Kabanata 49

Disconnect

They went in my direction and hugged me while we cried. I've lost count of how much we spent our time crying in each other's shoulders. It's been so long since we last met each other. Marami na ang nangyari sa buhay nila nang wala ako at nang wala na akong nalalaman pa.

"We thought we would lose you when we heard the news about your family, era..." Corynn said and sniffed.

"You've been missing for years but Zone informed us that you're in Germany!" Byron said, "How did you even get there after what you've been through? You're so brave, era." byron then cried and hugged me tightly. "We missed you so much!"

"I...I thought...you two are still angry with me..." I looked down.

"Goodness, sierra lianne! You thought of us so lowly!" Byron squinted his eyes at me.

"We can't be mad at you in a long time...we were so worried about you, era." Corynn said and I pouted.

They both look expensive and elegant. They are still the same but their physical features matured through the years. Corynn wore a white long sleeve top paired with her brown trousers with gold accessories and her khaki hijab. Meanwhile, Byron's outfit is very masculine as always. He wore a plain brown short sleeve polo paired with his dark maong pants and a Dior watch.

"You two are together?" Byron asked when we sat in front of my family's tomb.

We immediately looked at each other when he asked.

"Uhm..." I gulped. How do I say we have kids?

"We are already parents of two beautiful kids," I widened my eyes at him and he did it back.

The two gasped because of shock and byron slightly hit me on my shoulders.

"You two are... finally together?"

I blinked several times before I shook my head.

"Byron, ano ba! Lower down your voice!" Sinaway ni Corynn si Byron nang humiyaw ito sa balitang narinig.

"It's a long story but...I'll let you meet them soon. Their names are Rex and Ria, fraternal twins and they are 7 years old,"

Byron gasped again.

"So nabuo talaga nung birthday ni Ariane," Hinampas naman siya ni Corynn at naalala ko na naman ang gabing iyon, "Sorry, I just can't help but overreact," He then cleared his voice and I chuckled.

"So why were you two here? This was unexpected," they looked at each other before they faced me.

I furrowed my brows.

"Don't tell me...kayo?"

They both widened their eyes and shook their heads aggressively.

"I'm straight, era!" Corynn said but byron squinted his eyes at her.

"Weh? Di ka sure," byron rolled his eyes at her, "I'm still not straight, era but it's so disgusting that you think corynn and I are a thing. I'm engaged," Byron then lifted his right hand and showed me his ring, "I was engaged in France, by the way,"

"Congrats! Oh my gosh. Naunahan mo pa kami..."

"Mas nauna si Corynn–"

"So era, we were here to visit your family because we think... it's the only way we can reconnect to you..." Corynn said, avoiding what byron said. I want to ask if she's married but I think she doesn't wanna talk about it. 

We talked for an hour before they bid their goodbyes. Malapit lang ang unit nila sa unit ni zone kaya makakabisita rin sila sa amin anytime.

This is one of the best feelings that I've experienced. Feelings that arise when something unexpected happens; just like today that I unexpectedly met my long time best friends. We were in a cold war before we lost track of each other but then...the disconnection that we experienced created a connection within us once again.