Chapter Twenty-Three: Battle of Monmouth pt. 1

Half of the casualties during Monmouth were from heatstroke.

---

"Sir, this is ridiculous! A regiment of less than a thousand people? This army is going to suffer severely from such utter foolishness!" Alexander shouts, his enraged voice filling the office. Dark eye bags are under his face and his hair is in complete disarray.

"Sit down, son." The general's dark blue eyes look at the map, trained on a valley. He looks more stressed and exhausted than I've even seen him. "I understand your distain for such, but you must know that they do have justified reasons."

Alexander slammed a paper down onto Washington's desk, fury clear in his eyes. The general simply raised an eyebrow, and the scene changed. 

"Permission to- to... ride ahead, sir!" Lafayette shouts over the shouting and frantic men. The general bites his lip, before nodding sharply. His white eyes seemed to be looking for something, or someone. "Yes, but be quick."

The scene changed again. Suddenly, I'm in an office and I turn to a man I recognise entering the room. Alexander, now dressed in quite colorful clothing, eyes the man with cautious curiosity. Washington stands up from the chair and sighs, his blue eyes trained on Alexander, before the scene chances again.

I see a young child with copper hair chasing his brother. They both seem very frail and delicate, a contradiction to how quickly they're running.

And again. I see a woman getting rejected an education simply because of her sex.

And again. General Washington is yelling at Lee in front of the whole army, while the man stutters pathetically.

Again. A black man is being hung as people cheer. The children laugh and point at the corpse in fascination.

Again. Two planes crash into the twin towers. The buildings collapse, much to everyone's-

Again. Lafayette is dressed as a pregnant woman, fixing his hair by the mirror-

Again. Arnold rushing out of West point-

Again. Neil Armstrong landing on the-

Again. Thomas Paine drafting Common Sense-

Again. Jefferson is elected as-

Again-

"Layden!" I startle, grasping my chest tightly. Lafayette was holding onto my shoulders, looking extremely concerned. I struggle to catch my breath, as my heart seems to try and escape from my chest. The sun out of the window had just set.

"Mon Dieu, are you alright?" He cries, checking to see if I had any injuries. "I woke up to hear you screaming!"

"I'm... Fine." My headache tells me otherwise. "I just had a... nightmare."

He lets go of me, sitting back on the side of my bed, a pained look on his face. For a moment I forget where I am, but the memories of the last few days come flooding in again.

Months had past quite quickly, and it's already June. Finally, our scouts had delivered us news of the British evacuating to New York. Washington had quickly taken action, ordering Lee to command the vanguard. The general refused, claiming that someone of his rank should be commanding a much larger group of men than Washington was offering.

So, seconds after, His Excellency offered up the position to Lafayette, who accepted it with inappropriate levels of happiness. I remember him literally vibrating with excitement when coming so see me, Alex and Laurens in the aide quarters. He looked like he won the lottery, indeed confirming to me that the Marquis is traumatized.