No Respect

"We better get back, before someone comes looking for us." You said in an uneasy tone.

Kuroo waved you off.
"We're fine."

"I don't know how your fiancé would feel if she found you in another woman's bedroom." You grew impatient, tapping your foot on the hardwood floors.

"She has a point Kuroo." Kenma said, finally placing down your wooden turtle.

Kuroo nodded to his friend, which kind of ticked you off.
So he listened to him but not you? Now you really knew where you stood.

The walk back into the party was quiet. No words were exchanged between the three of you and you wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible. Seeing them was not a good feeling and you just wanted this night to be over.

"Tetsurou!"Aiya exclaimed, running towards the man you once called a friend.
"I missed you! Did you find Kenny?"

"Kenma." He corrected.

"I know his name silly." She laughed, lightly punching Kuroo on the arm, although you weren't quite sure if she knew that it was harder then she made it look.
Kuroo tried not to hold his arm in the pain.

"Sorry babe. How about another drink?"

"Sounds delectable!" She smiled, completely ignoring you and Kenma.

"I feel like she used that word in all the wrong ways."

"She really did." Kenma added.

You looked to the shorter friend,offering a smile.
"You grew out your hair."

"And you have some weird vintage things in your room."

You smiled. "That I do..but they're not weird, they're treasures."

Kenma shrugged. "Sure,you can call it that."

You forced the smile away, trying not to fall back into your old patterns, but Kenma always had that kind of hold on you. no matter how you were feeling,he would always make you feel better.

"I better get back to my parents. Still lots of people to say hello to." You said, clearing your throat.

Kenma stayed silent, so in the end you didn't wait for an answer and left his side.
But you stoped dead in your tracks when you felt a hand on your wrist.

"Just talk to him Y/n." Kenma's soft voice whispered.

You raised an eyebrow.
"I did talk to him."

He shook his head.
"No like really talk to him. What happened back in middle school-"

"I don't really want to hear it Ken. I knew where I stood back then and I know now as well. Talking with him would just be pointless."

Kenma let go of your wrist, looking away from your eyes.
"There's more to the story than you know."

"That's nice, but I don't really care nor have the respect."

Kenma nodded, looking straight at his best friend. He was smiling with Aiya and his father. Having a conversation that either you or Kenma could hear.
Kenma made a disgusted face.

"You don't like her do you?" You finally said, looking to where's his hazel brown eyes reside.

"She's not right for him."

You pursed your lips.
"You sound pretty confident in that statement."

"He's my best friend."

That's what all needed to be said.
You could even say that back in middle school, Kuroo never went for girls like Aiya.
She was stuck up an seemed very clingy.
But what did you know? People change all the time and now that you're all older, maybe this type of woman is who he wants. Besides he is getting married to her in just three days from now.

"Are you going to attend the wedding?" Kenma asked, pulling out his phone to check the time.
You snuck and peek and noticed that it was already past 11 o'clock.

"Would it be wrong of me to say that I was but didn't want to?"

Kenma smirked.
"Not in the slightest. I don't want to either, but I kinda have to."

You hummed. "We're in the same boat I guess."

"I guess so...anyways, your mother is starring, you should get back to the party. If Kuroo asks, I left."

You didn't have a change to nod or even say anything.
Kenma was fast turning on his heels and walking towards your front door.

"Was that Kenma Kozume?" Your mother's voice rang through your ears.
Her breath reeked of champagne.
"Where is he going?"

"He has to work in the morning. Needed to get home to sleep."

Your mother nodded.
"Well running your own business is hard work. He would know all about that with being a CEO of his own."

You felt a pit your stomach.

He was a CEO?
He never mentioned it and how did your mother know?

"Anyways, parties almost over hun, did you say Hi to the investors? They all have been asking for you."

You signed silently so your mother wouldn't hear.
Turning to meet her face to face, you forced a smile.
"I shall go do that now."

Your mother furrowed her eye brows.
"What did he say to you?"

You matched your mother's expression.
"Nothing why?"

She shook her head.
"Just was curious is all dear." She then gave you a small push on the shoulder to get you walking, to which you obeyed.

You kept replaying your mother's words in your head. Wondering why she looked so distressed.
Was there something she thought Kenma would tell you?

****

The party was finally over.
You stood by the front door with your parents, saying your goodbyes to everyone who passed, shaking hands with familiar faces from the company.
The last to leave was Kuroo and Aiya.

"Good night Tetsurou." Your father said, shaking his hand firmly.

Kuroo smiled, saying his goodbyes with you father then turned to your mother and saying his goodbye with a small kiss on the cheek for formality.

"It was so nice meeting you again Y/n."
Aiya's voice scratched.

You nodded your head.
"You too, and congratulations again."
The words were like poison in your mouth.

"You both get home safe now." Your mother cooed, still smelling like champagne and vanilla.

Kuroo looked you, opening his mouth to say something but stopped, decided it was best to just give you a small nod.
You appreciated that.

Closing the door behind them you kicked off your heels.

"Get some sleep Y/n, you have a big day tomorrow.' Your father said, loosening his tie.

You raised an eyebrow.
"With?"

He smiled. "You're coming to the office with me tomorrow."