends. I forgot my train of depressive thoughts when I saw the big smile adorning her face during and after her little picnic birthday. A moment of her pure happiness was worth a million unanswered questions, regardless if it weren't permanent. It truly is none of my business, but I care for her like my own little sister. When we were first introduced, I saw something of myself in her that both intrigued and disturbed me. We got on well enough at first and slowly gravitated closer since I gave her all the space she needed, all while paying attention to the things she likes so I can help her cultivate those interests and slowly pick up on things that are healthy and beneficial for her mind and soul, rather than have her focus on all the negatives and darkness.

My amateur social skills are hardly influential over people surrounding me, but everyone thinks that I worked wonders with Prim and the kiddos of her age category. I didn't. She just simply took a liking to me, I hoped.

*

'Are you sure you're okay?' Dom asked as we both cleaned up in silence. The kids had a curfew at night and were required to go back to their dorms. The few adults eventually left as well, and eventually it was just Dom and I.

'Yeah.' I looked up at him. 'Why do you ask?'

'You've suddenly gone silent. What's on your mind?' 

I shrugged. 'Not much. Let's finish here so we can leave. I still have a family dinner to catch, remember?'

He finished throwing the rest of the paper plates in the trash bag. 'Seriously, is it about Prim and Adam?'

I put the last of the cake in a container and closed it before looking up at Dom. 'I told you I won't ask. It's none of my business dude.'

'Oh but you are curious.' He added, crossing his arms.

'Well, naturally.' I wiped my hands on some paper towel. 'I might be curious, but it's not my place to ask you nor Prim. I'm glad as long as she is happy okay?'

'I know that.' He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. 'I don't know the details of whatever happened but... maybe you can ask Adam instead?'

I frowned, looking at him questioningly. 'Me? You want me to ask that obnoxious jerk? No thank you. I'd rather not know.'

'Lily.' He coaxed amusedly. 'You know you're probably the closest person to Primrose right now. The guy might need your help in making up with his sister.'