Part 21

I could hear her inside me, swimming around. Another tear escaped my eyes as I held my stomach in the darkness of my room. I could feel her power radiating within me. She was the one, the one to save the world. I knew I had to tell Cye immediately. I pulled on my robe over my sheer silk nightgown and left my room. I walked quietly through the halls making sure not to be seen. As I approached Cye's bedroom, I heard voices. I stopped to listen.

"You have disgraced me." a woman's voice said with disgust.

"I cannot help the way I feel. This will happen. You cannot control me any longer" Cye rebutted.

"You will pay with your life in front of the council for going against them. I cannot and will not save you this time." The woman voice said.

"I don't need your help any longer. Leave and take her with you. You are lucky I found this out before Lumi did. Tomorrow when the council comes, I am sure they will see things my way." Cye said.

I ran back to my room locking the door. What was he talking about? Who was he talking to? Did Cye betray me? My heartbeat was too fast I felt as though I could faint. I sat at my bar looking into the mirror at my reflection. I slammed my fists on the bar, where are my people. Did Cye know? I could feel the baby kicking hard in my stomach as I began to get feel the burning rage within. She had it too. She was stronger than I could imagine.

"Lumi... Lumi... hear me ... see me.."

"Magla?"

"Yes, it's me. Lumi do not talk just listen. You are in danger, do not wear your ring tomorrow night. If you wear your ring it will make you unable to fight. I will be at your side. You must protect Cye. I thought he..."

"Magla? Magla?"

I could no longer hear her. But I could hear footsteps outside my door. Someone was standing there listening to me. They didn't have a heartbeat, and it wasn't Cye. I slowly walked back to the door and made sure it was locked standing there for a moment listening to the person on the other side of the door. I locked the top lock and heard them dash away. I stood there a few minutes longer then sat in front of the window the rest of the evening. Sleep betrayed me. My thoughts invaded my mind taking me to places I wish I never went. The darkness of my thoughts and the what ifs were painful.

I watched as the sun rose across the city. It illuminated my skin making it look like diamonds sparking in the sun. Pink shinny diamonds. My hair icy white, my eyes a beautiful purple. The back of my neck showed tiny dark purple snake scales dancing down my back. I was a work of art. A very powerful work of art. I could feel the baby's power inside me. She was magnificent. I held my hand over my belly and felt her swim around and kick. She was happy. She was all mine. Together we were stronger.

"Lumi?" Cye knocked at my door.

My eyes darted in his direction smelling dirt again, and stale water. Where had he been? I went to the closet motioning to Raven to be quiet. I answered my bedroom door to find Cye looking stressed. He looked older somehow even though he couldn't age. His hair was a mess. His shirt was dirty. He had blood on his face, but it wasn't his.

"Cye, what is it? Where have you been?" I was worried. Who or what did this to him?

"I need to talk to you Lumi. I need you to hear me. I.."

"Stop." I said looking at him.

"No, we must talk now before this evening. It's important."

Raven walked out of the closet and started towards Cye and me. I started to panic; I had told him to stay in the closet. Before I could protest, he was standing in front of Cye.

"What is the meaning of this?" Cye said to Raven as he looked back and forth at us.

Raven opened his hand and blew a red powder into Cye's face speaking the words," Hi-hlv-na (go to sleep) donadagohvi (til we meet again)."

Cye fell to the floor in front of us motionless.

"Raven what have you done?"

"He will sleep and be ready for tonight. You and the baby must rest."

"How did you know about the baby, Raven?"

"You forget I see all Lumi. Gvgeyui (I love you)" Raven walked me over to my bed and placed a fingertip to my forehead.

"I love you too." And I fell into a deep sleep as Raven stood watch over me.

I woke at 6 to an empty room. Cye and Raven were both gone. Raven left a note for me.

Lumi,

I will see you soon. I will make sure you are protected always. Cye will be back at 7 to walk you to the party. You are a strong warrior. The Goddess of Fire and Inada, our people will be ruled by you and your children. Your baby will save the world with her light. Her path is clear for all to see. Do not fear what is before you, remember it's not always as it seems.

Raven

I sat the letter down and prepared myself for the evening. A feeling of pride and emptiness flooded my body at the same time.

 A feeling of pride and emptiness flooded my body at the same time