Backstory

You and Kuroo walked back to the office to find your father and his in the office.
They both looked at the both of you and raised an eyebrow.
"Getting some coffee?"

"Sorry father, we were just catching up" Kuroo said, straightening his posture.

"There's papers that need to be looked at from the meeting, they're at your desk.

It didn't take long for Kuroo to leave your side, his father following close behind.

You felt the tension in the room, feeling a bit uneasy you took a seat in the same chair Kuroo was in not too long ago.

"Lots of studying going on I see?"

"He just wanted to get coffee, we haven't seen each other in a while ya know.."

"I get that hun..but this can look really bad."

You knew what he meant by that.
"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"No you weren't. He's getting married in two days and doesn't need to be seen with another woman."

"It wasn't like that dad-"

"But to others it does." His voice was now stern.

You adverted your eyes from him. Nodded you apologized.
You both exchanged some small talk before heading home for the day.
Still feeling the tension in the room.

You didn't know why you felt so bad, so dirty? But you made a promise to yourself that moment.
That you would stay away from Kuroo, and not let your friendship rekindle.

****

Later that night you were watching videos on your phone when a familiar contact popped up.
It was Lacey.
She was requesting a video chat.

You answered rather quickly than you'd like to admit.

"Hey girly girl!" Lacey's cheerful voice chimed through.

"Hey Lace."

"How are you?Sorry I haven't called. Unlike you I don't get a week off from school." She winked.

You shook your head. "I get it. You're busy with your life. And a new man?" You smirked, trying to match her energy but it hurt you to do so.

"Oh yes! His name is Eric and he's so nice Y/n, you'd love him if you met him."

If?

"Maybe I'll plan a trip to come see you guys and your new apartment."

Lacey's face went red. She knew that you knew about everything and started to hate herself for posting her life online.Of course you would find out.
"Look girl, I'm really sorry you know. With moving and the jet lag and just everything,time has just flown by. But there's no excuse here. I really am sorry."

You could feel her sincerity. Deciding to forgive you you made conversation about Eric.
Lacey went on and on about him and gave you all the details about how they met and how random it was.
You both were laughing and sharing about things, it felt nice. To laugh with Lacey. To act like how you used to when she was here in Japan.

'"So I know you didn't want to talk about it the last time we talked, but...the invite..that wedding?" She pressed.

"Ahh yeah.." You felt your cheeks heat up.

"Why the red face Y/n huh?" She winked. "Did you talk to him?"

"I did..and got in trouble for it."

Lacey furrowed her eyebrows.
"Why?" She seemed pissed off.

"Because he's getting married and me hanging around him would look bad."

Lacey clicked her tongue. "So? I see men with female friends all the time!"

"But is there a huge nation wide company involved?"

She shook her head. "No but-"

"That's my life Lacey. I just have to get used to it."

"I'm calling bullshit on that Y/n."

You picked at your fingers. "I do agree with my father though. Just being around him is bringing up old feelings."

Lacey was silent, waiting for you to continue but when you didn't she pressed on.
"What exactly happened between the two of you?"

You took in a deep breath wondering if you really wanted to talk about it. but you and Lacey have been friends for years now. And not once have you told her this story.

You prepared yourself.

"Tetsurou and I grew up together. Our parents knew each other from their childhood and so we were raised together. Always around each other. We went to the same middle school, when we met Kenma..The three of us were inseparable. Always playing volleyball or video games. And when Tetsurou's mother died, we became even closer. He needed someone to talk to and I listened. I was there when he needed me and he was the same for me."
You paused.
"It was at the end of middle school. graduation day actually and we were having fun at the school grounds, tossing a volleyball around. That's when I finally got the courage to give him my confession. I wasn't confident enough to tell him face to face so I handed him a letter. explaining my feelings in detail mind you."
"I waited for his answer but when he just stayed silent and stared at the paper I knew then that I messed up."

"Y/n...-"

A single tear ran down your cheek.
"He didn't say anything as he crumpled up the paper and threw it on the ground. He turned to Kenma and told him to follow him. They both then walked away from me. Leaving me there alone. And I never talked to either of them since."

You felt the lump in your throat as you told your story.
You haven't said it out loud ever. Not even to your therapist.
It hurt the words that rolled off your tongue.

"I'm sorry Y/n..."

"He never even told me why he walked away from me. Never once tried to defend himself. He just continued on like it never happened. Like I never existed."

"Did your parents say anything?"

You raised an eyebrow at the mention of your parents.
"What does my parents have to do with any of this?"

Lacey looked uncomfortable.
"Well cause you said that your and his parents knew each other. And something about the company. I was just asking."

You shook your head. "They asked what had happened cause we weren't talking but I didn't tell them what happened..And they never brought him up."

Lacey nodded. "You're strong you know that?"

"Thank you."

"I freaking mean that! You're strong and kick ass."

You smiled, wiping away your tears.
"I miss you Lacey."

She smiled too.
"I miss you too girlie."