13. Underdogs Bite Back

Moon: JX-9 of the Theban System

"Spike!" Damian called to the other android when he noticed him slinking along the edge of the hall in the shadows, as if trying to avoid detection. But alas, it was impossible for any android to slip by another one when they could see through walls. So of course he noticed him. "Spike, hold up!"

Spike cringed, so not looking forward to this reunion, and briefly debated about ignoring him... But it was inevitable that he would run into him eventually since they technically shared the same room. Same bed, actually. "Look, before you come unglued," he huffed as he turned to face Damian, self-consciously stuffing his hands in the pockets of his black furry vest, gesturing as he spoke. "I get it. I fucked up the last mission, but to be fair, there was a goddess that showed up -"

"That's your excuse?" Damian demanded; his brow furrowed with fury. "At this stage in the game, we can't afford excuses or any fuck ups!"

Spike scowled and looked away, feeling his ears burn with guilt and embarrassment. "I -"

"I don't need to hear anymore! I have enough statements from Hebe and the others that were on Thebes," he crossed his arms. "Spike, it goes without say that The Good Doctor will be disappointed when they hear about this latest failure to kill a demigod," Spike flinched at the mention of his beloved Good Doctor...he owed everything to The Good Doctor, all the androids did. "Like I said, we have to be more successful than ever now that things are aligning the way they are!"

Spike glared over his shoulder at all the androids very obviously staring at them with wide eyes of amazement. They always loved public displays of humiliation, and the fact that it was Spike that was getting roasted? Oh they were practically drooling! He had a reputation for being an escape artist when it came to avoiding punishment, perhaps it was because he was The Good Doctor's unspoken favorite and everyone else was seething with jealousy all the time. Spike felt his temper peak; he'd remind these hyenas whose bones they were biting! "Well let's not forget I'm the best fuckin' assassin you even have in this rebellion! Before now, I've never missed a target! I've killed over fifty demigods! That's more than even you, Commander," he added sharply with sarcasm.

Damian widened his eyes at such audacity. "Excuse me?" Everyone else was staring with slack jaws.

Spike briefly felt a twinge of guilt but refused to take it back. "It's truth, damn it!" He insisted somewhat defensively. "I-I think I deserve a little bit of slack!"

"You've had enough slack!" Damian snapped, his fiery sapphire eyes flashing with aggravation. "In fact, as a point to everyone that these latest failures will be taken extremely seriously, you are to be punished for not completing your assignment on Thebes!" Spike gasped with outrage and shock. "And the same will be said for the rest of you if don't complete your missions! The punishment is one week without battery recharge!" Everyone gasped. "Now back to work!" Damian ordered; his glare sent everyone scurrying back to their posts before he turned his dark eyes back to Spike. "One week for you too, that's your punishment, assassin. Now that's all," he crossed his arms and looked away.

"Are you insane?!" Spike felt his jaw drop. "That's fucked up! How am I supposed to work when I'm on E?!"

"I said that's all! Now go!" He barked.

Spike felt his mechanical heart sputtered with disbelief. He glowered viciously at Damian before he stormed off, his fury boiling over into rage. It wasn't his fault the goddess swept down and saved that demi! He didn't think he fucked up as badly as Damian made it sound. He did shoot the bike out from beneath the demi on Thebes, that guy would have died! It's not like Spike flubbed up something and the dude got away! No! There was literally a higher force that intervened! How could he be punished for that?! He hit the wall lined in panels of tarnished steel as he continued storming along to his room, his thoughts steaming with fury.