Chapter six

Aurora was sitting at the kitchen table with her head in her hands while John B was sleeping on the pull out couch. She stood up instantly when she heard a banging on the door. "DCS! I know you're in there!"

Her eyes widened. "John B! Wake up!" she whisper yelled. He opened his eyes and slowly turned onto his back to look out the window when JJ jumped in front of it and scared him.

"Whoa!"

"Gotcha, slick."

"What the fuck, JJ." Aurora said exasperated. "You scared the shit outta me."

"Sorry, Rori," he said inbetween him laughing. "You should've seen your face. Your face was like..." JJ imitated John B.

***

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara," JJ pointed out. "She clearly likes you. She's like, "Oh, John B." He leaned his head back moaning John B's name.

"Is that what she does?"

"JJ, that was disusting," Aurora laughed, her hand over her stomach. She was bent over, her stomach starting to hurt from laughing so much at the boy's conversation. She wasn't sure if she'd ever laughed this much in her life.

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you, bro."

"She kissed me on the cheek."

"Yeah, that was kinda weird," Aurora interrupted.

"Look, it's not like we were makin' out,"

"Low hanging fruit," JJ said. "Don't pretend that you don't notice, I see it in your eyes." JJ pointed at himself aggressively. "You're like, "I kinda like that," and you start blushing and shit."

"I blush?"

"Yeah,"

"Sorry, but yeah,"

JJ leaned forwards and grabbed the compass off the front of the car. John B leaned forward smacking JJ's hand trying to get him to give the compass back."

"I was just looking at it," JJ said defensively. "I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky." He started twirling it around in his hand.

"You think,"

"Yeh. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure out this whole thing." John B stated.

"I'm sure she would just love to talk to us. It's not like her husband just drowned or anything." JJ sighed. Aurora shook her head leaning on the side of JJ seat.

"JJ, I have some advice for you. Shut up before I make you go in the back and have Aurora sit up here instead. Because right now, she's really seeming like the best person to talk to in this car."

After that JJ shut up as they continued their ride to Ms. Lana's house. They drove down a dirt road and came to a stop at an old red house.

"You know what this house looks like?" JJ asked. "The person that lives here smoked too much weed." They continued their path up to the house.

"Of course that's the first thing you would think of, JJ."

"Well, why isn't it the first thing you think of, Rori?" Seagulls squawked above them, looking for some good food in the marsh. The sound of glass shattering comes from inside the house making all of the teens jump a little. More things continually crash making them stop in their place, listening to what was happening on the inside.

"Bullshit!"

"Maybe we should come back..." JJ suggested.

"No, no, no."