Chapter Four

Ivan

"You're a fucking bastard, you know that?" Malachi asks, laughing.

"That was the first time I've ever seen that damned man speechless," Kaian added.

For the first time in a long time, I felt good about something I did. I was angry, of course, I didn't know her father hit her, though being that he was, I wasn't too surprised. I was angrier at myself for not noticing he was abusive towards her before. My father told me, and me alone, after he made that deal with Mr. Frey, that I could claim my end of the deal whenever I wanted. Had I known he was abusing her, I would have married her a lot sooner. Now, I promised myself that I would do everything it took to make sure that Nyah felt safe and protected, and nobody would dare touch her again.

After my announcement regarding our marriage, I gave Nyah no time to pack anything and told her mother she can send all her things to my house.

"It was pretty fucking heroic, if you ask me," Malachi grinned.

Knowing that I was doing something good for her made me feel a lot better about all the other reasons I agreed to marry her. Those reasons were selfish; I wanted her all to myself. I hated to admit it, but it was true, I wanted her and there wasn't a thing in the world that could change that.

We got home after Nyah and Eliana, finding them in the lounge, eating fruits, Nyah in one of Eliana's pajama dresses. They both looked up at us, in their matching clothes and waved, in sync. I fought the urge to smile.

Their friendship grew strong throughout the years, they'd been friends ever since they both came into the world, it was odd enough that my parents had twins but Nyah was practically a triplet. She was born the same day they were and since then, they did everything together until their teenage years, when Malachi chose different friends, he still kept them close.

"I'm going to bed," Kaian said, walking up the stairs, not giving anybody a second glance.

Malachi untied his tie and walked into the lounge to join them. "Are we having a tea party?" he asked, in that joking tone he always used around the two of them.

Eliana threw a grape at him and Nyah smiled but looked past him, at me. We locked gazes, hers are kind and searching. What was she looking for when she looked at me?

"Good night," I said, giving her a curt nod then headed upstairs, reveling in the sense of relief, knowing she was here, in my home. Safe and sound.

~~~

I left my office around midday the next day, walking into the kitchen to see Eliana and Nyah out in the backyard in flowy summer dresses eating lunch on a picnic blanket. Beside them, Malachi was standing with Kaian, drinks in hand. The laughter passing between the four of them, conversation not once faltering.

Throughout the years of grade school then later on, in high school and throughout university, Malachi, Nyah and Eliana were the inseparable trio but Kaian was part of them too. The four of them hung out on weekends, days off of school, and summers. There were other kids, friends that drifted in and out of their lives but they were the group of friends that stayed together. Even now.

I would have liked to be part of their group but while they went on, having the time of their lives during school, not having a care in the responsibilities of being mafia lords' kids, I was stuck being my father's shadow. I'm sure he meant well and I appreciated it all. The training, preparing me for the cruel mafia world. The knowledge, making me understand the in and outs of the underground trade. And I was grateful for all the times it was just my father and I. The jokes we shared, the ones that stayed between us, the secrets, all of it. I missed those times everyday, but there were times when I wish he'd let me be a kid too.

"Hey," Nyah greeted as she walked into the kitchen. "Eliana and I are planning to go to the mall tomorrow, is that okay?" She asked, I only noticed now that she was holding a glass of lemonade.

I gave her a small smile and now that I had a good look at her, I fought every urge to touch her.

The dress, one of Eliana's, fit her body so perfectly, wrapping around her curves in the best way possible, the length barely touching her ankles, she was barefoot, with a gold chain around her right ankle and a simple gold necklace wrapped around her neck.

"You can do whatever you want," I replied, meeting her eyes again.

She smiled back at me then looked out the window. "You wanna join us? There's still plenty of food," she suggests, handing me the glass.

I took it from her, mulling over her invitation but now wasn't right, I wanted her to enjoy herself and I doubted me being around would let her do that. "I'll eat in my office," I answered. "Thank you," I added, raising the glass.

"No problem," she smiled again. Damn, the things that her smile did to me. I wanted to grab her by the waist, and kiss that beautiful mouth of hers. 

She was about to leave but then turned around and faced me again. "Oh and Ivan? Thank you," she said. "For bringing me home."