The Hunter's Prey

Everything around me was so quiet, yet so loud. The crisp air filled my lungs as nature began to speak to me. No words from a human were told, but the words of the animals from afar yelled at me. The dew that slowly fell from the leaves beside me smelled new. The morning leaving behind its scent calmed me, yet it felt damp. I held onto my bow and slowly watched how a tiny fawn appeared. I breathed out quietly and slowly grabbed an arrow from my quiver. I set up my position and kept my eyes on the animal in front of me.

I slowly moved my hood away from my face and observed the baby. "I am eating good tonight," I whispered to myself. I slowly held my arm back and pointed carefully. I slowly started to release when suddenly.

"HEY! GET BACK HERE!" I heard a voice shout. It caused me to jump in my place, and I completely missed it. "UGH!" I yelled. I watched as the baby deer ran away, and I grew angry. "Great," I spoke. I glared at the area where my arrow flew and continued to hear lots of commotion.

I snapped my head toward the noise and began walking toward it. I grabbed the bow and began to sneak near a bush. I moved some leaves away and watched how some knights looked around the creek. Why on earth were they out here? Someone better be dying for them to be making so much noise.

I suddenly heard footsteps coming toward me, and I turned to see. It was a girl, and she was looking behind her. She was getting closer and closer, and I watched in shock.

"AHHHH!"

"Mon Dieu!" She yelled

She ran into me, and we both fell to the ground.

I looked at her as she lay on top of me. "Move it, will you!" She spoke, shocked. Our eyes met, and she pushed me toward the ground to help herself get up. "Me? Move it? You ran into me!! How about you watch where you are going!" I yelled. "HE WENT THAT WAY!" one of the men shouted. Her eyes widened hearing them, and she pulled me to my feet by grabbing onto my hood.

"Look at me; you have to come with me,"

"What? I do not have to do anything,"

She had a heavy french accent when she spoke. She had blonde hair and blue eyes and was a tad taller than me. "HEY! STOP RIGHT THERE!" A man yelled. We both turned our heads and saw four of the knights pointing at us. "Listen to me! You have no choice!" she spoke. She grabbed my shoulders and started to shake me. "Come on! move it, robbin hood!" She spoke. She held my hand and began pulling me, and I started running with her. What on earth was going on right now?

We ran away from the knights quickly, and I watched as her hair bounced every time her foot hit the ground. It looked gorgeous, and if we were not in a weird situation, this would have been nice. I looked back and saw that the knights were falling behind and unable to keep up. It must be that heavy armor they had on.

We continued to run for a good ten minutes, and I was starting to run out of breath. "Hey, can we stop running now?" I asked. I started to pull my hand away, but she held onto me tightly. "Just a little more," she spoke. She continued to pull me, and it was like we were headed to a small cave on the side of a rock wall. "We can rest here," She spoke. We both began to breathe heavily, and she peeked out from the corner.

"Why were you running from them?"

I looked at her, confused, and she looked like she was about to sweat her skin off. She did not look me in the eyes, and she began to scratch the back of her head. "Ah, well, you see, I will get in a lot of trouble...umm,"

"I am sorry, madame, but you did not need to drag me into this."

"Madame?"

"Yes...is that too formal? What is your name?" I asked. she looked at me nervously and started to laugh. "Ahh... What is your name?" She asked me instead. I lifted an eyebrow at her and rolled my eyes. "Arthur, and you?" I asked.

"Look, kid, no need to ask so many questions," She spoke.

"What? Just tell me your name?" I looked at her, annoyed, and she looked off into space. "It is uhh, Francissssssss ine! It is Francine! Yes! Francine!" She shouted. I lifted an eyebrow at her, confused, and nodded. "That is not so bad; now, will you tell me why they were after you?" I asked. "What a nosy little kid," She laughed.

"Hey! we are practically the same age; I mean, are you in that much trouble that you can not answer?" I asked, confused. "Uhh, not necessarily, but I need to get away from them, so is there anywhere you know of for us to hide?" She asked. "We? You are on your own!" I began to walk away from her, but she stopped me. "Please! Do you want money? I have plenty of it! Look!" she spoke. Francine began to go through her skirt pockets, and she pulled something out and held it up.

My eyes widened, looking at how much money she had. I looked at her, confused, and thought she might have robbed someone. I looked at her, and she kept whispering please, under her breath. "UGH! Fine, we can go to my place; we are close anyway," I spoke. I rolled my eyes at her, and she cheered. "Thank you so much, Arthur! Your kindness will be paid in full," she smiled and tried to hand me the money, but I refused. "Just consider this a favor you will owe me later," I spoke.

I gestured for her to follow me, and we started to walk side by side. "How old are you exactly?" She asked. I looked at her and saw how interested she looked in me. Her face was sweet and looked soft and clean. I continued to look at her and noticed the clothes she was in looked fancy like she could have been wealthy. "I am fifteen," I spoke. "Me too," she smiled. Her smile was sweet and warm. I could tell she had a beautiful soul.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Hmm? oh! nothing..." I spoke. I felt my face get hot as she looked at me. I had never felt this way before.