04. 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 𝔇𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔦𝔱 | 𝔄𝔡𝔞𝔪

The cinema parking lot reminds me of scenes from trashy horror movies I used to watch when I was much younger. Thank fuck I grew out of that phase. In the old suburbs of St. Honors, it's the closest place to offer any type of entertainment for those who didn't know any better. As it stands deserted and half-lit as though suspended in spacetime, I can tell even bored middle schoolers chose to hang out somewhere else these days. The drive to the city didn't take long and it certainly had a lot more to offer, so as I stand leaning against the cold exterior of my car and wait, I'm wondering what the hell was Ryan thinking telling us to meet in this archaic place.

I exhaled deeply, breath visible in the cold night. Another five minutes rolled by since another car parked right beside my own, its driver sitting inside drumming fingers against the steering wheel, probably in avoidance of unnecessary awkwardness since neither one of us had any idea the other would be around. I reckoned she'd just drive away when there was no sign of her boyfriend coming, but contrary to my expectations she climbed out of her car and leaned back against it, holding her jacket tighter around herself and staring around in search of something to spark interest.

Madeline Rowanda and I weren't exactly complete strangers... but we might as well be. I hoped she would just pretend not to know me and keep to herself as she'd done for the past couple of years since we'd crossed paths.

She looked at me hesitantly, then cleared her throat. "Um, hey Adam." She shook her head quickly like she'd berated herself mentally and then continued, "I didn't know you'd be here."

I dug my hands in my pockets and nodded in ackowledgement. "Neither did I."

Madeline seemed to be thinking of her next words. "Did Ryan invite you?"

She seems nervous, but there's no need for this line of dumb questioning. Obviously the only way we'd both end up at the same place, same time, is if her boyfriend told us to. I kept my thoughts to myself hating the lack of tolerance I seem to display as of late. "He said he and the guys would be here." I checked my phone again. "Fifteen minutes ago."

She rubbed her hands over her arms to warm up, "He said he'd meet me here around that time too."

Well he should have at least said something about it. I cursed Parker for the tenth time in my mind and pushed my hair back from my eyes. I think it's due for a haircut, it's getting annoyingly long. "You should probably call him and leave. I don't think he'll be arriving anytime soon."

"I- Madeline started but my phone ringing cut her off. I gave her an apologetic look and put it to my ear. It seems the fucker finally remembered to call.

"Yo, man. Where are you?" He had the guts to ask.

I clenched my eyes shut and gritted out, "I'm waiting at The Vine, where you said to meet almost twenty minutes ago." I emphasised. "Where are you?"

"Shit!" I heard him shuffle before he spoke, the background noise gave me an idea where the idiot was. "I forgot to send you a text updating you about the change of plans. Fu-

"Save it." I snapped, although I knew this would be costly in terms of this whole getting along with him thing. I needed to keep myself in check before I ruin shit. "Where are you?"

I saw Madeline perk up, her focus now solely on me and the undistinguishable speech sounding from my phone. I don't think her boyfriend was attentive enough to update his girlfriend either about his whereabouts. I could feel sorry for her if I weren't so pissed off at the moment.

"Right," Ryan sounded distracted, like it took him effort to remember he was on the phone and needed to answer my question. "We're at the club. The guys thought we should celebrate the team win and have some fun."