Enmeshed 11 - Insecurity

TW:// Explicit gore

You awoke to the feeling of breeze hitting your face. It was your breath reflected back at you. Slowly, you open your eyes, noticing the frontside of a veiny, pale neck. Half inch away from your face. It was covered in all sorts of overlapping scars. The skin looked sensitive yet rugged due to the amount of thick scarring all over it.

You track the biggest, boldest scar with your eyes, which led from the base of his neck to the edge of his jaw. As you lift your face to study the rest of his face, your gazes meet. HE'S AWAKE.

'G-good morning...' An awkward greeting escaped your mouth as your startled eyes met his. '...morning.' He answered softly with his eyelids resting calm on the edges of his pupils. 

'...how long have you been awake?'

'A while...'

Hank's probably been awake for quite some time now. Must been late by now. Slowly, you raise your upper body but feel Hank's arm around your shoulder. 'Can we stay like this for a while?' He asked. Your movements freeze and pink blush forms on your face. You give him a nod and tuck your chin in to hide your tinted face.

Hank took a deep breath and lowered himself down on the bed to your eye level. 'Thank you... for yesterday...'

'I-t's nothing...' You reassure with a smile.
Hank's arm sinks from your shoulder and onto your back, his fingers forming a half circle near you spine.
'Can we do this again sometime...?'

... Aah, the thing with the back. 'If you insist.' You say with a lowered gaze, your eyes smiley.

You laid like this for a while.

Soon you found yourself tracking the scarring on Hank's neck again which led you to another one, between his left cheek leading to his ear. The skin there looked as if it was simultaneously burned and torn. Something a grenade would leave...

You lift your palm and gently track the scar with the side of your thumb. 'It was me, wasn't it?' Unlike you, Hank doesn't have the luxury of disposable imprint bodies he can replace.

Hank noticed your troubled expression and placed his palm on top of yours, giving it a gentle squeeze. 'Don't worry about it.'

Couldn't help but feel an off form of guilt. For leaving him with a permanent mark... even in self defense back on the roof.

You squeezed Hank's palm tightly and slowly, leaned over his face. Your profile hovering above the scarring on his cheek. Hank froze in place and rose his upper eyelids. Seemed like his breathing stopped as well. Gently, you tilted your face over his cheek and planted a kiss on the scarring.

Upon the contact, Hank stiffened up and freed his hand from yours.

The reaction causes you to recoil backwards. WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST PULL OFF Y/N?! '...shit. Sorry, that was wro-' 

Hank raised his palm and cut you off. 'No no... It's... it's fine. I'm just...' Hank looked troubled. 

There was a moment of awkward silence. Both of you looking down opposite directions. You were stressing internally. It did feel like you were both developing something for each other It's confusing. Did you rush it? It wasn't even a real kiss! More like a charm a mother would give their child... You look at Hank who held his temple in his palm. Somewhat stressed and puzzled by his reaction, you give up on reading his demeanor and think it's best to head out.

'...Let's grab something to eat.'

You walked out first and found the duo in the makeshift kitchen. Deimos was sitting at the breakfast table, staring intensely at a peace of bread in front of him.