chapter fifteen - pirates of the grocery store

The sunshine spills from the edges of the blinds as I open my eyes to see a handsome blonde laying beside me. As my hand subconsciously reaches up to brush his blonde curls out of his face his eyes slowly open, god he has beautiful eyes.

"Morning pretty boy." I say, I feel like I can't control whats coming out of my mouth there's not way I have the balls to call Vance pretty boy right now. He smiles in response but soon after I hear this loud echoing voice thats giving me a headache. I slowly open my eyes to see Vance standing over me with a mug and a plate in his hand, oh god what the fuck. Was I seriously dreaming?

"What was your wet dream about?" He says softly, putting down the mug on the bedside table as my face goes pale and eyes go wide as if I've seen a ghost.

"What?!" I yell quickly sitting up in bed and his hand suddenly clutches over my mouth to stop me from yelling. His hands are soft.

"You need to be quiet, Micheals home. After you eat we need to go over to your place or something." He says with his hand still clutched around my mouth. I frown and stick my tongue out causing him to take his hand away almost dropping the plate but thankfully not because whatever on that plate looks good. "They're chocolate chip pancakes. If you want more I still have some pancake mix." He says wiping the spit off his hand on his pants.

"Okay housewife. Yeah get me a couple more." I say taking the plate into my lap and taking my first bite, pure heaven. Why can't Vance be my full time private chef? He nods and walks off coming back a couple minutes later with two more pancakes, after I've completely devoured the first stack I make room on my plate for the rest. "Thanks." I say giving him a slight smile before immediately going to fuck up the rest of the pancakes.

-

I press on the doorbell waiting for my dad to open the door, Vance is waiting nervously behind me tapping his foot on the wood of the front porch. My dad opens the door but before he can say anything I drag Vance in by the hand and make my way upstairs. My dad attempts to get my attention by clearing his throat but fails.

"Hey! Young lady get back here." My dad yells causing me to stop halfway up the stairs.

"What do you want? I'm busy." I yell back frustrated.

"I need you to go to the grocery store and pick up some stuff. You can take your friend too." He says and I roll my eyes, I look over at Vance to see if he's fine with it and he shrugs. I drag him back down the stairs by his hand and walk to the lounge room to grab the shopping list and cash. "Don't take too long." He said and I stick out my tongue opening the front door and walking back out with Vance.

"I'm sorry. My dad sucks ass, you're gonna have to carry shopping bags." I say and Vance looks at me funny. "What? Never carried bags before?" I say confused.

"No I have I just- It doesn't matter never mind let's go to the grocery store." He says. I hate when people say it doesn't matter, clearly something matters. Did I say something wrong? I nod and we begin to walk.

I balance on the curb and he walks on the footpath holding my hand so I don't fall.

-

I walk into the grocery store with Vance following behind me and I'm met with a sight I preferably didn't want to see. Bruce is the only person working the checkouts, I didn't know he worked here? He makes eye contact with me and I don't think I want to look away, curse you god for making him so beautiful. Before I can even act on my impulses Vance's arms slings around my waist and walked me hurriedly into one of the isles.

Im obviously caught by surprised at this, who the fuck does he think he is? I look up at Vance utterly confused, why did he do that?

"I thought we were going shopping get the list or whatever out." He huffs, something is clearly wrong so am I too dumb to figure it out?

"Oh right yeah- I didn't know Bruce worked here I thought he did baseball or something" I say fumbling around in my pocket to eventually get the list out, unfolding it so I could read it.

"Baseball is a sport not a job dumbshit" Vance said, okay now what the fuck was that for?

"Yeah okay whatever.." I say beginning to read out the items on the list.

-

The list is long and annoying but after me and Vance run around the isles with the cart as if we were pirates sailing the seven seas we get to the check out, where Bruce is tapping his fingers to the rhythm of some stupid song on the cash register.

"Hi bruce," I mutter starting to empty out the items from the cart and onto the conveyor belt, he looks at me waiting.

"Hey" He smiles warmly at me but his mood seems to drop as he sees Vance towering behind me. "Hey Vance." He adds, beginning to scan the items.

As I finished loading all the stuff onto the conveyor belt I looked back up at Vance who was still in a mood. I frown and look back at Bruce who's just about finishing bagging all of my items. I honestly can't decide if it's nice being around Bruce again or if it's uncomfortable, it's probably just uncomfortable because Vance is here.. maybe..

I pay for the groceries and look up at Bruce once more who gives me a small smile and says "Have a nice day." which I reply with smiling back to him and telling him "you too." and Vance didn't let out a peep during this whole interaction until he put his arm around my waist again and hurried me out of the store after grabbing the bags. Bruce didn't even have time to ask if we wanted a receipt.

"Okay what the fuck was that about? why are you so pissy?" I say once we are out of the store, loud enough that it made a middle aged woman hurry into the store uncomfortably.

"What are you on about? Im not pissy." He says in a huff.

"You're kidding right? Just tell me whats wrong" I say trying to reason with him, well trying my best.

"I don't like the way you looked at Bruce, acting like what happened at the drive in never happened and shit. Its so bullshit." He said angrily, and my eyes widened.

"Okay okay you know whats bullshit? your attitude. I wasn't even looking at Bruce a certain way I look at everyone like that!" I yell, upset obviously. A woman walks by with her baby and gives us the stink eye so I begin to walk back to the house, Vance hurriedly walking after me.