Chapter Ten

Ivan

As I stood there, waiting for Nyah to walk down the aisle, I realized something vitally important; I was falling love with her. I wasn't surprised I felt this way, I was more surprised with myself for taking this long to truly realize it.
Before now, two weeks had seemed like a long time, but here, it seemed to have gone by too damn fast. In front of the guests, I stand with Kaian and Malachi behind me, awaiting Nyah's arrival. My nerves coursing through my entire body like gymnasts on crack in the middle of a performance.
I took a deep breath and focused on the surroundings. It was cool and breezy with the near setting sun as the backdrop for the ceremony. The wooden chairs were now filled with crowds of people who I made out as some of my father's most trusted people. Eliana took it as her responsibility to create a guest list and I was glad she did, I was not going to let this day get ruined.
When the flower girl began tossing white tulip petals on the ground, my heart beat faster by the minute. I took another steadying breath, I could not have a heart attack now that my wife was about to walk down the fucking aisle.
The harp began to play a mellow tone and she appeared, taking my damn breath away and I willed myself not to blink, not look away because this? This was a sight I wanted ingrained in my brain for the rest of my fucking life.
I ignored the presence of her father beside her. If I had it my way, he wouldn't even be here at all. She walked with grace, looking like an angel in her white dress; an off the shoulder, silk ball gown. Her skin glowed beneath the sun's golden hour, her bright eyes behind the veil, seeking mine. I kept my gaze on her, was I fucking crying? A quick touch to my face proved that yes, there were tears there, tears I didn't know I was capable of shedding. Somebody patted my shoulder and I wiped them away quickly, now Nyah was right in front of me, her brows drawn together. I held my hand out to her and she took it, her eyes, full of concern, still on me.
"You okay?" she whispered.
I cleared my throat. "You're beautiful,"
She couldn't respond because the ceremony commenced and the priest began his long lecture.
It felt like eternity before he uttered the words 'you may now kiss the bride' and now, with her facing me, I pulled the veil over her face, letting it fall back so I could see her clearly.
God, she was beautiful.
I ran my thumb across her cheek and she smiled at me, a small smile. The hand that was in my other one, squeezed it for comfort. I cupped her face, kissing her with everything I felt for her. Kissed her with every emotion that threatened to surface and bubble out of my lips, emotions that I needed to keep to myself.
Silently, through that kiss, I promised her I would be there to protect her, to keep her safe until the day I died, even after that, and to do everything in my capability to be the man she deserved.
But for now, my love for her would remain just that; an unspoken vow.

~~~

The party started right after.
Nyah had changed into a smaller dress, it was skin tight, showing off her curves and I had to clench my hand around the arm of the chair as I watched her dance with Eliana, in front of all of these damn people, men's eyes all over her.
I stood up, an impulse to go over there where she was standing and stake my claim, but before I could make any rash decisions, I was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice.
"Ivan?" I turn to find a middle aged man, with a kind smile, his hand extended for me to shake. "My name is Devon, I'm Nyah's uncle," he said.
I shook his hand, cautious on the inside because if this man was anything like Nyah's father, the list of people I would have to keep an eye on would earn a new name.
"Uncle Dev!" Nyah's voice flitted through and she nearly ran into the man's arms. "I thought you weren't coming! What a wonderful surprise." she smiled, genuinely, not like the fake smiles she exchanged with her parents who were now watching us like vultures.
"Whoever told you that and convinced you I would miss my niece's wedding is a very good liar," he grinned, embracing her again. "I wouldn't miss this for the world,"
My shoulders relaxed at the smile they exchanged.
"Have you guys been introduced?" she asked, looking from him to me.
"Just about," I said, finding my voice. I turned to her uncle, nodding. "It's good to meet you and I'm glad you could make it,"
"It's my honor, thank you for inviting me,"
"Uncle Dev, is that you?" Eliana's voice took on an unbelievably high pitch and she full on body slammed famous 'uncle Dev'.
He laughed. "The one and only," he grinned when Eliana pulled back.
"So glad you're here to join us, come on, I'll show you to the champagne, I ordered the best one because I had a sneaking feeling that you were gonna be here, and as always, I was right." she laughed and he joined her as if that was an inner joke only the two of them shared. They went, arm in arm, towards the bar.
I turned to Nyah who was watching them with a wide smile on her face.
"You hungry?" she asked, finally looking at me.
What I was hungry for, was not at all food. "Yes," I said.
"Good, because the food smells delicious, they're serving it in a minute, come on let's sit."
