Chapter Ten: A Sincere Friend To America

AW Farmer, or 'A Westchester Farmer', was Samuel Seabury's pen name.

---

This whole affair had caused a rift in our relationship. I didn't mean it to. Alexander became even more immersed in his work, and I spent more and more time in the workshop.

Alexander tried to talk to me. More than once. He tried hard to understand why I turned my back against my king. Maybe that's what he didn't understand- I don't serve under any king, and I never will. But when that didn't work, he just called me 'unreasonable' and stormed off.

I mean, yes, I was unreasonable, but Alexander was unreasonable too. I know that my sudden proclamation of supporting the patriots was- well- sudden, but Alexander was acting ridiculous- wasn't he the one that was supposed to be an extremist on the patriot side?

On the bright side, Hercules Mulligan had finally wasn't acting strange. After that night, he had explained to me that he had seen me read the letter from 'The Sons Of Liberty'. "I had been afraid of what you would do had you been a loyalist."

He had also briefly explained to me some of the politics of the time. From what I had understood, the American side were called the patriots, and the British side were called... British, but Americans supporting the British were called loyalists. It's pretty simple, but it's the only simple part of it.

Mulligan had also disclosed that he, himself, was a part of the Sons of Liberty, which seems to be the equivalent of the FBI, but I'm probably wrong- he lost me at 'political organization'. Well, at least I got the American part right.

Alexander seemed to be deflated during the next two weeks, and yet I could still see a storm forming in his head. He started acting strange, and he started coming back to our room much later at night.

Another week later he had stopped nagging me about my choice, but I felt his uneasiness. Anyway, that's not something I shouldn't be concerned with at the moment- Hercules had tasked me with going to the market to get some kind of fancy material. "'Tis the easy part, my boy- avoiding the pickpockets is, by far, more of a challenge."

The markets are packed, and completely bustling with people. Children weave around people, blending into the crowd seamlessly. From what I was told, the children are the ones I want to avoid. My wallet is securely stashed in a hidden pocket Hercules made me, so I'm not that worried.

After walking for a bit, I trip over something. Through the feet of the crowd I notice a little bracelet laying there, and I quickly pick it up before it gets lost. It's a dainty little thing, elegantly reflecting the sunlight. It seemed to be made out of silver and adorned with little red gemstones.

It looks expensive, especially for this time period. This obviously belongs to someone with money, but who would drop something like this? Maybe it's important to that person. My first thought was to find them, but how could I? I know nothing. But I couldn't just leave with this.

So I put on the bracelet and waited for something to happen. For someone to come- anything, honestly. Many people passed, unbothered, and I still waited.

I waited a while, but nobody seemed to have lost anything- maybe that's when I realized it was pointless. I thought of leaving the bracelet on an obvious surface, but it would get snatched by someone.

I sigh and take the bracelet with me.

When I finally return, with the needed materials in one hand and the bracelet hidden under my sleeves, it's already dark. I must've waited longer than I thought as the workshop is empty. After putting all the various fabrics on the table, I go up to our shared room.