Coffee

"So I have a couple meetings to get through so I won't be seeing you for maybe a couple of hours, but you can study here, use my computer anything okay?" Your father said as he ruffled through a few different papers. Packing up a suit case.

"I still don't understand why I have to be here to study? I can do this all perfectly fine in the comfort of my own room."

"It's too get you out of the house. You're not staying home all week.Anyways, love you and we'll get lunch together after my meetings."

You nodded.
Offering a small smile.
"Have fun."

"Oh I won't. And if you need anything just dial Trevor."

Trevor is your father's assistant.

"Sounds good."

And with that you're father left the office, closing the glass door behind him.

You sighed as you pulled out your textbooks.
Swirling your pen in your fingers you couldn't decide where to start.
An essay was due the first day back to classes so maybe you'd start there.
Classes did resume in four days.
Also meaning that Lacey hasn't called since the start of golden week.

You checked your phone, looking at the zero notifications.

You found yourself hovering over Lacey's contact, wondering if you should call her.
But you also didn't want to seem clingy. She was probably busy after all.

After fighting with your inner self, you pressed her name, putting the phone up to your ear you listened to the dial tone, then the ring. Over and over again it played.
It played till a voicemail box came on, but you hung up before the beep where you leave a message.
She could have been sleeping since there was a time zone difference.
You tried to stay hopeful.

A knock on the door was what brought you back into reality.
But to your surprise it was Kuroo who was smirking through the glass door.

He wore a similar dress shirt last night, except there was so tie or suit jacket.
He looked well put together but his hair was still a mess.

He opened the door with a coffee in hand.
"Well now this is a surprise sir, you look awfully a lot like your daughter."

You rolled your eyes.
"Is there something I can help you with Kuroo?"

He held is heart playfully. "Ouch back to last name basis? That hurts L/nnn" He held the last part of your name for dramatic effect.

"I asked you a question." You stayed firm, trying not to fall for his natural joking charm.

He cleared hi throat.
"I was actually looking for your dad. But I'm assuming he already left for the meetings?"

"You seem to be correct."

"What are you doing here anyways?" He said, taking a seat in the leather chair in front of you.

"My father said I needed to get out of the house." You held up your text book. "Clearly studying at home isn't ideal."

Kuroo smiled. "That's a thick book. Clearly you have been busy these past years haven't you?"

"I could say the same for you. Why are you here?"

Kuroo took a sip of his coffee. Shrugging.
"I work here. For my father."

You raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

He nodded. "To keep the business in the family. Well since you denied your father."

"I didn't deny anything. I told my father about law school and he never brought up the company. He never mentioned passing it along to me."

"I heard something way different."

You moved uncomfortably in your father's chair, feeling the wheels beneath you move.
"Are you prepared for the wedding?" You said wanting to change the subject but hating that you picked this one. You were thinking. Clearly.

Kuroo was now the one shifting in his seat.
"The coffee here isn't the best. but across the street has the best. What do you say? Forget about studying for a while?"

You shook your head.
"My father asked me to stay in the office-"

He held up a finger.
"No he said you needed to get out of the house. This is getting out no?"

You pondered for a moment, but they sheer thought of being alone with Kuroo in a coffee shop made you sick to your stomach.
"I'm going to pass-"

Kuroo jumped up from his seat, clearly not taking no for an answer. He held out his hand waiting for you to take it.
But you never did.
Instead you stood up on your own and grabbed your bag.
Signing you walked past Kuroo and out the door. Him following close behind.

****

"So what made you want to be lawyer Y/n? You never told me you wanted to be one."

"You didn't ask." You said, picking at the dango Kuroo had bought for you.

Kuroo bit the bottom of his lip.
"I know I was a dick in high school."

"Are you just coming to that conclusion now?"

He shook his head, swirling his index finger around the rim of his coffee cup.

Silence fell upon the two of you.
All you could hear was small conversations in the coffee shop. The smell of blueberry and fresh coffee grounds filled your nose.

"I'm sorry Y/n." He finally said.

You eyed the man in front of you.
"Still haven't discovered this thing called a brush have you?"

Kuroo laughed.
"I guess not. Aiya has tried, but nothing can tame this mess."

"Maybe if you stop sleeping with pillows held up to your head, maybe you'd find that your hair wouldn't so messy."

He smirked.
"You remember that?"

You shrugged, feeling a slight blush warm up your cheeks.
"How could I forget? You looked like an idiot while you were sleeping."

You both then shared a laugh. Remember back when the three of you would sleepover at each other's houses. Always being glued to the hip. Or that's what your mother would say.

"You look beautiful by the way." He said. Making you stop laughing.

"You shouldn't be throwing out compliments to woman you hardly know, Aiya might not be the happiest."

"I do know you though."

"No, you don't. Not at all Tetsurou."

He leaned back into his chair.
"Tell me then? Tell me what I missed?"

You shook your head.
"I don't mean to be rude, but you don't deserve that. You walked away from me remember?"

How could he forget?
"I guess I deserve that."