Chapter One

Nyah

Twenty Years Later

There was something about empty places that always unnerved me. The feeling of being secluded, away from other things, that made me feel alone. I never felt at home in our mansion; there was always just too much space.

For a family of three, there was no reason for us to have such a big house and with dad in the hospital, it felt even emptier. We had servants, maids and butlers and guards all over the house but they were like statues almost, stopping whatever they were doing when I walked in a room, to bow to me as if I were a princess. And I guess, in a sense, people believe I am. And maybe I should be grateful that I have a home, and all of these people to do things for me but it just never felt right.

I was glad dad would be coming home today, glad that the house won't be so empty anymore, because without dad yelling into his phone or at people, it was so quiet, I could hear myself breathe.

Mom shut down ever since his car crash, she just never left her room or did anything, as if he really died. I've always wondered how a person could love another that much. How could anybody love anyone to the point where they tear themselves down for that person?

My father wasn't a good man, everyone that knew him knew that. Being in the mafia, this didn't come as much of a surprise but he wasn't good to anyone, not to me, his one and only child, and not to my mother, his one and only wife.

I heard his voice the moment he entered, already ordering people around. My mom doted after him and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

He cheats on you, why are you like this? I thought as I walked down the stairs into the main hall to see him in a wheelchair.

"Hi, dad," I greeted, walking towards him.

He looked at me in that disgusted way he did, as if I was a pest he couldn't wait to get rid of. "Meet me in my office, I need to talk to you." he said, then ordered a maid to lead him to his study, my mom frowned in response.

"I told you to not show yourself until I had a day with him, you are so fucking selfish," she hissed, grabbing my arm, her nails digging into my skin.

You're a delusional piece of shit. I glared at her, tugging my arm away.

I followed my father into his office, taking a deep breath before I walked in.

He was seated in his chair, the maid disappearing into the next room and he looked at me then at the seat in front of him, a silent order, beckoning me to sit down and behave.

I sat down and he held up a hand before I had a chance to open my mouth to say anything.

"I am going to tell you something and I don't want you to speak. All you are to do is agree with me, do you understand?" he demanded in that authoritative voice of his that people feared.

I nodded and clench my hands into fists on my lap.

"Before Bricrui Volkov died, bastard that he is, he and I made a deal," he began and my heart ached for that beloved man.

Bricrui Volkov is the complete and absolute opposite of my father. How I wanted to tell him off for disrespecting a man that was so much better than him.

"The deal we signed is that you are to marry his eldest son whenever I ask." He continued and my heart came to a full stop.

"What?" I gasped and his glare could kill an entire room of soldiers. I clamped my mouth shut and looked down at my hands.

He cleared his throat again. "I am going to invite him and his siblings to dinner next week, and you better not disappoint me." He sighed. "Now get out,"

I stood up and scurried to the door, my shock scrambling his words in my head.

Dinner. Next week. Ivan and his siblings.

His siblings. Eliana's face popped up in my head and I hurried to my bedroom to give her a call. The sound of her voice on the other end has never given me this much relief.

"Hey, Nyah," she greeted.

"Hey, Lia, can you talk?" I asked.

There was rustling then a yawn. "Of course I can, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Dad came home," I told her.

"Shit," she muttered. "Wanna come over?" she asked.

I smiled at her invitation, Eliana knew me more than I knew myself. We've been attached since birth, her mother and mine were equally devious and the only thing we had in common with our mothers was the fact that we were best friends with each other.

I don't remember a single important moment in my life where Eliana wasn't there. She was there when I walked for the very first time, I had pictures to prove it, she was there when I rode my first bike, she was there through every single up and down in my life and now that I think about it, so has her family.

I feel like every good memory I have happened at their house.

"I don't think I can, but there's something I need to tell you." I whispered.

"What?" she whispered back.

"My dad is marrying me off," I said, my voice breaking. She gasped and it was quiet for a few moments.

"To who? Please tell me you're joking. Is he ugly? Wait, is he short? Have you met him? Oh my god, do you want me to marry you?" she asked and I nearly laughed, because if I agreed, she literally would marry me, just to escape my father's cruelty.

"No, you don't need to marry me, Eliana, and yes, I've met him countless of times."

"If that's the fricking case, then that means I've met him too, well, tell me who he is!"

"He's Ivan."

She was quiet. Then, "Ivan? What do you mean Ivan? My brother, Ivan? My self centered, jerk of a brother, Ivan?" she asked, her tone showing her disbelief.

"Yes, him," I said.

"No way."

"Yes way,"

We were both quiet for a while, both of us letting the information settle.

"You're going to be my sister in law," was her comment and I sighed.

"As much as that entices me, Eliana, don't you understand? I'm getting married. Like, say yes to the dress, wedding vows, walk down the aisle, married."

"Yes," she said, her voice reaching a happier tone. "Like you've always dreamed."

"No! That's different, I dreamed of marrying the love of my life, not Ivan! He's as much a stranger as my mailman is,"

"Okay, but at least Ivan is richer than your mailman, and I bet you your mailman doesn't have a bombass sister like me that will be your sister in law."

I sighed, trying not to smile at her dig. "That's not my point, I just thought ... I always thought my wedding would be all mine, you know? I always thought I would be the one to choose."

"Nyah, I hate to break it to you, but with your parents, and the world we live in, you should have known that this was never for you to decide."