Chapter Forty-Two: Battle of the Chesapeake

*This has turned out to be much longer than what I planned- whoops. Also, the Lafayette to Washington letter (August 25th, 1781) is real- I simplified it, and (of course) Col Layden was a replacement for Clel Morris. Also also, please ignore that Elizabeth Curstis couldn't have possibly met Washington before this situation, thank you and I'll see you in 5 weeks

"The Battle of Chesapeake Bay was one of the decisive battles of the world. Before it, the creation of the United States of America was possible; after it, it was certain." -Michael Lewis, The History of the British Navy

---

Mon chéri, Layden,

Interception has been Very Prominent in Virginia. Please do Hand the Report inside to Gen Washington. 

-

My Dear General

Independent of the Answer to Your letter of the 15th, I Have Been particular in a Second letter Instrusted to Col Layden. But at this Moment I Wish to Send you an Account of Every thing I Have Experienced.

The Ennemy Have Evacuated their forts at Ivy, Kemp's Landing and Portsmouth. Some Cannon Have Been left at Portsmouth—But I Have Not Yet Received Proper Intelligence.

Cornwallis Begins fortifying at Yorktown I hear. They are Now Working By a Windmill, and I Understand they will Make a fort and a Battery for the defense of the River. I Have no Doubt that Something will Be done on the land Side. The works at Gloster are Finished- They Consist of Some (XXX)Redoubts Across Gloster Neck (9 and 10).

The Ennemy Have 60 Sails of Vessels in York River and about Seven other Armed Vessels. The Warships Are Very thinly Manned. On Board the other boats there Are Almost No Sailors. It Would Be easy to Overpower Did we have a Navy.

The British Army Had Been Sickly at Portsmouth. The Whole Cavalry Have Crossed on the Gloster Side Yesterday Evening- a Movement of Which I Gave Repeated Accounts to the Militia there. I keep spies upon Ennemy lines. The Moment I Can Get British Plans I will Send them to Your Excellency. 

The Maryland troops were to Have Sat out on Monday last—But God knows if they will keep the Engagement. There An Immense Want of Cloathing of Every Sort, Arms, Ammunition, Hospital Stores, and Horse Accoutrements. 

The Numbers of the British Army I Would Estimate at 4500 Rank and file. There is an Amazing number of Negroes which Cornwallis Freed, But (except at Working) they May Become an obstacle. In a Word this Part Affords the Greatest Number of Regulars and the only Active Army to Attak, which Having Had no Plan of defense, must Be Less Calculated for it than Any Garrison Either at Newyork or in Carolina.

With the Highest Respect and Most Sincere Affection I Have the Honor to Be My General Yr Most obedient Hble Servant

Lafayette

I am Sorry to Inform you that Gal Campdell of the Riflemen lately died of a fever at New Castle

-

I have Been long Complaining to the General that I had Nothing to do. But for the present, mon Cher, My Complaint is quite of an opposite nature- I have so many Arrangements to make, So many difficulties to Combat, so many Ennemies to Deal with that I am Just that much of a general as will Make me an Historian of Misfortunes, and Nail my Name Upon the Ruins of what folks are pleased to Call the army of Virginia.

I Wish I could Write you a Longer note alas I cannot. Cornwallis is on My Tail Again and I Have to Prepare for A Goosse Chase any Time now- he is Much wiser than the other Generals with whom I have Dealt. He does Inspire me with Sincere Fear, and his Name has greatly troubled My sleep.