Art class

"Alright, class! Pay attention! We have a new student joining us! From France! he does not speak English well, So please be patient," The teacher announced. I looked up from where I was sitting and saw a boy walk in. He had long hair and was about my height. I began to look out the window, feeling uninterested. I swear, this school must always get exchange students. "Go ahead and introduce yourself," The teacher spoke. "My name is Francis...I am sixteen, and I look forward to meeting everyone," He said. His English was a little bad, but I would say he would be fine. I looked back at him, and our eyes met. He smiled at me, and I lifted an eyebrow, confused. "let's see... It looks like Arthur still needs a partner, so you can sit with him for this assignment," The teacher told. My eyes widened, and I began to sink into my chair.

"Arthur! will you please raise your hand?" she asked.

I looked away, raising my hand slightly. Great, I was stuck with the new kid. I heard footsteps approaching me, and I did not look toward them. "Hi, You must be Arthur; I look forward to being your partner," He spoke. I looked at him slowly and saw how he had the brightest smile. He pulled a seat before me, and I finally sat straight. "Likewise..." I answered.

He continued to smile at me, and I observed him. He seemed like an overly friendly person. Maybe I am judging him too hard? "Alright, everyone! Using the canvass in front of you, you will draw your partner. It does not have to be amazing; just make sure you use your basic art knowledge."

I began to scoot my chair closer to him and faced the back of my easel against the back of his. "Sorry, I wanted to get closer for a better view," I explained. He peeked at me from behind his canvas and smiled. "So, how's the weather? I know British people like to talk about that," He laughed. I rolled my eyes at what he said and started to prep my things. "I guess eating cheese all the time turns your brain into mush. Are you an idiot?"

"Jokes on you; I only eat a lot of cheese on the weekend."

"That does not help your case, you dimwitted, baguette-loving idiot."

"Ay yo? What is with the french slander? You know I can say a lot worse about the British."

"Then say it."

"pfft, as if you would get it, your head is clouded as the weather over there. Too busy thinking about tea time and crumpets?"He laughed. I rolled my eyes at what he said and grabbed a sketch pencil to start. "Please do not make me look hideous," He looked at me. "Yeah, frog eater, I am not Picasso," I spoke.

Was it wrong that I wanted to make him completely ridiculous? I smirked to myself and began to draw something amusing. I began to draw him with a big fat head. His hair was going to be messy, and I drew stink marks from him. I tried not to laugh at the drawing so far. I would look over at him occasionally to give the illusion that I was being serious.

I looked back at the painting and began to draw his body. I began to draw him in the position a frog would sit in, and I did my best not to laugh. I looked at him one last time with a smile on my face, and this time, he looked at me as I did him. My eyes widened when our eyes met, and I immediately looked away from him. I felt my face red, and I began drawing his face. I made sure to make his eyes super big, and his tongue was sticking out, leading to a fly. The drawing took about twenty minutes to finish.

"I am done when you are ready."

"Oh, finally, you were taking so long."

"Oh whatever, I did not take that long."

I looked at Francis, who continued to smirk looking at me. I handed him the canvas, and then he gave me mine. I closed my eyes nervously and prepared myself for anything. "Hey!" I heard him say. I opened my eyes to see how he drew me, and I wanted to laugh. I was surprisingly not angry that he drew me this way. My eyebrows were as tall as the side of my body. I had sharp teeth and messy hair. There were devil horns and a tail attached to me, and I was holding a cup of tea. To top it all off, a bubble said, "jolly good show."

I started laughing at the terrible drawing and looked over at him. He was pouting and looking at the painting. "I said to draw me good," He said, annoyed. "As if," I laughed. I started to look up at the time and saw that the class was about to end. I handed his painting back to him and took mine back. "You are an idiot if you thought I actually would," I spoke.

I began to gather my things, and I looked at him. "It looks so much like you," I smiled. The bell started to ring, and we stared at each other. "Arthur... I think I like you a lot," he spoke. "Huh?!" I said, shocked. I looked at him, confused, and he continued to smile at me. "You are so dumb," I spoke. I rolled my eyes and watched as he stood up. I was right, and he was about my height.

"I'll see you around," he smiled at me. What was up with this guy? I guess he probably didn't get the hint that I might not want to be friends with him. I respect that he kept the same energy by drawing me terribly—what a compelling character. I laughed as I left the classroom, and I could feel his eyes staring back at me as I walked away from him.