7 stupid shifts

I still had a few hours before I needed to get ready to go back to work. With my spare time I decided to clean up the mess I had made that morning, food lying across the counters and blood splatters trailing across the kitchen from the chopping board to the sink. It looked like a sloppy murder scene.

Luckily the clean up did not take any where near as long as I thought it would and I was finished within twenty minutes, so busied myself with tiding up bits around my place; putting books away, folding laundry, handing up shirts etc.

And finally once all that was complete I allowed myself to rest on the couch and reflect on the eventful morning I had. I looked at my perfectly bandaged thumb and winced as I tried to bend it. Sometimes I was too clumsy for my own good. I reached over and turned on the television, but there was nothing particularly good on to watch so I turn to a radio station to put on music and lay back down. Staring at the ceiling, empty minded listening to the music for a while when I decide I want a nap before I have to get up for work. So, turning off the TV, I grab my phone put an alarm on for an hour and a half and turn on some white noise and close my eyes.

My blissful dreams are interrupted by the infuriating noise of my alarm. Groaning, I roll over and cover my eyes with my arm while reaching for my alarm to turn it off. I stare once again at the ceiling, silently regretting my decision to become a doctor because of the ridiculous hours and shifts. But I save lives. I internally roll my eyes at the thought. It's not that I don't like saving lives, it's just that I like my sleep schedule, well, did, before it got ruined by work.

Regardless, I dragged myself up and off of the couch before I merged and became one with it. With my feet dragging behind me in my still asleep state, I wandered to the kitchen to make myself a coffee and a bag of crisps. I threw myself down on the dining room chair and rested my head in my hands to get that last bit of tired out of my system.

By the time I had finished my coffee and eaten the crisps I needed to get my coat and leave. I grabbed my keys and phone and left my house.

The night was rather uneventful and rather boring for the better part. More stupid drunks, broken arms from trampolines, burns from hot coffee, the works. So at five in the morning I found myself dragging myself back out to go home and sleep for an eternity.

I couldn't wait to get into bed knowing I didn't need to be up at all the next day as I wasn't working at all until the following. And that it was a relatively normal shift, from eight till eight.