Speed dating

"Honestly, Arthur! It is not that bad!"
"I know it isn't! But still!"
"Just come with me!"
"No!"
"Please!!!"
"No!"

I looked at him pretending to be sad. "Francis, you know I'm just not cut out for this stuff," he spoke. We were sitting across from each other at the table. He wants to start dating, but he is kind of... bad at it. I suggested online dating that did not go well. So I suggested that the two of us go on speed dating. I hear good things about it, so I would not mind trying it. "Come on! It won't be that bad," I smiled.

"Maybe not for you! You are pretty and perfect...and me?... I'm...a mess," he spoke sadly. I looked at him sadly and took a deep breath. "Fine, let's practice then?" I suggested. He looked up at me, confused, and started laughing. "Francis? What are you doing?" He asked, watching me. I began to take out my lighter, and I lit the candle that was beside us. He needed to learn to talk to people, and this was the only way he would. I stood up from my seat and walked over toward the light, dimming them. "Is this not more romantic?" I asked.

He asked me for help, and I was going to make sure that he got a date tomorrow night. "Now, this is a role-play; we are going to introduce ourselves first, compliment me, and then ask me a question," I smiled and pulled him up to his feet.

Arthur and I had only become close recently. We had known each other for a long time, but due to tragic circumstances, we surprisingly became closer. It was a long and sad story, but he lost his friends in a car accident. I knew them very well, and it took them passing away for us to realize that they held us together. I decided to step up, and because of it, we helped each other grieve.

"My name is Francis Bonnefoy, and you are?" I smiled, sticking my hand out. He forced a smile, and it terrified me. "My name is Arthur Kirkland,"

"YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CHARM THEM, NOT SCARE THEM!"

"I AM DOING MY BEST!"

"It's okay! How about you start it this time?"

He took a breath out and nodded. "Hello, My name is Arthur Kirkland."

"Oh, what a lovely name, My name is Francis Bonnefoy!" I smiled at him, and he looked at me awkwardly. "Would you like to sit?" He asked. "I would love to!" I smiled. We sat in front of each other, and I stared at him. I placed my chin on the palm of my hand and stared at him. He looked down toward the table cloth, and I noticed his cheeks grow pink.

"Look up at me, Arthur; you have very nice eyes," I whispered. I reached over to him, placed a finger underneath his chin, and lifted his face slowly. I smiled sweetly, but he still tried to avoid my eyes. "Remember what I said next?" I asked. "Right!" He spoke. He moved his head away from my hand and cleared his throat into his fist. I pulled my hand away from him and continued to look at him.

"Ummm, you have very nice..." He started to look at me. He continued to hum, thinking as he tried to find something about me to compliment. "Really?" I asked, annoyed. "You have very nice eyes?"

"You sure about that?"

"No! You do! They are so blue and beautiful...I like how long your eyelashes are too. Also...they are dreamy and kind. I do not think I have ever realized that the color of your eyes brings out the rest of you. The way you dress, the way you part your hair, and the way your smile spreads across your face. Not only did your eyes shine like a beautiful morning sky, but you also had the night's stars hidden within them..."

I felt speechless listening to him. Once he started, it was like he could not stop. "Your hair looks very soft and smooth; I am jealous of how it looks," He spoke. My eyes widened at him, and he looked back at me silently. "Oh, Ummm... What kind of hobbies do you like?" He sputtered. He began to scratch the back of his head nervously. I watched him as he shuffled around in his seat. He was trying to distract himself from my gaze. "I like to read and cook; how about you?"

"Oh, uh, I also like to read."

The scene had become awkward, and I soon felt my face grow hot. "You did great so far; maybe give a longer answer. Ask for specific details! Make sure to seem interested." I smiled at him. "Thank you, Francis," He whispered. "Well, I will be back tomorrow to help you find something to wear," I smiled. "You are going to kill it," I cheered. The tension in the room was high. I had never heard him say anything nice to me, let alone that romantic.

I could hear voices in my head screaming at me for some reason. They told me to say something nice back to him, and I was unsure if I should. " You know, There is a kind of green that speaks to the soul of nature, of fresh wands of grass and new buds, and I think that your eyes were that bright color, bold and beautiful," I responded. His eyes widened, and I felt my stomach flying away from me. Did I make it worse?

Arthur walked me out once we finished. I felt my heart beating fast as we said our goodbyes. He closed the door, and I immediately held onto my chest. My heart kept beating fast, and I did not know how to make it stop. "Snap out of it, Francis!" I spoke to myself, slapping my cheeks.

~

The next night, I watched my excellent work succeed. Arthur succeeded, naturally, and with a push, he managed to capture some poor soul's heart. I watched him from afar and kept drinking my drink aggressively as I watched every single man and woman approach him. He had stuck with one person in particular, and I watched as they laughed and talked with each other. "Hey, what's your name?" someone approached me.

"No one."

I walked away from the person and continued to watch Arthur and this... guy. He was not even that good-looking; he could have picked someone good-looking. The guy suddenly placed his hand on top of Arthurs, and I felt my blood boil. Does he think he is so cool? Ugh, what a creep; he could at least show class.

My eyes widened as the guy placed a kiss on Arthur's cheek.

I stopped drinking my drink, and I held my chest again.

"Why does that piss me off so much?" I whispered to myself.