Chapter 4: Unlucky Realizations, Pt. 1

Staring at the book that had been placed in front of him, Calvin suppressed a groan. Out of all the subjects that woman could have taught, it just had to be Math, didn't it?

After scolding him for attempting to skip her class, something which Calvin hadn't even wanted to do, the young woman, whom he had later learned was called Mademoiselle Laurence, had grabbed him around the wrist and walked him through the large school building until they reached a classroom lined with desks on the second floor.

It had taken them a while before reaching it, around ten minutes if Calvin had to make a rough guess. He remembered mentally complaining, this school is too big.

Additionally, people had stared at the pair as they passed, Mademoiselle Laurence's fingers tightly encased around his wrist as she practically dragged him along.

In a sense, the situation, while uncomfortable, had been quite helpful as he was no longer as lost as he had previously been. Knowing that he would not be able to escape without causing a huge commotion, he had ceased fighting against her grip and instead moved along obediently. Silently he had taken in his surroundings while creating a mental map. After all, he would have to find the classroom tomorrow as well.

As he followed the petite teacher, he prayed that the classroom he was being hauled to would be the only room he would have to remember. Of course, he knew that the possibility of this was beyond slim but a boy could dream... even if he played the role of villain.

Both had remained mostly silent while walking; Mademoiselle Laurence exchanging quick greetings with teachers, and even students, that passed.

Weird looks had been thrown at Calvin, but he couldn't get himself to care.

It was in their right to look at him, even if it made him uncomfortable.

Eventually they reached the classroom, where she then pulled him inside without hesitation. Immediately Calvin's ears were met by disdained groans and questions directed towards Mademoiselle Laurence as to why she had brought him with her.

Their comments had kind of hurt but once Calvin had put himself in their shoes, he had realized that he wouldn't have been particularly fond of sharing a classroom with some egoistic idiot either.

Ignoring them, he had sat down on one of two free seats situated at the back of the room. Mademoiselle Laurence had then come and given him a book while saying, "I assume you didn't bring it, so I brought an extra copy for you. I expect this one to not vanish into thin air after one day."

Not seeing the need to respond, Calvin had only nodded slightly before opening the book where the first question was: 'Solve x for x + 4 = 0'.

He had almost cried.

Not only was this Math but it was also freaking easy.

What a waste of energy.

So, he had done the only logical thing to do: he had dozed off on his desk while enjoying the warmth of the stream of light peeking out from behind the sheer curtains. Additionally, he had listened to the whispers around him, using the information to figure out his situation and make a plan. According to them, magic class was next and while that was uncharted territory, Calvin had decided it was something he looked forward to.

It's more interesting than easy problems about quadratic formulas, he had mumbled to himself, before adding, I had all of this in high school.

That thought had made him pause in dreaded realization.

Suppressing an irritated groan he had remembered, Oh wait, I am now in high school. Fuck.

Despite the information being nothing new, it still antagonized him infinitely. The only upside was that since then he had been able to fully blend out the whispers mocking him and instead was able to focus on organizing his thoughts properly.

Or at least that had been the case if he hadn't been interrupted by Mademoiselle Laurence strictly calling his name and forcing him back into the present.

"Mr. Cinderbreaker?"

Calvin looked up and saw that she had written yet another easy equation on the board: 'Solve x for x^2 + 3x – 4 = 0'.

He stifled a yawn behind the back of his unusually slim hand, Kieran's hand.

How boring.

"Could you please come up and solve this equation?"

Calvin suppressed a sigh.

As easy as these questions seemed to him, apparently they were supposed to be difficult in this world. He had been vaguely aware of five others struggling with the answer of the previous three questions and Cal wasn't planning on being recognized as an imposter just because he could do math.

Idiots.

He had never understood how people didn't understand math. It was pure logic. Perhaps that is what had driven him to enroll for a mathematics degree: the hope of finding others that were more like him rather than his sister who wrote stories and pursued a philosophy degree.

Returning his attention to the board, Calvin was about to answer with a tired, I don't know, when a random student spoke up and made a comment that annoyed him.

"Ms., are you sure it is useful to ask him? I bet that if you knocked on his head you would hear the hollowness hidden behind his large forehead."

The audacity made Calvin pause and look over to see who would dare make such a comment in front of the teacher nonetheless. The person responsible wore a smug grin on his tanned face, while threading his hand through his wavy brown hair provocatively.

Why Calvin suddenly felt such hatred spike through him, he didn't know. However, what he did know was that, judging by the handsomely sharp features of the boy and his own reaction to seeing his face, he was one of the male leads from the novel. Which of the three, Cal had no idea. While he was sure he would recognize and distinguish between them once given a name and appearance, right now his thoughts lagged slightly behind.

"Mr. Crestbreeze!"

Aha, a name.

Calvin's attention snapped back to his teacher who stared at the boy in shock. Thoroughly flabbergasted, she exclaimed, "that is no way to address our fellow classmates!"

Either her behavior is a lie and she only cares about her standing as a teacher, or she actually cares about Kieran, Calvin thought, looking at both possible sides skeptically. He was leaning more towards the first.

From the corner of his eye, he saw the brunette only shrug nonchalantly, before commenting, "I don't see the lie."

"Kaeydan," a baritone voice commanded quietly, "enough."

In confusion Calvin turned his attention to the newest speaker, recognizing him immediately after seeing his face. Crown Prince Brandon, the main lead of the novel, sat on the other side of the room and observed the situation that enfolded in front of him calmly.

A silent command flared in his sky-blue eyes, despite his expression remaining frighteningly cool.

Processing the name he had just heard, a cold shudder ran down Calvin's spine. He had been right, the name that had just been used belonged to one of the male leads. Furthermore, it was the name of the scariest one out of the trio.

While Brandon had political power as a prince, Kaeydan was the trump card that acted in the shadows. An assassin that would kill with no second thought when given the command.