Chapter 5: Unlucky Realizations, Pt. 2

Fear clutched at Calvin's throat, squeezing the pathway shut.

He hadn't planned to come face to face with two male leads this early on. He didn't even have a plan on how to avoid all his death flags yet.

Also, there was one thought that sat at the back of his mind, gnawing on him like a dog would chew on its bone. Where is Tristan?

Tristan Mailon was the third male lead in the book and the knight that followed Brandon wherever he went. While Tristan originally had feelings for the female lead in the novel, he backed off immediately once he realized his master also had his eyes set on her.

It had been nothing but puppy love, but his sister had loved it, cooing at the innocent touches shared between them and loving how romantic and cool Tristan was when he appeared in the book.

Calvin couldn't understand it. He didn't understand how she could coo at intimacy between others. How she explained that she, herself, wanted to have an intimate connection with someone, just like they had one.

The thought weirded him out, but in a sense he understood.

Which had led him to the next thought: perhaps it was just him. Maybe he was the unusual one. Wanting to know if he was the only one, his young self had looked online and found the terms asexual and aromantic. While he did not know if they entirely applied to him, he knew he was moving in the spectrum. Somehow the terms comforted him, showing him he was not alone. At least not entirely.

Breaking away from the memories he had tied to Tristan's character profile, he quickly scanned the room for him, hoping not to find him. However, he did and had to suppress the need to curse once he found who he was looking for.

The androgynous appearance of Tristan Mailon gave him away immediately. His slender build and long blonde hair perfectly hiding the strength he used to protect Brandon. He wore round glasses and if Calvin hadn't known his personality and backstory from the book, he would've underestimated the danger Tristan posed to Kieran.

Fuck.

He was so screwed.

With one male lead he could still stay under the radar. But all three? In one classroom??

How had he been unlucky enough to end up in this scenario?!

Cal had to suppress a flinch when Brandon's cold gaze jumped from Kaeydan to him.

"Well?" the prince questioned.

Too preoccupied with the growing panic he felt, Calvin tilted his head slightly to the side. What exactly does he want from me?

The movement was not enough for anyone to notice, but his silence gave enough of an answer.

Annoyance slipped into the prince's tone when he elaborated, "What are you waiting for? Go answer the question like Mademoiselle Laurence asked."

Oh, the question, Calvin swallowed, I almost forgot about that.

He couldn't answer though. He had to pull through with the villain act, even if doing so made him nauseous beyond belief.

Hoping his expression didn't give him away, he responded with a snarky tone, "and if I don't want to? Why struggle when everyone here is already doing the work for me?"

He saw Tristan stiffen at his response, hand reaching for something attached to his hip, while Kaeydan's smug grin twisted into something more psychotic and violent.

Holy freaking shit, I am so screwed. If I don't die now it's because of a miracle.

However, just as it seemed like the two were going to pounce and attack him, the door to the classroom swung open and a tall boy dressed all in black came in.