11 | Something and Somebody

Halcyon

(adj.) A period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful.

Cole always thought true happiness was found in fairy tales and bedtime stories. No one could ever be truly happy. At least, not for a long time.

But the very moment Cole caught a glimpse of true happiness, he clung onto it with every fiber in his being and never wanted to let go.

"Catch up, Cole! We're going to miss it." Was what snapped him out of his thoughts and who was he to say no to that?

Another day had bloomed in Ninjago City, the skies were clear of any clouds and the sun shined at its peak that early morning. Harumi had informed him that their parents would be away since their services were needed elsewhere which means she was left in charge of the house.

Of course, knowing Vania and all, she refused to stay indoors and had practically dragged them outside the first chance she got.

"Fine, but we're bringing Lloyd." Harumi had declared when they practically crammed themselves in his car. Cole had to hide every single one of his belongings in the trunk to avoid the questions he didn't want to answer.

"Who's Lloyd?" He'd asked as he started the engine.

Vania was the one who answered. "Her boyfriend, obviously."

Nevertheless, he didn't expect someone as independent as Harumi to want a man for herself. She always seemed so capable to do anything without having someone help her, much less run a whole household without her parents' supervision, and saying he was surprised was an understatement.

They'd picked up Lloyd at the park and Vania was quick to greet him as if they'd known each other their whole lives—which was probably the case.

"Lloydie, this is Cole. Cole, Lloyd. He's..." Vania had bit her lip red as she struggled to finish that sentence.

Cole reached for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, something he never thought he'd find himself doing but for a reason he couldn't understand, all expectations and practicalities of who he was and what he was supposed to be were thrown out the window when it came to her.

"Her suitor." He'd simply said, giving the boy a nod of acknowledgement when he squinted his eyes at him. "Nice to meet you."

Lloyd crossed his arms and Cole could tell he was doing his best to live up to the role as her unofficial older brother. His efforts were obvious enough to make the entire encounter hilarious.

His hair was long and tousled, covering at least half of his nape and was blond enough to fit his role as a member of Vania and Harumi's family. And for a reason Cole couldn't understand, the boy refused to wear anything that wasn't green.

His hoodie was a shade of emerald green that matched his eyes, his baggy pants were green, his shoes were green, heck, even the case of the camera dangling from his neck was green.

Either he really loved the color or he was prepared enough to camouflage in the jungle in case a disaster were to happen.

Nevertheless, he'd never seen anyone dedicated to a color that much. Cole eyed the black and grey that made up his outfit. Okay, perhaps he didn't know someone else who was dedicated to a color that much.

But in Cole's defense, it was one that suited him well and reflected his emotions at the same time. In his book, it was like killing two birds with one stone.

"I'll have to be the judge of that." Lloyd had said, voice a little too deep to be considered normal.

Vania responded with a laugh and a shake of her head from the front seat. "I liked you the second Rumi brought you home. Why is this supposed to be different?" Cole didn't realize there was a blush on her face until he caught a glimpse of her cheeks.