5 | Last Minute Regrets

Trouvaille

(n.) Something lovely that is discovered by chance.

It had been weeks since Cole last saw Vania. Not that he was counting down the days or was bothered by the lack of her presence, but it was hard not to notice when every single customer that entered the cafe caught his attention.

"Okay, you're starting to freak me out." Nya commented after what was probably the fifth time his head turned to the direction of the door after the bell chimed.

Cole was rubbing the sore spot where he'd hit the top of the glass case after lifting his head a little too quickly. "What are you talking about?"

"You clearly miss her, why don't you just text this girl and ask her out?" Cole mumbled something in response and Nya crossed her arms. "What was that?"

"I didn't get her number." A hand swatted the back of his head. "Ow! Hey!"

"That's what you get for being stupid. How could you let her go just like that?"

In Cole's defense, he didn't really plan on having her in his life in the first place. But then again, Cole didn't expect that her absence would have such an impact on his mind.

Sure, they went on one unofficial date, and sure, he helped her when she needed it, and yes, he did bring her home that night—an action he said was only done because he didn't want her to get kidnapped or mugged during what was considered the dangerous hours of the city.

But he had no other reason to even begin missing her, let alone start to crave for her presence.

And yet, somehow, there was this itch in his mind that every person that walked through the door was her and she would come in with that beautiful smile and sparkling blue eyes just to ask how his day was or if he wanted to head out for another meal.

"Hello?" Nya was waving a hand in front of him. "Ninjago to Cole Brookstone." Cole continued to gaze at nothing, letting himself get absorbed by his own thoughts. "Oh look, Vania's here!"

He had never moved so fast in his life. "Where?!" He asked, turning his head left and right in a desperate attempt to find that familiar lock of blonde hair. Cole only stopped when Nya started laughing. "That's not funny."

"I don't need a degree in psychology to know that you're in love, Cole." Nya shook her head, pushing past him to access the coffee machines.

"You can't fall in love with someone you just met."

"And yet here you are, contradicting your own beliefs."

Cole refused to move from where he stood, his mouth slightly open, the gears of his mind running through every possible interpretation of what Nya just said. Had he really fallen for a girl he just met? Was he really a living irony?

"Move over, lover boy. It's almost closing time and I have to get home." Nya pushed past him again to serve the drink she just made.

The mention got Cole to snap out of his trance and smile.

Closing time. The most anticipated hour of every person who worked in an establishment that wasn't running on a 24/7 schedule. Where the only job left to do was close up the shop and prepare for the next day's shift.

And in this case, it was Cole's chance to finally breathe.

When Nya approached the front door to flip the sign to say 'closed' and the last of the day's customers left the building, they both released a huge sigh of relief.

The girl slumped against the glass doors, letting her head lean against the material. "Remind me to never take the night shift."

"It's your fault for choosing that schedule." Cole quipped, already moving to wipe down the counter with a yellow cloth and get their duties out of the way.