Stranger

"So you're telling me that your father basically told you to stay away from me?"
Kuroo asked, fiddling with papers that he was delivering to your father's office.

Once again you were dragged back to your father's office. But not for studying, instead it's to meet potential clients and perhaps to be a part of the company. Just in your own way.
And by that he meant that once you graduate from law school, you will be the sole lawyer for the family business.

It didn't surprise you, after all, what Kuroo said yesterday about declining? Your father never asked because he knew what to use you for.
You benefit from doing your dream job.
And he benefits keeping the company in the family.
In his mind it's win win situation, but it still made you ill thinking about it.
You wished that wasn't the case and he was just being nice to get clients so you won't have to worry about finding a job in your field, but how could you think positively when all signs pointed to something negative.

"I mean I get what he's getting at..you're literally getting married tomorrow."

Kuroo rolled his eyes.
"Besides the point."

You tapped the pen you were holding on your father's desk.
"Ya know, why are you talking to me again? For seven years you avoided me..forgot about me and now you want to get to know me? Talk to me again?"

Kuroo put up his index finger to get you to stop talking.
"Look, there was a reason-why the sudden anger Y/n?"

"Tell me then. Tell me the reason..you know what...actually I don't want to hear it. Need to hear it. I have to get going before my father finds me here again with you."
You stood up and walked for the glass door, stopping wanting to look back but you knew if you did, everything you worked so hard to suppress will come back and open the flood gates. That is something you're not ready for. Even though it's been seven years.

You walked down the busy halls of your father's office building, nodding to those who greeted you.
You kept walking until you were standing outside on the busy streets of Tokyo.
You weren't going to any meetings today.
You didn't care at this time, you just wanted to clear your head.

Maybe I overreacted...

You walked absent minded until you collided into someone's firm chest.

"I am so sorry!" You exclaimed, backing away so you had a good distance with you and the stranger.

"Hey hey hey, it's okay. Are you okay?"

You offered the man a smile.
"I'm fine."

He looked over your shoulder, looking at the tall building you had just come out of.
"Do you work here? Do you know Kuroo?"

"Which one?" You raised an eyebrow.

"Um..the one with.." The man played with his hair, shaking it in pace till it was messy.
"Now picture it as if it was standing up by itself." He smiled.

You let out a chuckle.

"Are you laughing at me or because my impression of him was so spot on?"

You smiled. Shaking your head and pointing behind you.
"Tetsurou is in there, should be up on the sixth floor."

"Great thank you! He told me where the office was but I just got back and kinda forgot where..um..hey I'm Bokuto, Koutarou." He held out his hand.

You gladly took it, shaking hands. "L/n Y/n."

"L/n..that name sounds familiar..."

You once more pointed to the office building.
"That's because it's on there..my father and Tetsurou's owns the business."

Bokuto's mouth was wide open.
"That explains that."

"Here follow me..I wa-was just walking in myself, I'll take you to him."

Bokuto smile widely, appreciated of your generosity.

"Say..that MSBY coat..it's nice..do you play for them?"

Bokuto stood straighter in his step.
Another smile across his face.
"Yes, yes I do! Do you watch?"

You shook your head.
"Sorry no, but my father has been to a few games and has a signed poster from one of the members."

"Oh really? Which one? Do you know??"

You furrowed your brows, trying to remember the framed poster in his study at home.
"I don't remember the name but it has a guy with short blond hair? Brown eyes?"

"Atsumu.." Bokuto whispered, not loud enough to hear. He seemed a little pissed that it was that guy and not himself.

****

"Oh good you're here. Sorry your meeting was canceled Y/n. Busy times right now." Your fathers smiled as he motioned you to take a seat in front of his desk.

"Oh yeah..that's fine I completely understand.." You played dumb, acting like you knew exactly what your father was talking about.

"And who might this be?" Your father gestured to Bokuto who was right behind you.

"Oh I ran into him, a friend of Tetsurou's."

"Oh you just missed him! He should be on the fifth floor in his father's office."

Bokuto smiled and thanked him, also thanking you and telling that it was nice meeting you.
You just offered a smile in return.

"He seems nice." Your father winked.

"He plays for that team you have a poster of."

"I noticed by his jacket. Successful young man there."

You hummed.
"Sure..Um..Ya know since my meeting was canceled..would it be okay if I went home?"

"Oh yeah sure honey. But first I have a present for you."

You furrowed your brows.
"Oh?"

Your father smiled, pulling something out of his desk.
In his hands was an old copy of a book that you used to read when you were younger. It used to be your favourite.

"Now I know this isn't an antique but it is the first addition and since you are quite the collector now..I thought you might enjoy it...it's also a sorry for yesterday. I was being rude with you and I would like to apologize."

You shrugged. "You don't have to apologize dad..I get it really."

He hummed, holding the book out to you.

"Thanks dad..."