Chapter Thirty-Four: Everyone Loves Lafayette

*I've just found out that the word hello wasn't invented yet. I am going to cry when I'll be rewriting this whole thing. Also, Lafayette's letter is heavily based off of his actual letter to George Washington, 12-13th June, 1779.

Angelica Schuyler was a white slave-heiress and slave owner, and was well recorded to have been abusive to the slaves she owned.

---

"Solomon, what's on your mind?" Alexander asks five days later. I sigh, and shrug.

"Worried about Peggy, is all," is all I answer with. Since the night of the first ball, which we decided to not socialize in, Peggy found us and told me that she'll be staying in the house for the week- us two decided to decline a guest room, since there were many other guests, and spent the nights in the inn. As happy as I was for her to be reunited with her family, I noticed the slight hesitation in her voice.

I turned to Alex. "Do you think that they'll let her come back to the army? Also, sit down, I'll do your hair, it's a mess."

"'Let'," He said with a scoff, and sits between my legs. "Definitely not, I assure you, but had she not run away from home? If she wishes to leave again, I'm afraid that she will."

"You're afraid for her?" I ask accusingly, pulling his ribbon out of the copper bird nest. "I feel that she's quite capable of taking care of herself."

He sighs and leans against my thigh. "That was not what I meant. I... no matter her capabilities or character, we're still in a war. Nobody knows what shall happen- she could catch a fatal illness from her last patient, or a quicker death, even."

I don't bother asking what he means by a quicker death, instead refuting his argument. "Well, so could we. I'm much more likely to get killed than her- does that meant I should not be here?"

Alexander is quiet for a moment, and I take that time to start braiding his hair. After a heavy silence, he exhales. "Miss Schuyler has parents, wealth, status, and- well, she has a future outside of here." He turns to look at me. "We have nothing outside of this war. No home, no family, no money."

"You've got me," I say with a smile. "And I'll be here as long as you or God wishes me to be."

His face hardens and he turns sharply, wincing at the pull in his hair. "Do not even speak of such things."

"As you've said, there's no certainty." I smile tightly. "I'm getting old- who knows what shall happen. Maybe I'll get sick, maybe I'll get wounded or shot, maybe I'll..." Wake up in a completely different place with no way to come back. A heavy feeling settles in my stomach, and I only shake my head. "I only hope that death shall take me in my sleep."

"Do not speak of your death so lightly," Alexander hisses. "We shall get through this war, no matter the outcome. You are the only certainty in my life, and I shall not let a cough or a piece of metal take you away from me."

"I'm not planning on dying, Alex," I say, tying his ribbon. He glares at the ground, and his jaw twitches. "You can't control these things."

He looks like he wants to say more, yet he interrupts himself. "Have you written to Lafayette recently?"

"I've actually sent my letter out two weeks ago. So now all I have to do is wait. Why are you asking, anyway?"

"News has travelled of Lafayette escapades in France. Apparently, he's been tiring out the entire court by asking of supplies and support. As he should, of course," He adds, then laughs. "Though I do know that some of the French believe that Lafayette... does not have much sense."