Chapter 8: Chess and Murder Mysteries

Ciel was an interesting personality.

Despite being so young, he possessed a lot of knowledge which allowed him to be labeled as a genius. His assets were countless, ranging from an abundance of historical facts to a good eye for mathematics. Add in an abundance of mana, followed the ability to easily use it and he was the picture-perfect scholar.

In a sense, Ciel was everything Kieran had wanted and more. Ciel was the epitome of what he could never be; the goal that he couldn't, and never did, reach.

Why?

Because Kieran, while good at magic, lacked all other skills that would have allowed him to be labelled a genius. He slacked off during class, bombed all exams and could not socialize to save his life. Add his arrogant attitude and things weren't looking too great.

Calvin sighed, if only Kieran had had any additional skill besides his magic, his ending might've been different.

"Brother?"

Cal looked up, meeting the brown eyes which gazed at him excitedly.

"Your turn!" Ciel chirped, motioning towards the makeshift chess board which lay in between them.

"Ah, right," the older responded, redirecting his attention to the board. Scowling, he moved his bishop to the top left to counter another one of Ciel's relentless attacks. Not like there was any other move he could have made in that scenario. Happy with himself, Calvin looked up at the blonde boy sitting across from him.

How's that?

Only Ciel's enthusiasm did not seem deterred at all, instead Calvin's confidence dimmed as he spotted the happy grin Ciel had hidden behind the hand that reached for his queen.

"Check mate."

He had no way out.

Ciel had won against him. Again.

For the twelfth time, if Calvin had been counting correctly.

With a sigh, he let his head drop onto his hands. Gradually these games were becoming less and less fun. Originally, he had assumed that there was nothing special about the young boy, judging that there was little to no information about him in the novel- for all he knew anyway. However, Ciel's vast knowledge and ability to strategically beat him in various games had surprised him countless times.

It felt unreal to know that the people who read 'Taming Him' did not speak a single word about Ciel. How was his wittiness not discussed? Surely he played some role in the novel, else the author wouldn't have created him the way they had. Even Calvin himself felt jealousy when spectating how easily the younger could study and absorb knowledge. Hell, he had taught Ciel the rules of chess yesterday after finding a board!

"So," Ciel started, drawing Calvin's attention back onto him, "what will we do now?"

Calvin hummed, well he definitely did not want to play another round of chess. What else could they do to fulfill his end of their agreement. It had to be a game or bonding activity of some sort.

Memory?

Although, they had played that twenty times already.

Blackjack?

But he didn't know where to find cards they could use, and making cards would require the basic artistic abilities Calvin did not have.

Discussing politics?

Nah, Cal was too unknowledgeable of that. Although it was embarrassing to admit, Ciel knew much more than he did.

Eventually Calvin looked up at Ciel, "Sorry, I can't think of anything fun that can be prepared on such a short notice."