16. Tempting Darkness

Planet: The Underworld

Persephon was trembling violently in his sleep, nervously clawing at the blankets, sweat rolling off his body as he whimpered. He was too weak to even open his eyes, he felt like he was in such a shallow sleep, yet it must have been deep because he couldn't wake himself up...He panted as he was rolled over by a male's warm, slick hands, whimpering as he hid his face in his pillow, only then he realized his pillow had been replaced by someone else's lap. He wearily tilted his head back, but the creature's fingers laced through his hair and gently lowered his head back down between its legs, he twitched and struggled to roll over but the heavy weight of another creature on his back kept him anchored.

He breathlessly shrieked as he felt the creature digging into him, its knees violently knocking at his ribs as it pulsed against his back. He gave a hoarse scream in his sleep before a creature stuffed something in his mouth, it wasn't a tongue that time.

Persephon sat bolt upright, his hair a wild mess, dreary morning light was streaming in through the bay-window above his bed. He moaned with pain and rolled over to his side, gathering the blankets up to cover his bare body, his entire specimen was aching. Something isn't adding up, something isn't making sense, he thought with growing panic spreading through his exhausted body. I mean something is happening to me while I'm trying to sleep. He thought as he stared at the bruises and fingernail scratches covering his limbs, but how the fuck?

"Isn't this view just sensational? Hades asked as he stopped on a ridge, waiting for Persephon to catch up.

"Yeah...but you know what I'd rather be seeing? The inside of my fuckin' eyelids c'uz I want to go to sleep," he grumbled as he finally caught up to the god.

"Since when do you turn in so early?" he asked as he resumed the trek up.

Since I have no strength, no energy and no stamina, he thought grimly. "So," Persephon forced himself to keep moving. They were on yet another voyage through the Underworld, this time climbing the winding path of forget-me-not flowers that led up the otherwise barren and hazardous mountain slope. "I was just like, randomly thinking here but uh...you mentioned incubi? And alps and succupi whatever, but like, what all do they exactly do?" He tried to look innocent when the God of the Dead glanced at him over his shoulder. "Hmmm?" He batted his long eyelashes hopefully.

"They're all supernatural predators with similar skillsets but each have unique...preferences as to how they go about obtaining what they seek."

"Okay, I think I understand but just to be clear...run that by me again only in entirely simpler words."

Hades rolled his eyes. "I mean, alps feast upon dreams, they gain strength from the energy your mind produces while you sleep. They are shy creatures, harmless enough in general I suppose, at leastwise they aren't after life-force or mortal strength so more or less no one ever knows they're visited by an alp in their sleep."

"What about the incubi?" Persephon demanded. "And the succupi?" He added swiftly, hastily looking away when Hades gave him another look. He pretended not to notice and bit the back of his finger nervously.

"Those demons are twisted freaks, more dangerous and perverted, and are after something far more valuable than just dreams. They prey upon a creature's soul and whisk strength and spirit away from their victim by drinking their blood or...or while having sex with them, I guess," he cleared his throat.

"Wait, wait, hold up! Spirit? Soul? Are you trying to tell me that they're killing their poor motherfucking victim?!" He came to an abrupt halt, heart hammering with fear in his chest. Was this what was happening to him?

"Persephon," Hades cautiously took a step closer. The demigod was trembling and nervously chewed more intently on the back of his knuckle. "Look, what's going on? If something's up, tell me." He searched his wide eyes as if for clues.