1.

                         ───※ ·❆· ※───

The woman wakes up the sleeping boy frantically,  eyes fluttering open, catching sight of his mother's worried and fearful face. Anxious, he asks, "What happened, mother?! Is everything alright? Is Su-jin alright?"

His mother hurriedly shushed him and put her hand on his shoulder. "Our house has been attacked! Your father is not home yet; you have to get out of here, run away, and take your sister with you," she said frantically, putting the bundled toddler in his hand, observing their surroundings to check whether the assailants were near her children.

She unlocked the sliding door of the chamber and led them to the rear gate of the cottage.

The striking of two swords seized the boy's attention who veered around to see his mother wielding her sword against the assailant, whose face was covered by a black article of clothing, his skin was splintered open like a serpent cuticle, and he was turning ebony and started snarling and grunting towards his mother.

The boy steered and hid beside the window side table with his sister at the end of the foyer while watching his mother fighting like a warrior, sending blue orbs of energy toward the other man, who made an effort to stimulate a shield to defend himself but attacked out by the noblewoman.

"Ji hun-ah! Come here, quickly -" The boy gathered himself up and went to his mother. The lady sat on her knees so she can see his face clearly and place both her hands on his cheeks, trying to memorize his face as this might be the final time she'll be able to see her children's faces.

She tightened them into her embrace, trying not to cry, and put on a brave front for her children. "You are a big brother now; you have to take care of your sister, ok!" She said while taking out a dagger from her silk gown sleeve and handing over it to him."Always know that you are a very spirited boy; my son, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ok?"

She looks around impatiently."Now you have to do as I say, ok? you have to get out of here to your father safely, he doesn't know that we have been attacked, and you're going to have a beautiful life, and your sister will grow up with you being by her side every day, pledge me you will always protect her, okay?"

The boy seemed to be retaining back his tears so that he can reassure his mother that he is brave, he nodded and said"Yes Mother, I promise to stay by Su-jin's side and always protect her."

Keeping every cry back, she gave him a teary-eyed smile and kissed both of their heads one last time. She picked him up to make him climb out of the window, which led to the rear boardwalk

."Ji hun-ah! Go to Maidservant Kim, you know her, right? You and your sister would be safe there."

The boy nodded to ensure her that he would do solely as she said. He turned towards the path, which ushers him to the Jang household, "- and Ji-hun remembers that your mother loves you both so much, so be safe and stay out of trouble." Jang, Mi said as she let her tears fall from her eyes.

Ji Hun tried not to cry, but his eyes betrayed him, and his small face got covered by his tears. He sent a teary-eyed smile toward his mother: " Will be by her side mother, I will always protect my sister." Those were the final words of the boy to his mother.

                           ───※ ·❆· ※───

                           ───※ ·❆· ※───

His tiny fists banged on the entrance hard, calling his master or the maidservant for help, balancing his sister on his shoulder. he cried, "Master Jang! Master! It is Jin Ji Hun, please open the door!" The pouring downpour was hard that it dissolved the kid's screams. "Maidservant, Kim! It's me, Ji-hun, please let me in. I need your help!"

The door cracked open abruptly, revealing the pregnant noble lady of the house, who caught the sight of the trembling boy with his infant sister in his hands, crying and yelling,

"Ji hun-ah! What are you doing in the rain?-and why are you here?-" She cut herself off and quickly led the children into the house, closing the door behind them.

She sat him down and picked up his sister. "What happened mistress - Ya! Ji-hun! What are you doing here this late? Does your mother know that you are-" The maid caught the look on the young boy's face, and her eyes widened. "Maidservant Kim, please bring a blanket to the boy quickly."
The lady instructed. The maid nodded and went to fetch the blanket for the shivering boy.

"Ji hun-ah! You need to calm down, ok?" The boy took some deep puffs and glanced at his sister to see her sleeping soundly in the lady's arms.
"Now tell me what happened, and where is your mother?"

The boy let his tears fall from his eyes. "The house was attacked - I didn't know what to do. Our mother said to go somewhere safe- Miss Do! My mother needs help; she is all alone fighting!" he choked out while getting up, hoping to help his mother.

"Jin Ji Hun! Stop right there. I am going to send a message to Songrim and alert the mages, okay? They are going to help Jang Mi." She ensured while summoning the maidservant.

"Yes, Mistress," the maidservant answered, coming through the door and putting the blanket on Ji Hun's shoulders," Alert the mages, there has been an attack! Light the lanterns and cue them." The maid nodded and went out.

Do Hwa look into the boy's eyes which were reflecting his fear that he might lose his mother. "Now tell me calmly about what happened?"

He hesitantly began "I don't remember much, but I think the assailants were the soul shifters the mages were looking for." His head hung low, a remorseful expression on his face for eavesdropping on the matters he was not supposed to.

The lady sighed at the young boy's behaviour, as he had a knack for getting in trouble. She worried about her friend before she could have said something the maidservant came running " There is a fire! I think it's on the edge of the forest near the Jin cottage!"

                         ───※ ·❆· ※───