chapter four - tuesday detention

Im sitting on the curb waiting for Robin to hurry his ass up and get out here so we can start walking to school. I put a yellow razzle in my mouth as Robin walks out and yells for me. I turn around and smile, getting up.

"Are those razzles? Can I have a red one?" He asked holding out his hand as I put two red ones in his hand. He thanked me putting them in his mouth as we started walking.

Im super tired from last night, Robin and I were communicating through morsecode with flashlights and I had to act like I knew what he meant. I don't think he's good at patterns so probably not good at numbers either, but he's fun to talk to. Chewing razzles and talking bout who to avoid and who will do your homework for cheap is most of what we did on our walk. We separated after 2nd period because we had social studies together for 1st period, which was honestly the most boring thing I've ever experienced. The only fun thing about it was making fun of the teacher with Robin when she somehow stepped on her only piece of chalk and had to sprint to the office and get more because she wanted to finish the topic we were on before class ended.

-

Today was shit. Im talking big stinky flaming icky gooey shit and now I have to spend and extra hour and a half at school doing whatever Mr Carter tells me to do. I hope Vance is there just for— you know, like to make fun of him or whatever. I walk to the detention room which is the same room that social studies was in.

I sit down and yawn putting my arms down on the table and laying my head down on them waiting for Mr Carter. The only other person in the classroom is a ginger boy on the other side of room that was craving something into the table. Then I hear someone open the door and walk in sitting next to me, I lift my head up slightly to see who it was and it's Robin.

"Hey Robin" I smile and plop my head back down still looking at him. I notice his bandana is loose so I ask him to turn around and I fix it for him as the one and only Vance walks into the class and sits behind me. He thanks me for fixing it and Vance gives us a dirty look.

"Do you wanna come over tonight? I have Carrie on VHS" I smile at him messing with my pencil but before he can reply I feel a spitball on my back. "Do you mind-?" I look behind me at Vance who's currently rolling up another little ball.

"Carrie is a shit movie." He muttered putting the paper ball into his mouth and spitting it out onto my face.

"Hey. don't fuck with her hijo de puta." Robin spat at Vance and Vance got out of his seat looking like he was about to kick his ass, which I wouldn't mind watching because I know Robin would absolutely destroy him but unfortunately that was when Mr Carter walked in and told everyone to sit. He then went on and on about thinking about our actions which really just went though one ear and out the other so I couldn't really give less of a shit about anything he was saying. The one time I did listen though is when he told us all four of us were going to scrape all the gum off the underside of the bleachers. My jaw dropped, he really expects us to scrape all that shit off when he's spent half the time talking about consequences and all that bullshit. he put down a box of paint scrapers in the middle of the room for us to all take one.

"Take one of these and make your way to the gym. I'll be in my office down the hall if anything happens." He says picking up his teacher shit and walking out. We sit in silence for a moment but I break the silence by getting up, grabbing a scraper and walking out making my way to the gym. First person to follow me was Robin, obviously, then the ginger, and then five minutes after whilst we got started in the gym Vance finally decided to show up.

"Took you long enough." I said and I notice Vance was chewing gum. "You got anymore gum?" I say and he throws some grape bubble gum which I almost don't catch but thank god I do because that would've been embarrassing. I give some to Robin and we both sit together trying to blow bubbles, the only one actually doing what we were told to do is the ginger. I see Vance just standing there and looking really fucking clueless so I pat the empty spot next to me on the bleachers looking at Vance, trying to get him to come sit. He looks confused but eventually he came up and sat next to me. We sit comfortably in silence for a bit and then I break the silence as I do. "Are you sure you aren't jealous that you aren't invited to watch carrie with us?"

"Shut the fuck up." Vance aggressively chewed on his gum like he was some sort of caveman.

"Im going to the bathroom. Don't kill each other when I'm gone." Robin said as he got up and jumped down the bleachers walking into the changing rooms which was where the bathrooms were. I take a sigh and shuffle closer to vance making him raise an eyebrow.

"you aren't as bad as people say you are y'know." I muttered finally unscrewing the paint scraper.

"What did you just say?" Vance looked at me.

"You aren't as evil and mean as people say you are, you kinda just cuss alot and thats really it." I say. "You sure you don't want to come see Carrie?" I ask one last time.

"Why are you inviting Robin and not Bruce? I thought Bruce was you're boyfriend." He remarked and I rolled my eyes.

"Because Robin lives next to me and Bruce isn't my boyfriend but I mean if you want me and Bruce to be together I'll just ask him out. Do you think I'm a pussy or something?" I teased.

"Do it. You wont."
He's challenging me.