The chef went onto the stage, telling us about everything they were serving, a five course meal including three different choices for each course.
As the dinner was served, Nyah and I were showered with endless gifts, Eliana stood on the platform, telling us all about her present.
"It wouldn't be a bomb ass wedding if the honeymoon wasn't fun, right?" She began with a smile, getting a cheer of approval from the audience. "Will the bride and groom open the treasure boxes in front of them, please?"
Nyah looked at me with the hint of a smile on her lips and the prospect of what you do on a honeymoon clouded my vision, making inappropriate places demand attention.
She handed me the treasure box and we opened it at the same time.
Inside was a ticket to Bali, the flight leaving tomorrow morning.
Fucking hell.
"Eliana!" Nyah exclaimed, nearly knocking her chair down from standing up so fast.
Eliana squealed in response and hugged Nyah tightly.
"Bali seems fitting, no?" She asked the audience. "Lots of water for bikini season," she winked.
I haven't seen Nyah in a bikini before and imagining her in one now... fuck.
She returned to her seat, sitting down, her scent drifting to me. Cherries and summer. I had to get my body under control before I did anything I'll regret.
We ate dinner in silence, thanking the people who continue to congratulate us, passing by our table to take pictures with us and I could see from the corner of my eye that Nyah was enjoying herself.
She propped her elbow on the table and put her chin on her hand, watching me. "You've been a bit quiet, something wrong?" she asked, the scent of wine, mixed with her addicting smile made me want to kiss her.
I took her other hand, the one with the engagement and wedding rings on it, and pressed a kiss to her palm. "Have I told you yet that you look stunning?" I asked, moving a strand of her curly hair away from her eyes.
She smiled, leaning into my touch, then looked away, pretending to think. "Hm, no I don't think you have,"
I kissed her hand again. "You, Nyah, are undeniably the most stunning woman I've ever laid my eyes on," I whispered, running my thumb across her cheek.
"I want you to kiss me..." she whispered, then brought my thumb to her lips. "Here,"
I pulled her out of her chair, letting her sit on my lap and kissed her on the lips, ignoring all the eyes that would undoubtedly be on us.
"Mm," she smiled, pulling back. "There's something I need to show you," She said, looking into my eyes with an intense desire.
I kissed her collarbone. "Come on then, show me,"
I held her hand as we wove through the crowd, I found Eliana and grabbed her by the arm, earning a glare.
"We're gonna go, don't get too drunk." I told her, as she tried to wriggle herself out of my grip.
I searched the crowd for Malachi and found him in a corner, making out with some girl he most likely just met.
Kaian, with a fixed scowl on his face, looked over the crowd as if he hated every single soul in this room. He probably did.
"Kaian!" I called out, he looked at me and walked forward. "Take Eliana home after, and don't let her get too drunk,"
"I'm not a fucking child, Ivan, I'll go home by myself,"
But I was already walking away, with Nyah clinging to my arm.
"Nyah! I already packed your stuff so no worries for tomorrow." She yelled after us. Nyah gave her a thumbs up.
We stepped out of the large wooden doors and into the driveway of the luxurious hotel.
She looked up, her eyes twinkling. "The stars, Ivan, look at them." She sighed, squeezing my hand.
I watched her staring up, and knew that all of those damn stars could never equate to her beauty.
"This hotel has been my dream location because of the views. Come with me, let me show you," she said.
With her hand still in mine, we went into the hotel's main entrance and into the foyer, she led me up an ornate set of stairs, white marble and gold railing. Then through a set of wooden doors onto the roof.
It was cold, a bit windy and I felt her skin prick with goosebumps. I took my suit jacket off and put it on her shoulders.
She smiled at me, "thank you,"
She walked on to the very edge of the railing and my heart skipped a beat. "Nyah come here,"
She looked at me with a frown. "Why? I need to show you the view!"
"You're too damn close to the edge,"
Her shoulders slumped, looking at me in a confused way then slowly, she straightened, a smile blooming on her face. "Don't tell me you're afraid of heights, Ivan."
I clenched my jaw. "Come here,"
She laughed. "All my life, I thought there was nothing that could scare you and in reality, you're scared of heights!" She exclaimed as if this was the best fucking news she's ever heard.
She took my hand and dragged me with her to the wall looking over the damn view.
"See? It's worth the fright,"
I held her by the waist, looking down at the road below, the neighbouring buildings not as tall as this one and the ocean beyond. There was something odd about how it looked. Odd in a way that makes you feel like you're not on earth. As if this place, on this roof, was another world.