Chapter Twenty-Eight: Happy Christmas

On December 23rd, [Laurens and Lee] fired nearly at the same time, Lee was slightly grazed on his side by Laurens, but Lee's shot missed completely. Both Edwards and Hamilton claimed the offense was satisfied and the duel was over. - Alexander Hamilton's "first" duel

---

"Please tell me you're kidding, sir," I say as I meet Lafayette outside. "Is this some kind of sick jest?"

"I wish it were." He fixes his wig, looks down the road. The snow had made the scenery look too serene. "Come on, to the horses."

By the time we had grabbed two horses, Lafayette had paused for a second, and I managed to ask him of what was really bothering me. "Why is Laurens involved with all of this? I thought that if anyone would duel Lee, it would be Alexander!"

Lafayette gets on his horse, waiting for me to do the same, before looking to the side. "You weren't the only one that was insulted. Laurens is dueling for Washington's honor." He sighs. "I... knew of his plans, but I never thought that Alexandre would agree! Come on!"

"Washington's honor?" I shout over the wind. "Only sons can duel for their father's honor, those are the rules!"

"Try telling that to Laurens, monsieur!" No other words were exchanged as we continued to ride. Soon, I could see that we were nearing a forest. Knowing that most duels begin when the sun rises, I was quite concerned that the sun has been up for quite a while now. I grip my reigns tighter.

I wasn't that concerned for Laurens' actions- the man, even if he's hot-headed, is a gentleman that knows the rules of dueling. Alexander is too, but there was something in my head that nagged me to get there quickly.

And just when I saw the silhouettes surrounded by white, we were stopped on the road by two men. They blocked the road with their own horses, forbidding passage. 

"A duel is currently commencing, we cannot let you interrupt," A man with a familiar face told us. I sneered at him. 

"Like hell we can! This duel is breaking several of the twenty-six commandments, and I- Let us through!" I shout, and suddenly we hear a two bangs. While the everyone else is distracted, I get off of my horse, running to the site. 

Before I could get to them, I'm caught by one of the men. "Sir, if you could please just-"

"No, you cannot- this isn't-!"

"Sir, the duel is over!" I freeze when he says that. Looking up, I can barely make out Laurens' worried look as he rushed to Lee. Alexander stays behind, a stoic look on his face. "Lee has been shot, and they will not be going for a second round!"

I give the man the dirtiest look I can manage. "Then let me go! I need to have a word with one of the principals!"

"No, sir." I watch a physician rush to General Lee in the snow, and an uneasy feeling makes itself apparent in my stomach. Whispers made themselves apparent in my head, warning me of something, something important. But what?

Whilst still struggling against the man, I tried my best to figure out what's happening. Charles Lee pushes away the physician, and brushes down his clothes. I can see a bit of crimson on his clothes, but he doesn't seem to pay any mind to it.

Something's wrong.

Alex walks to Lee's second, and they say something to each other. Laurens notices me, and he also says something. All heads turn to my side. I'm still far away, but they can surely recognize me- Alexander's eyes show shock, then guilt. I grit my teeth, trying harder. 

The air around me changes. It's more cold- hostile.

"Let. Me. Through!"

Charles Lee points at me, saying something with a crooked grin. Alexander's eyes snap to him, and his jaw twitches painfully. He shouts something out, and Charles Lee just laughs. And that seemed to really tick Alexander off.